Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!!
1 minute ago, Bazray said:

Welcome to the mad house, have fun and enjoy your snow ☃️

Thanks, I realise what I'm getting myself into lol. Hoping for a bit more snow but not too optimistic this far south.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Still experencing moderate snowfall here in NE Wiltshire, pretty surprised to be honest!  Radar wasn't looking too encouraging earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

MO running with snow until 6pm this evening. It got down to 0.3°C overnight here, it's currently 1.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!!
4 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Welcome to the snow-starved thread! We got lucky to the north of the region. Hope you can get more down there through Feb.

Thanks, I'm so jealous of you guys further north but at least we got some. Enjoy it!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High pressure, snow + alll extremes of weather

Another hour of this and I could squeeze out 24cm I reckon.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The band seems to be weakening. PUSH WEST!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

17cm here and still falling heavy, best ever :yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

From the netweather radar it just looks so close

Screenshot_20190201-104000_NW Snow Radar.jpg

Posted

This is utter madness! look at that energy swinging through London from the SE coast and re-invigourating the ppn to the NE

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters

Astonishing how this area of ppn just keeps reinforcing... Anyone knowledgeable explain how this is happening?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 minutes ago, Selliso said:

Astonishing how this area of ppn just keeps reinforcing... Anyone knowledgeable explain how this is happening?

The lord works in mysterious ways.  :yahoo:

App says it will clear mid afternoon but will it?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
1 minute ago, Selliso said:

I’ve asked this on the Cold Hunt thread, it’s not too busy on there so hoping the post won’t get lost and I’ll get reply! 

I’ve run the radar animation from 4 hours ago to now - apart from losing the thin line of snow to the east this little system has only moved a few miles east in all that time. Amazing. And yeah it just keeps going like you said! Is it really pulling more stuff from the SE that’ll end up in it? Bloody hell! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

One model foresaw this - HIRLAM 12z if yesterday had a substantial reinvigoration across the W country  today, albeit about 50 miles further south.

I wonder how well it will hold together as it gets drawn SE as the trough moves away east? I’ve been in the periphery all morning so far with mostly light snow or ani grains. Almost moderate rates for the past half hour though as even the edges of the main action zone are pepping up a little.

Currently 4-7 cm level snow in the valley and 6-9 cm up on the sides - just 90 m difference but it counts for a lot!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Managed a couple of hours sleep. Woke up thinking it had stopped but nope.. Still going 

20190201_104010.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
Just now, SilverWolf said:

I’ve asked this on the Cold Hunt thread, it’s not too busy on there so hoping the post won’t get lost and I’ll get reply! 

I’ve run the radar animation from 4 hours ago to now - apart from losing the thin line of snow to the east this little system has only moved a few miles east in all that time. Amazing. And yeah it just keeps going like you said! Is it really pulling more stuff from the SE that’ll end up in it? Bloody hell! 

I keep looking and it seems to retreat east slightly then push again from the east so not actually moving.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Utterly fascinating snow spell this, in Wantage close to the eastern extent of the precipitation which appears to be moving west,  except more keeps building to the east.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

You know it's a decent event when your sat on the downstairs lav having a good download, you have the window cracked open a tad to let out potential nasty whiffs, and you then come out of said lav with snowflakes on your head!! lol

Posted
5 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Hello. Just popping in from the Midlands thread to say: good for you guys! It is actually cheering me up a lot reading this. Yes, it's very frustrating for it to be totally dry here in north Worcs when nearly every forecast had me in the sweet spot (Worcester seems about the N boundary) but it's so good to see many of you in the SW finally get a really big fall.

If anyone here ever looked enviously at the Midlands in Dec 2017 when we had the huge fall and wondered what it was like... well, it was like this! Enjoy!

Popped into to exactly the same, but spare a though for us North Westerners who missed out on that Dec 2017 event as it slid down towards you, you could say this your eventual payback. Now we just need a Scottish blizzard to sink over the border and all is equal with the world.  Seriously guys out and enjoy this, snowfall like this is a rare treat.  Keep the pics coming as well, they're great.

Regards the intensification of the band, could it be the deep snow accumulations increasing moisture in the air and feeding more into to the precipitation?