Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
19 minutes ago, Lyn-M said:

4cms level snow here and it's just started to come back with very, very fine grains.

P1040162 (800x600).jpg

Similar here nr Colyton. Definitely light snow on the wind. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, khodds said:

Someone did say on the FB community page that the cheddar Road was dodgy but it was a couple of hours ago. Traffic is moving on the A371 to Shepton outside my house

4 minutes ago, jethro said:

I really wouldn't bother. No idea what the main roads are like, reports of jack knifed lorries and stuck/abandoned cars.

Snow day at home it is then!

• Like 3

Posted

Sat in my top room watching the snow fall over the valley, just stunning!

Opened the window and its lovely hearing people laughing and shouting, enjoying the snow. Can hardly hear a car at all ❄❄❄❄

Screenshot_20190201-090856.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 hour ago, divadee said:

So..... on to the next chase......? 

I haven't ventured into the mod threads and seen the fl charts. 

Just info the New Forest

5D4D3A05-1794-48C4-8D5A-9B321EE8B175.jpeg

BDED176B-8F71-497F-8839-80B8D4E52510.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Just got to work in stow to heavy snow 3inches deep but at mine back home 1cm painfully 5 miles outside the band all night!!! Think I'm gonna stay at work today lol or the local pub!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RAIN RAIN RAIN said:

Front dying on its weeble, 1-3cm looking optimistic 

What an idiot

Must have 10cms in North wilts, with more to come going by the radar and forecast. 

An amber warming east of all the falling snow, what are the met office smoking? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
13 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

Dont really understand the Meto amber warning currently. Heaviest snow risk seems to be to the west between Newbury and Bristol.

Went out earlier  - already covered footprints, it is coming down strongly and radar is not reflecting this?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Still snowing nicely here south of Marlborough but looks like it will fizzle out soon.  Definitely at the higher end of my expectations!  Work is closed too so all good

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Still falling lightly as per many others and we have an approximate snow cover of 50mm here in Newbury at 9 am. AP at 984.6mb still plenty low enough for a whole day's worth of intermittent snow around. It will be quite a memorable event to look back on, I reckon. 

Posted

Good 5cm overnight in Haddenham, Bucks. 

Was a bit worried at 9pm last night when I saw the precip dying before it got to me, but then saw it moving quite rapidly North just after 10pm and thought this is it game on 

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like some great snowfall for some of you - I'm just stalking your snow pics as my 1 inch here in the SE was washed away overnight  Keep the pics coming and hopefully you get more today ❄️

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 2

I'm down near Hutton WSM and roads didn't seem too bad, went up the hill to Canada Combe towards the golf course and some big drifts up there! 

I'm always surprised at the amount of disruption a little snow causes, as a matter of course I always put winter tires on my car's from around November till April, had absolutely no problem getting up steep hills in the snow (Audi Quattro system is amazing), wouldnt even think about it if I didn't have them though... As for cost, yes, it is expensive for a full set but it evens out to nothing after a few years as you spread your tire wear across two sets of tires...

Anyhow some pics from up the hills of Weston...

IMG_20190201_075043.jpg

IMG_20190201_075022.jpg

IMG_20190201_074657.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Caked! Still light snowhere

3186E410-A506-4FBD-8D51-F4AB9A9CC4C8.jpeg

62982F11-E0DB-49BF-B3ED-8DD8901A9AFA.jpeg

F1A09BFA-3B0F-462C-965F-F5CD3CD5351E.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

This is different to the snow falls I remember as kid in the 80’s. Normally after a night of snow like this it sort of turned to light sleet by the morning and decreased the snow depth before a freeze the next night. Not today! Trees are still hanging with snow, and it’s slowly building up still. Snow falling is still proper snow. 

• Like 2

Posted

So here just to the north of Portsmouth city centre, not a bad night - probably peaked 3-4cms before a simultaneous snow fall/melt kicked in around 11pm last night.

Very slightly mixed feelings for here - when you look at the charts synoptically, you think it's the kind of scenario you dream of, 20-40cm possible (if it had been a rain event I have no doubt that would have been the case, for some reason!) - but, on the other hand, to get any proper layer of snow on the ground in a southern coastal city is an achievement. 

So can't complain, but will admit I'd hoped for just a like more

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
13 minutes ago, CharmlessMan said:

Still snowing nicely here south of Marlborough but looks like it will fizzle out soon.  Definitely at the higher end of my expectations!  Work is closed too so all good

I wouldn't be surprised to see all that snow to the NW of us gradually pull down to the S/SE so may not be quite over just yet!

Edited by wiltshire weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

which direction is the ppn actually going? 

Posted

This is getting silly now! Nearly 6 inches/15cms!  Another train shot..and a general back garden one!

IMG_20190201_090500.jpg

IMG_20190201_090941.jpg

• Like 4