Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Anything in Oxford yet? Lived there for 4 years but now residing in Gibraltar  I miss the UK and the snow though  I told my uncle who lives in Oxfordshire to expect 5-10cm of snow tonight. Hope I don't end up with egg on my face!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
9 minutes ago, meshellby said:

Snowing in Verwood for the last 45 mins or so but not settling, think the 20 mins of rain we had beforehand may have scuppered it, looks pretty though!! 

Wet ground does not stop snow from settling, I have seen this theory posted so many times in various threads.

If the air cools enough, and the dew points fall below freezing then the damp ground will freeze as the snow falls, and the snow will settle perfectly.

If the air is slightly to mild or the dew points are to warm then it won’t settle regardless of how wet or dry the ground is. Evaporative cooling is a good example of how heavy snow can fall but not necessarily settle.

Of course there is always a complex set of parameters involved with snow settling, but the ground being wet doesn’t dictate if it settles or not.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
1 minute ago, andy_leics22 said:

Anything in Oxford yet? Lived there for 4 years but now residing in Gibraltar  I miss the UK and the snow though  I told my uncle who lives in Oxfordshire to expect 5-10cm of snow tonight. Hope I don't end up with egg on my face!!

The words egg and oh...........doh!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: coldy

Looks to all be fizzling out rather quickly in the channel for our region, the SE could be hit nicely if that chunk of heavy stuff pivots 

Edited by billyc

Posted
Just now, SizzlingHeat said:

Moderate snow in Poole but not settling anywhere. Too wet 

It’s not the ground that’s to wet, it’s the airmass that is not allowing it to settle. See post above

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I don't know how many people are on here that are under that amber warning, but it was valid from 2pm, and it expires in 2 and half hours. I haven't seen many reports or amazing pictures yet?

Isn’t looking a great warning is it? The weather system definitely behaving differently than forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie
3 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

I’m about ten miles west of Oxford and nothing here.... yet. Positive vibes needed 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Heavy snow here now. Not really settling at the moment but might soon if it carries on like this. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Met office app now changed to pretty much all rain for IOW think we are going to miss the boat on this one sadly

CE633676-197C-43E2-BE58-19968CF9DD38.png

778EDEB6-AA75-48B7-AB08-29C2F4915CC9.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

starting to settle here now

• Like 2

Posted

Finished work for the week? ✔

Radar set up on laptop? ✔

Council fixed the lamppost? ✔

Fire lit?✔

Move chair by fire, still see window?✔

Cat on lap?✔

Glass of red wine in hand?✔

Takeaway ordered?✔

First flakes of snow?✔

So it begins!

It better bloody snow now if not going to have a really nice evening but not memorable.

Good luck all ❄❄❄❄❄❄

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
4 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Put it this way Andy, you have more chance of laying snow in Gibraltar tonight than I do....lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Ok now I'm a little concerned, had an hour of fairly heavy snow but nothing has settled and now the band of ppn seems to be fizzling out and moving off to the east.

Ironically looks like parts of Cornwall have done the best out of this so far,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

In the last 5 minutes a bit of snow has pepped up slightly, I wonder if it will happen after all. 

Posted

Not looking to promising for snowfall in many places to be honest.

DBE1730F-2779-4B78-ABB1-A2F75EACD77C.thumb.png.3738cc3ce23ecdd55c9f903007d7710c.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

We seem to have a northward push starting abit over somerset.... come on you can make it :clapping:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
17 minutes ago, Blizzardof82 said:

Ian Ferguson sitting on the fence re Northern extent of snow on Points West  

It would be greatly nice if they would just say look we got it wrong and it's not their fault they're only human I know supercomputer can predict the weather the weather will do what it wants to do as proven now and so many times before . 

I haven't seen the points west forecast but it's funny how he is now sitting on the fence yet before he had warnings out so basically all of the forecasters have got it wrong most of us on here including myself I've got it wrong and I don't mind admitting that either but I wish they would on TV 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow
4 minutes ago, billyc said:

Looks to all be fizzling out rather quickly in the channel for our region, the SE could be hit nicely if that chunk of heavy stuff pivots 

Exactly what I'm thinking now unfortunately (for us).  Hopefully there's a reasonable chance of 2nd round later on?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

My power has just gone! But I seem to be the only one on the street