Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

-5 already here

36 minutes ago, wightwootton said:

I have an incredible -3 here on the North side of the Isle of Wight this evening.

Not sure why , but notice Southampton is showing this also!

Lets hope this is good sign for tomorrow evening!!

Yes, didn't expect it to be this cold tonight -2.5 c in northern part of Hampshire. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Not a great time for my boiler/ central heating to break down! - really appreciate having a couple of woodburners to keep the house warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Well, well what have we here...

Screenshot_20190128-230607.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Snow!!
7 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Yes, didn't expect it to be this cold tonight -2.5 c in northern part of Hampshire. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Not a great time for my boiler/ central heating to break down! - really appreciate having a couple of woodburners to keep the house warm.

Not a great time Kiwi ! It's way below than expected ..

Update: Last reading for me tonight here at Wootton Bridge , now -3.4 c 

Edited by wightwootton
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Stuck at 0.3°C here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Went back up to 0.2°C not long ago but dropping again now. -0.1°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

..just been outside for a smoke, and realise that the sky is filled with a thin veil of cloud. That's why the temp is struggling to go down.

• Like 1

Posted

Here's hoping we all get to see some of the mysterious white stuff over next couple of days. Not sure about tomorrow but Thursday is looking so good for many of us! 

Currently 0.5°C here at the mo not as low as I thought it would be.

Just looked at the satellite and shows the incoming low quite well I think. Also explains why temps have stalled or are creeping up.

Screenshot_20190128-233543.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

It’s risen to 0.7°C and is cloudy above 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Plenty of snow on Thursday going by the latest forecast on bbc news 24 that I just saw, probably be different again in the morning though lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

We can but hope the 0z Arpege is correct;

arpegeuk-42-68-0.thumb.png.78642658e06a5c611a30fb7ff81e2341.png

0z ICON similar, although it has a weaker system on it's western flank, so lighter snowfall here;

iconeu-42-68-0.thumb.png.bf80f897a0f4a9302b0c163271841dbf.png

0z GFS continues to push the front much further north, giving rain for our region so I won't bother posting that. 

So far, a potential snowfall still very much there, although a significant, disruptive snowfall looking like a low chance option currently.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Chucking it down with rain here. Never was going to be snow, temp is 2.4c and dewpoint is 0.6c, lovely cold rain. 

It seems a bit earlier than expected this rain? 

Edited by SteveB

Posted
13 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Chucking it down with rain here. Never was going to be snow, temp is 2.4c and dewpoint is 0.6c, lovely cold rain. 

It seems a bit earlier than expected this rain? 

I was just thinking that myself. Didn't expect any snow here anyway. I think they're saving all the snow for Thursday for us lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I was just thinking that myself. Didn't expect any snow here anyway. I think they're saving all the snow for Thursday for us lol.

Hope so Jay, I have a feeling though - that I might be on the wrong side of marginal.

• Like 1

Posted

Forget any snow of substance for our region today. Thursday is looking like our best chance for northern parts of our region but not without risk. We have UKMO model on board, though the text forecast isn’t great. Sounding like ECM like GFS has all the action further north. To conclude, we’re no clearer yet as to how Thursday is going to pan out. Expect Met to issue warnings later.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning All, a frosty start and overcast as the temperatures begins its skyward climb. Not much else to say really, apart from the fact there be light rain showers just to my north..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I"m taking a punt that the precipitation from Thursdays low will get no further north than Birmingham. This would give many in our region snowfall. Amounts still to be decided. 

It's also my 50th birthday on Thursday so that would be a great pressie! 

Edited by John88B
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
6 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Shaping up to be pretty wet here tomorrow and Thursday.

Same here too , the graphic from the forecast has us under the wet milder segment but all hope is not yet lost of a correction south by 50-100 miles . 

Posted
11 minutes ago, John88B said:

I"m taking a punt that the precipitation from Thursdays low will get no further north than Birmingham. This would give many in our region snowfall. Amounts still to be decided. 

It's also my 50th birthday on Thursday so that would be a great pressie! 

Hope you have a fabulous and extremely snowy birthday John!!

And hope February pans out like it did when you were born in 1969 ......

"February 1969

Cold weather very much returned in February with the winds frequently coming from a northerly or easterly direction. With a CET of 1.0C, it was the coldest month since the winter of 1962-63.

On the 7th, a deep low pressure system swung down the North Sea, bringing an Arctic front accompanied by hurricane-force winds to Scotland. In fact Kirkwall recorded a low level gust of 135mph! Further south there was a notable snow event across the Midlands and the south, with 30cm of snow and some 20 foot drifts recorded in Kent."

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
13 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Hope you have a fabulous and extremely snowy birthday John!!

And hope February pans out like it did when you were born in 1969 ......

"February 1969

Cold weather very much returned in February with the winds frequently coming from a northerly or easterly direction. With a CET of 1.0C, it was the coldest month since the winter of 1962-63.

On the 7th, a deep low pressure system swung down the North Sea, bringing an Arctic front accompanied by hurricane-force winds to Scotland. In fact Kirkwall recorded a low level gust of 135mph! Further south there was a notable snow event across the Midlands and the south, with 30cm of snow and some 20 foot drifts recorded in Kent."

Thanks so much Kiwi. Mum and dad always tell me of the car getting stuck in the snow on the way back from the hospital after I was born. We were living in Pilning, just north of Bristol at the time. 

Mum reckons that's where my interest in the weather and love of snow comes from.

Edited by John88B
  • Like 1