Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Its nip and tuck here at 150m asl near swindon.....both Tuesday and Thursday could be wet cold and miserable or could be snowy cold and wonderful!.....

This does remind me of dec 2017 where we managed to get several cm of snow yet just 10 miles to my west and south and lower down it was just rain and sleet.....fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

At 200 metres hopeful of a couple hours of snow as the front breezes through. Think it will be over before it begins. But to see some snow falling would be great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
40 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

So close to Thursday's snow line, 10-15 miles! The weather can be such a wind up sometimes lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
56 minutes ago, Smartie said:

So close to Thursday's snow line, 10-15 miles! The weather can be such a wind up sometimes lol

Hmm, who'd have thought places further east would have snow from a directly offshore wind, yet those further west would have rain with at least 100 miles of land for air to cross. Pinch of salt stuff this. I'd have thought, unless winds turn westerly, it should be more snow than rain here on Thursday but who knows.

Posted
30 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Hmm, who'd have thought places further east would have snow from a directly offshore wind, yet those further west would have rain with at least 100 miles of land for air to cross. Pinch of salt stuff this. I'd have thought, unless winds turn westerly, it should be more snow than rain here on Thursday but who knows.

Yes wind direction should make all the difference we need to make sure winds don’t turn westerly otherwise it will be rain 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
34 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

I think the real prize is on Thursday/Friday. Wanna see that snow line drop 50 miles or so.

Wish granted by the EC

UPGRADE CITY

Edited by MidnightSnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

So Thursday could be more interesting for our region than first thought. Further corrections south bring more of the region into the game. Still probably best not to get your hopes up too soon though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, matt111 said:

So Thursday could be more interesting for our region than first thought. Further corrections south bring more of the region into the game. Still probably best not to get your hopes up too soon though. 

Yeah, but it still doesn't change the fact the ground temps are warm, there is no cold air already in place, temps are forecast 4-5 degrees in the south. You may have conditions 'above' conducive to falling sleet/snow, but these events look just wet and miserable. There will be drizzle mixed in, maybe onto top the Mendips there is a better chance, but really this is just a non event for most.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Lloyds32 said:

Yeah, but it still doesn't change the fact the ground temps are warm, there is no cold air already in place, temps are forecast 4-5 degrees in the south. You may have conditions 'above' conducive to falling sleet/snow, but these events look just wet and miserable. There will be drizzle mixed in, maybe onto top the Mendips there is a better chance, but really this is just a non event for most.

As it stands yes however just like with tomorrow’s low things keep shifting south and anymore southerly corrections and we have a much better chance yes we probably won’t see much but if the potential is there then it’s worth following!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Are we right off any snow for tomorrow night South of Birmingham & West of Swindon?

Posted
4 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Are we right off any snow for tomorrow night South of Birmingham & West of Swindon?

Starting to look that way now 

83CB0F53-6830-4C35-9450-20D9F53652F7.thumb.png.e92e5a562b55429d58b7dedeef49b07b.png

looks even worse than earlier now sleet at best! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sunny for most of the day so far but a lot more cloud now than there was. 6.6°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Well it doesn't look like much of an event tomorrow for us southerners especially close to the coast....but the thing i like about the weather is unexpected things can happen.....i do think at some point this week there will be a nice little surprise somewhere re snow opportunities.....would be great if we all could get on on the act.

I guess the thing to hold on to is that there is still a bit of winter left eh...so still some opportunities for something more widespread.....keeping my fingers crossed everyone sees at least a bit of the white stuff....❄️⛄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

I’m just going to use the unscientific method tomorrow and just look out of my window!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Despite what some might say, the NetWx model did pretty good with regards to wintry precip from the WNW/NW flow last week.

nmmgif.thumb.gif.013ceee546e178ad43eb6d2c9e6e8890.gif

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Despite what some might say, the NetWx model did pretty good with regards to wintry precip from the WNW/NW flow last week.

nmmgif.thumb.gif.013ceee546e178ad43eb6d2c9e6e8890.gif

Decent.

Some nice beefy showers Wednesday morning, hope that's right.

• Like 1

Posted

Well, at least some red blobs crossing West Cornwall on that animation.   Making me feel a bit more hopeful, thanks Mapantz.

As long as I see at least one flake of snow this week I'll be happy!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The way I look at is, all of the models have some kind of variation on where wintry precip might be, which is a good thing, as it means anywhere is in with a shout of seeing a flake or two. If they all agreed on nothing for any of us in the region, it would be less fun.