Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It's so volatile that truth be told, I haven't really looked at much apart from precip-charts. I know they're a bit of a waste of time, but it has just been a quick way to get a bit of an idea.

I actually think that high ground areas in our region might get a little surprise. I have noted many times when you have reported snow and didn't think you would be in with a shout. It shows how elevation is a significant player.

viewimage.thumb.png.0b51bb011aeac97b5abef92cb088106c.png

That's the final frame of the NetWx hi res model - the 12Z. 

18Z will be available shortly.

And just like that..

824602863_viewimage(1).thumb.png.a9271f1faa0a3dbc432bf295db09b3a5.png 518380044_viewimage(2).thumb.png.dbf086f7712fcfafede83335cbe6808e.png

Shows a very narrow front and seems to move a bit quick.. hmm

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Signing off for the night. Mostly clear skies temp 1.6°C

Posted

EURO4 00z

19012918_2800.gif19012921_2800.gif19013000_2800.gif

00z WRF-NMM 2km (+36)

nmm_uk1-42-36-0.png?28-06

ICON

iconeu_uk1-42-39-0.png?28-04iconeu_uk1-42-40-0.png?28-04iconeu_uk1-42-42-0.png?28-04

ARPEGE

arpegeuk-42-38-0.png?28-05

Edited by Zephyr
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
10 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

EURO4 00z

19012918_2800.gif19012921_2800.gif19013000_2800.gif

Knife edge stuff for us in Yate Zephyr. Still time for change,  for better or worse!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, John88B said:

Knife edge stuff for us in Yate Zephyr. Still time for change,  for better or worse!

Indeed will be a nowcast for sure, my eyes will be on the radar tomorrow  I'm hoping more of the southwest comes in to play as the runs come out today

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
8 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Indeed will be a nowcast for sure, my eyes will be on the radar tomorrow  I'm hoping more of the southwest comes in to play as the runs come out today

Yep would only take small changes for a larger parts of the south west to get some of the white stuff. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Good morning. Starting off at 0.4°C this morning, down to 0.2°C overnight 

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted
7 minutes ago, mattyj said:

just seen this from the bbc heavy snow showers for 3 hours tuesday night bournemouth area please verify thanks here is link https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2655095

It gives me light snow from 8pm to 4am with 2 hours of heavy snow in between. Could only hope but the Beeb forecasts are useless from my experience 

Posted

Then again, Met gives me this with sleet beforehand

1F624733-DCF4-4312-8DD5-E22307D8823F.png

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

poor 'ol Norwich only gets a couple hours of sleet. I can't take much notice of that... they are showing heavy snow for Okehampton on Tuesday evening. I'm not trusting that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Still looks a bit wet rather than white for most of region Tuesday. East of region maybe in with chance but I'd be concerned with marginality even with elevation here. Very close call.  Could do with another upgrade later today on 12z but could go other way of course. 

Posted
34 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Still looks a bit wet rather than white for most of region Tuesday. East of region maybe in with chance but I'd be concerned with marginality even with elevation here. Very close call.  Could do with another upgrade later today on 12z but could go other way of course. 

It seems more likely to turn to snow after dark so I wouldn’t worry about a wet afternoon preceding it. Unless the precipitation is too light for snow to settle once the change happens.

• Like 1

Posted

Not holding out much hope as it stands at the moment. Pretty much no model shows any snow falling let alone lying for me now  As ever I’ll be hopeful for a surprise but doesn’t look promising at the mo...

• Thanks 1

Posted

For what it’s worth.F49D1A35-EBA0-4BB1-9C9E-6C84EBD9779B.thumb.jpeg.5bc4ba31db103e8a6b6a76b0290864a3.jpegE22504A7-832D-4AF1-8841-EA5EFEB1CBAA.thumb.jpeg.fca438a14a1de186c1d4b0618a7f9582.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

For what it’s worth.F49D1A35-EBA0-4BB1-9C9E-6C84EBD9779B.thumb.jpeg.5bc4ba31db103e8a6b6a76b0290864a3.jpegE22504A7-832D-4AF1-8841-EA5EFEB1CBAA.thumb.jpeg.fca438a14a1de186c1d4b0618a7f9582.jpeg

When have the BBC ever got it right! What model do they go on as it’s not the metoffice and they have me down for rain!

6 minutes ago, TomW said:

When have the BBC ever got it right! What model do they go on as it’s not the metoffice and they have me down for rain!

BBC use another supplier for the data.

As you say, Bristol will just be wet, Tuesdays event and Thursday. I have no idea what the fuss is about. Its just NOT cold. 4-5 degrees...its mental on this forum.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

I don't get how a village a couple miles from me is forecast 3 hours of heavy snow but I'm forecast only 1?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

The grid's gotta have a boundary somewhere.

I love Lloyds32's confidence. If I didn't know better I would suggest he is hedge betting on the result, and hoping to be wrong. BBC forecast this morning VERY interesting for both tomorrow and Thursday (speaking as Bath/Warminster location).

Posted
18 minutes ago, Lloyds32 said:

BBC use another supplier for the data.

As you say, Bristol will just be wet, Tuesdays event and Thursday. I have no idea what the fuss is about. Its just NOT cold. 4-5 degrees...its mental on this forum.

And dew points play a factor as well ideally we would want that to stay below 0 but it’s going to be around 1-2C so sleet at best going by that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
26 minutes ago, TomW said:

So true Tom, there apps are useless too as are Metoffice.  Metoffice app shows no rain or snow for Frome only dry. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, offerman said:

So true Tom, there apps are useless too as are Metoffice.  Metoffice app shows no rain or snow for Frome only dry. 

2E637493-7BD7-4185-B5B8-691272D0D1CA.thumb.png.a38e91d415f24fa40f2a9fd80841208d.png

Sleet at best and it’s to mild going by that!

Edited by TomW