Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
3 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

Same but I was just wondering if it's a win/win scenario. If it all sinks too far south into France, wouldn't that keep us in colder air for fronts pushing in Thursday/Friday. 

Obviously we'd prefer the 3rd option all day long!

Not really as it's not as simple as that.  It's a much deeper and rounder low that's being shown to hit our shores at the end of next week.

Posted

12z GFS leans more towards scenario 1 although not fully.

Main PPN stays across the channel but the model forecast a fair few showery bursts of PPN behind the low, bringing wintry showers across the region later on Tuesday.

No meaningful snow in the midweek period though.

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Wind and rain  picking up again as the front approaches. 8.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Wind really picked up in the last few minutes and it’s just started raining. 9.2°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Heavy rain here now and quite windy. Still 8.2°C

Posted
12 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Heavy rain here now and quite windy. Still 8.2°C

Might get a bit squally for us, if we clip the edge of what's coming up on the radar.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It's now the turn of the GFS-P to be the favourite model despite it being as bad as the standard GFS in the verification stats. lol

Posted
57 minutes ago, jtay said:

Might get a bit squally for us, if we clip the edge of what's coming up on the radar.

I did notice things turned a bit more blustery but hadn't checked the radar! All quiet now.. except the wind. 8.1°C

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

It's now the turn of the GFS-P to be the favourite model despite it being as bad as the standard GFS in the verification stats. lol

There is something about the GFSp I don't like.  It's PPN signal seems to be overly exaggerated to me.  It's regularly forecasting large amounts of rain/snow for various parts of the country that really are quite unlikely to verify.

Personally I don't use it.  I will need some factual evidence and previous experience before I use it to any degree.

Posted
1 minute ago, AWD said:

There is something about the GFSp I don't like.  It's PPN signal seems to be overly exaggerated to me.  It's regularly forecasting large amounts of rain/snow for various parts of the country that really are quite unlikely to verify.

Personally I don't use it.  I will need some factual evidence and previous experience before I use it to any degree.

In a word "Agreed"

Posted

ECM rolling... there'll either be tears or cheers in the model thread so I'll check back in half an hour. Ta.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Gusting to 37mph now. 

Been outside all afternoon shifting the DAVIS station to a new position, whilst it rained, blew and tried it's best to dissuade me. Figure a 24ft pole just lurches around too much in the strong wind so had to back off to 18ft. Off course living in a built up area is always a compromise in getting the best results. Not seen 37mph but  have seen gusts @ 25mph so relatively Ok (ish). Time to move house methinks for better results..Maybe I should move to KARLOS country..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

There was quite a downpour here during the final passage of that cold front. 35.6mm/hr. 6mm has fallen today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

ECM is.... interesting 

D0AAEFAD-4243-44C2-B1A4-835FFD46A3F0.thumb.gif.d2b12892f0e649384420448ad2d70ef5.gif

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

Been outside all afternoon shifting the DAVIS station to a new position, whilst it rained, blew and tried it's best to dissuade me. Figure a 24ft pole just lurches around too much in the strong wind so had to back off to 18ft. Off course living in a built up area is always a compromise in getting the best results. Not seen 37mph but  have seen gusts @ 25mph so relatively Ok (ish). Time to move house methinks for better results..

Is there no one who could lash it to the chimney? That's what I went for. I used a 12ft pole, 5 foot is above the chimney and 7 foot below. I get very little wobble in it. The battery is still going after 2 years as well.

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

ECM is.... interesting 

D0AAEFAD-4243-44C2-B1A4-835FFD46A3F0.thumb.gif.d2b12892f0e649384420448ad2d70ef5.gif

Better track.  Heads more east, along the channel, rather than south east into France.  Keeps us on the cold side and in with a shout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

Is there no one who could lash it to the chimney? That's what I went for. I used a 12ft pole, 5 foot is above the chimney and 7 foot below. I get very little wobble in it. The battery is still going after 2 years as well.

Well, I was going to ask my son to do it for me, as my wife wont let me near a ladder after my last fall. Suggested it today and it was like "NAH", so for now I might just have to compromise. Do have a nice roof / wall where it could sit, but I'd have to get a remote transmitter for the anemometer as it will be too far from the base unit without it. Given it's a west facing wall I cant mount the whole davis unit there as there will be too much radiation heating. So for now until I can convince my wife to let my son up on the roof  I'll stick with 18ft pole.

Posted
1 minute ago, AWD said:

Better track.  Heads more east, along the channel, rather than south east into France.  Keeps us on the cold side and in with a shout.

A shout or a groan...what do you reckon?

Posted
Just now, Dorsetbred said:

A shout or a groan...what do you reckon?

Depends on your postcode.  

Posted
2 minutes ago, AWD said:

Depends on your postcode.  

I'll take that as a shout for you and a groan for us down here on the coast.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Well, I was going to ask my son to do it for me, as my wife wont let me near a ladder after my last fall. Suggested it today and it was like "NAH", so for now I might just have to compromise. Do have a nice roof / wall where it could sit, but I'd have to get a remote transmitter for the anemometer as it will be too far from the base unit without it. Given it's a west facing wall I cant mount the whole davis unit there as there will be too much radiation heating. So for now until I can convince my wife to let my son up on the roof  I'll stick with 18ft pole.

https://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/davis-6332-vantage-pro2-anemometer-transmitter

That's a very good price!

I got mine for £170 through a German Davis dealer.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

I'll take that as a shout for you and a groan for us down here on the coast.

Well, I didn't want to say it...............