Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
3 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Chilterns?

I lived on them before as a child. Okay but only around 150 - 200m and abit too far southeast really. Dont want to move back to south east.

I lived in high wycombe.

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've decided to upgrade WXSIM to the pro version, as I am starting to understand it better. Not only that, I have just spent a couple of hours putting almost 3 years worth of temp/wind/humidity/dew point/rain data in to a CSV file. He is (author of software) going to go through it all and add necessary biases to the files. It should improve the forecasts a lot, because of the microclimate conditions that can occur here. Because I live close to the coast, the majority of forecasts tend to underestimate low temperatures during cold weather, and underestimate high temps during hot weather. With my data added to the files, it'll help overcome those biases.

Costs a few rupees to do it, but it's worth it!

Have I missed anything?

5mm of rain here with a temp of 5.8°C.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

On and off rain here, currently 5.3°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
23 minutes ago, Nights King said:

She takes the p... but I cant live up there alone just for weather it is daft. She wont move because of kids and schools and friends etc. She did agree that when they grow up in 5 years or so we can look at moving back to area or another elevated site. It wouldnt be easy though, not many places at all above 200m in south of england.  I was looking at local area around wiltshire and there is nothing of decent elevation except cotwolds which are expensive and still quite a distance.  Probably one of only people that checks out elevation of every house looked at :whistling:

No you're not. I'm planning my escape from here (got to build a house this year, then sell it). Hubby has been well briefed and frequently warned, the only place I'll consider moving to around here is Priddy/a mile circumference, that gives an altitude anywhere between 260-300 meters    Streetmap.co.uk is fantastic for checking elevation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Its bad news in mod thread... the cold spell is evaporating before it even started 

What a great birthday present to wake up to. 

Edited by Nights King

Posted
7 hours ago, Nights King said:

Probably one of only people that checks out elevation of every house looked at :whistling:

Not necessarily the case, I for example wouldn’t look to buy a house in Sandbanks with global warming and rising sea levels, give it a few years and the house will be surrounded by water... oh and the fact I don’t have the money to afford to live there:whistling:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
29 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Its bad news in mod thread... the cold spell is evaporating before it even started 

Not looking too clever is it. Hard to see it turning round but could well just do that. At the moment anything beyond 3 days cannot be trusted even though right now it looks like the writing is on the wall for another bust.

Happy Birthday Hope you have a great day despite the weather.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Happy Birthday, Nights King.

11.9mm rain in the gauge this morning and looks like some more to come through the morning id the radar is right.

Posted

Dear Mother Nature,

It would be appreciated if you would desist from providing wet Saturday mornings. 

This is two out of three already in 2019 when every other morning has been dry!

This also follows on from too many wet weekends in 2018 and comes amidst an otherwise dry month!

Yours hopefully,

Andy and family!

Edited by Andy Bown
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Good morning, a damp dreary start with light rain. Temp 6.0°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Morning 6.5°C dank and raining....just putrid.?️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
10 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I've decided to upgrade WXSIM to the pro version, as I am starting to understand it better. Not only that, I have just spent a couple of hours putting almost 3 years worth of temp/wind/humidity/dew point/rain data in to a CSV file. He is (author of software) going to go through it all and add necessary biases to the files. It should improve the forecasts a lot, because of the microclimate conditions that can occur here. Because I live close to the coast, the majority of forecasts tend to underestimate low temperatures during cold weather, and underestimate high temps during hot weather. With my data added to the files, it'll help overcome those biases.

Costs a few rupees to do it, but it's worth it!

Have I missed anything?

5mm of rain here with a temp of 5.8°C.

What is WXSIM @Mapantz ?

TIA

Posted
3 hours ago, Nights King said:

image.thumb.png.8c5be1564ea07c29d27cada2e3100ff4.png

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Karlos, you mean you've lived without WXSIM all this time, really. I'm shocked.....

:pardon:

still none the wiser 

Absolutely foul day. 11mm of transparent ppn, 5.9C :bad:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

:pardon:

still none the wiser

WXSIM (Weather Simulator) is a powerful, truly one-of-a-kind tool for forecasting, or just plain studying weather. Its primary purpose is providing accurate, detailed forecasts tailored for your specific location, using a combination of imported real-time and model data (from the internet, plus optionally from your home weather station) and its own internal modeling capabilities. It can even improve its forecasts by learning from past results!

@Mapantz has spent time entering his data and getting the scripts to run based on his data, so.. if you look on his site he now includes WXSIM forecasts, based on his previously obtained data, and current data it "forecasts" what might happen in his locality going out over the next x days..

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

WXSIM (Weather Simulator) is a powerful, truly one-of-a-kind tool for forecasting, or just plain studying weather. Its primary purpose is providing accurate, detailed forecasts tailored for your specific location, using a combination of imported real-time and model data (from the internet, plus optionally from your home weather station) and its own internal modeling capabilities. It can even improve its forecasts by learning from past results!

@Mapantz has spent time entering his data and getting the scripts to run based on his data, so.. if you look on his site he now includes WXSIM forecasts, based on his previously obtained data, and current data it "forecasts" what might happen in your locality going out over the next x days..

Bloody awesome, love it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Definitely avoid the mad thread today, it’s a car crash, train wreck, nuclear disaster all rolled into one, it’s not pretty 

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, fromey said:

Definitely avoid the mad thread today, it’s a car crash, train wreck, nuclear disaster all rolled into one, it’s not pretty 

Thanks for the advice, it's been an absolute roller coaster all week but it sounds like it''s a valium experience right now..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
42 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Thanks for the advice, it's been an absolute roller coaster all week but it sounds like it''s a valium experience right now..

Definitely worth investing in Prozac sales right now!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A fairly wet morning here with 4.2mm falling but drier at the moment. 6.5°C