Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Not as good as I thought it was going to be this morning. Blue skies here in Poole. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sunny with blue skies after a low of 2.8°C last night. Currently 4.7°C but feels cold in the wind

Posted

This is much more like it.

Should get a bit of light with the clear sky, for a bit of a wander after work at 5pm.

Posted

Many folk on here and elsewhere like their bird watching,feeding ect and most im sure  will have fed the feathered friends all year.Just something I saw in a magazine the other day might be worthy of note,most fat balls now come in boxes or wrapped in cellophane,the article I read said that many birds were dying a pretty nasty demise due to getting their claws entangled in the green netting they are sometimes sold in,the photos were not pleasant,just thought it worth a mention,as Winter might put in an appearance one of these weeks.

• Like 1

Posted

Not a bad little met office update for us southerners, seems we are in the race also.

Outlook for the UK over the next 6-30 days

UK Outlook for Tuesday 22 Jan 2019 to Thursday 31 Jan 2019:

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow for many areas on Tuesday with a chance of snow to low levels but the details of this are currently uncertain. Strong winds are also possible in the southwest. Showery conditions will follow although some brighter weather is also possible later in the week. Thereafter, remaining cold and possibly turning very cold, accentuated by brisk winds which will last through until the end of January. Frontal zones may arrive from the northwest at times bringing spells of rain, sleet and snow. However, some drier and brighter interludes are still likely and these will bring overnight frosts, which will be widespread and locally severe, especially in any longer clear spells.

UK Outlook for Friday 1 Feb 2019 to Friday 15 Feb 2019:

Cold and sometimes very cold weather will continue as we head through the first half of February. It is likely to remain changeable too, especially at first, bringing strong winds and spells of rain which will turn to snow at times. Snow especially over higher ground but there is a greater risk to lower levels too with the cold air in place. Some drier and brighter periods are possible as well, perhaps becoming focused across the northwest with time. Occasional milder and wetter interludes may intersperse the generally cold conditions, these most likely in the south but also posing a more significant risk of snow.

• Like 3

Posted
40 minutes ago, jy said:

Many folk on here and elsewhere like their bird watching,feeding ect and most im sure  will have fed the feathered friends all year.Just something I saw in a magazine the other day might be worthy of note,most fat balls now come in boxes or wrapped in cellophane,the article I read said that many birds were dying a pretty nasty demise due to getting their claws entangled in the green netting they are sometimes sold in,the photos were not pleasant,just thought it worth a mention,as Winter might put in an appearance one of these weeks.

Wise words @jy

Speaking of birds... If you travel up the A338, have you seen the flock of Lapwings just North of Downton. They're often on the wing, in a murmuration. Sometimes the starlings join in too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
42 minutes ago, Bazray said:

Chance of snow with strong winds on Tuesday you say? Yes please.

06_126_preciptype.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Strange how quickly this cold weather crept up on us, probably something to do with no cross model agreement about it until last night! Looks like possible heavy snow next Tuesday and maybe a little bit tomorrow evening...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Got down to 3.1°C after dawn. Only got up to 4.8°C this afternoon with sunny skies all day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
5 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

Strange how quickly this cold weather crept up on us, probably something to do with no cross model agreement about it until last night! Looks like possible heavy snow next Tuesday and maybe a little bit tomorrow evening...

Yes mate, it's lovely to see upgrades in the short term for a change. :oldsmile: Fingers crossed much of the region is on the right side of marginal on Tuesday. Looks like there could be some decent PPN about. 

I just hope we see some consistency now... I've had enough of the rollercoaster lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Nice sunny day from start to finish today. Reached 6.2°C not long ago but already down to 4.9°C.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Down to 4.2°C now, hopefully it stays clear for the most part tonight. No dodgy cloud please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Seems legit... 

image.png

Posted
30 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Seems legit... 

image.png

5C double snow symbols, really? Does that mean 2 flakes of sn*w. Not being facetious but that sounds really hopeful. Of course living oop north of the region you have a better chance, but I've seen temperatures much lower than that and it's been rain. Of course temperature inversions / salt air / too many grockles can upset the balance down here...  

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MidnightSnow said:

Yes mate, it's lovely to see upgrades in the short term for a change. :oldsmile: Fingers crossed much of the region is on the right side of marginal on Tuesday. Looks like there could be some decent PPN about. 

I just hope we see some consistency now... I've had enough of the rollercoaster lol.

Any you've been in the DOM no MOD , no DOOM thread tonight I presume, I'm not sure anybody can give you any odds against anything happening on Tuesday apart from the fact it comes after Monday and leads into Wednesday. Seems very unstable right now and could go whichever way..

Posted

'downgrades' 'too far east' 

I'll check again once the 18z rolls out.. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

Sooo is Tuesday a possibility for us IoW’ers to get some snow??? Ta 

If you are sat on top of the Rowridge transmitter mast then anything is possible..at 941ft above sea level the precip might well be of a different kind..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
10 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

5C double snow symbols, really? Does that mean 2 flakes of sn*w. Not being facetious but that sounds really hopeful. Of course living oop north of the region you have a better chance, but I've seen temperatures much lower than that and it's been rain. Of course temperature inversions / salt air / too many grockles can upset the balance down here...  

image.png.3b7693c026ebbe19a59efb12f3515fc9.png

This pleased me, and it should please you too!  Imagine if we had snow next Tuesday...