Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
sorepaw1

Winter tyres who has them fitted.

Recommended Posts

Just wondering who has winter tyres fitted.

And who doesn't. 

You can find all you need to know on YouTube. 

Just search winter tyres.

And why it's dangerous to have just 2 fitted and not 4.

I have a Subaru outback AWD with winter tyres on. 

And it will go anywhere 

Up steep snowy slopes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't have them and i live on the Canadian Prairies lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a set for my Golf and the other halfs VXR but not put them on yet.

Nothing in the models to suggest we need to currently, had to borrow my Dads Audi which has winters on to go up Blakey Ridge on North York Moors back at the end of October.

Didn't expect snow so early!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Got a set for my Golf and the other halfs VXR but not put them on yet.

Nothing in the models to suggest we need to currently, had to borrow my Dads Audi which has winters on to go up Blakey Ridge on North York Moors back at the end of October.

Didn't expect snow so early!

I'd be booking them in for fitting looking at the 12z .😉😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a full set on wifes/sons car-big believer in them for snow, slush, ice and wet roads. Completely different handling compared with normal tyres. Only issues are buying a set of rims with them so that you can change yourself and finding storage in summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never bothered with them as use my Landy  If it snows which is hardly ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never understood the point for an average of a few days a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Never understood the point for an average of a few days a year. 

It's worth a visit to YouTube Nick 

They are for cold wet roads as Well as snowy icy roads.

The braking distance between all season tyres and winter tyres really surprised me.

It's the difference between having a accident and not.

Where I live most winter's I need them

This February was a typical example. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is they're not just for snow, standard tyres that you get billed as summer tyres are at home on the roads in southern Europe which might hit high 40s even into the 50s C. When they get below 7 C, they're 10% less efficient, getting progressively worse as the temperature drops. 

I would argue that all weather tyres are the way to go, across the piece. The UK roads will spend at least as much time below 7C as they do above 20 or 25C. 

If every vehicle used all weather tyres then fewer vehicles would get stuck when it does snow, trucks included! 

That said my overall preference would be to have full winter and standard tyres changed as per the seasons. Unfortunately my new employer doesn't do them yet so I'll maybe get some autosocks as a get me out of trouble measure. 

Edited by JeffC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sorepaw1 said:

It's worth a visit to YouTube Nick 

They are for cold wet roads as Well as snowy icy roads.

The braking distance between all season tyres and winter tyres really surprised me.

It's the difference between having a accident and not.

Where I live most winter's I need them

This February was a typical example. 

 

depends where you live ..my location gets way colder and has much more snow than anywhere in the UK..i have never needed winter tyres because most of my time is spent on city roads and i would wager living in the UK the need for 90% of the population is pretty rare..plus winter tyres are not designed for use above 7c. Thas the average January temp of many [laces back home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the family use them here (Peak District). They are the difference between getting up hills and not. We have them on a second set of rims, either aftermarket alloys or normal steelies with no wheel trims. More and more people are moving over to them.

Ironically as more cars keep moving they get stuck behind those without winters who can't move. It happens a lot.

In the olden days (70s) they didn't seem to be necessary and I think that's because tyres were much narrower. A bag of sand or two in the boot (rear drive) helped.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used winter tyres for the past 7 years, I have already put them on my 4x4 they make such a difference for me living ruraly they can be a life saver to get to a shop or picking stranded family/friends up. I would thoughally recommend them and now cost as much as a normal tyre thanks to China!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I swear by them since spending time in the Alps and seeing the massive difference they make. It's not just about snow, ice etc, it's general driving and stopping distances in the cold where they can really help. Am getting my lot for this year fitted later next week. 

It's not that they're not meant to be used above 7c btw, they're fine at autumn/winter type temperatures higher than that (I wouldn't recommend using them in summer like temps), it's just at 7c where they start to outperform normal tyres due to their compound which doesn't go harder at lower temperatures. 

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/winter-tyre-above-7c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Paul said:

Yeah, I swear by them since spending time in the Alps and seeing the massive difference they make. It's not just about snow, ice etc, it's general driving and stopping distances in the cold where they can really help. Am getting my lot for this year fitted later next week. 

It's not that they're not meant to be used above 7c btw, they're fine at autumn/winter type temperatures higher than that (I wouldn't recommend using them in summer like temps), it's just at 7c where they start to outperform normal tyres due to their compound which doesn't go harder at lower temperatures. 

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/winter-tyre-above-7c

what they dont tell you at VW is that winter tyres shed tread rapdily once above 7c esp if you use them in higher temps. Anyways my all seasons did me just fine today after over a foot of snow fell at the weekend..only the main roads had been ploughed ..got out of my subdivision and too work no probs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the UK climate anyway, it basically boils down to this:

*If you live in an elevated rural area that often gets snow, then use winter tyres in proper winter, and summer in summer. If you can afford it and/or have the space, then obviously this option is the best wherever you live!

*If you live anywhere else, and you want to compromise, allseasons are the way to go. You do however sacrifice a bit of summer, and a bit of winter performance....obviously!

Annoyingly, there isnt a straight cut answer. Everyone is different depending on location, what type of car they have, and how or where they use it. Last winter, I had summer tyres on my Audi S4 (proper Quattro, not the fake Quattro) and it made mince meat of certain so called 4x4's! So have gone the cheap option this year with allseasons, so hoping it'll be even better.

However, regardless of what car you drive, the only thing that'll make you stop quicker, are the tyres!!!!.........(or a wall)

Edited by Rambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

what they dont tell you at VW is that winter tyres shed tread rapdily once above 7c esp if you use them in higher temps. Anyways my all seasons did me just fine today after over a foot of snow fell at the weekend..only the main roads had been ploughed ..got out of my subdivision and too work no probs

Can't say I've seen that with the winter tyres I've had. I drove about in spring in the Alps when it was closing in on 20c or so at times and didn't have any excessive wear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got chunky BF Goodrich on my Defender, not specifically winter tyres but the combination of those and my heap means I can get pretty much everywhere, regardless of the weather. Only thing that stops it is really deep drifts and even those you can eventually plough your way through, if you really want to. Put the diff lock on, low res on the gear box and it just keeps going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'll stick with my current set up considering most of my driving is either my 15 minute commute to work or a drive to the shops! Wouldn't have anywhere to store tyres either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly OT but the best car I've ever had in the snow was my old Fiat Panda. Was quite happy chugging up hills and round country roads in the snow where loads of 4x4 were struggling.

But yes, I should get winter tyres, yet every year I never get round to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A neighbour used to have a DAF Variomatic which was a sort of automatic with no gears it just had a drive belt and pulleys which were tapered internally, and the effective size was changed hydraulically.
This gave very smooth changes in power delivery and made it remarkably good in snow.
One of the worst things about modern cars (in snow) is a lighter weight vehicle combined with wide tyres.
Tyres used to be much narrower that made them better at cutting through soft snow to something more grippy below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its not difficult to drive in snow if you get enough practice..unfortunately the UK doesnt get snow for long periods so people are clueless how to drive in those conditions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My instructor deliberately took me out in snow after I passed to teach me properly. I've certainly been glad of it since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lauren said:

My instructor deliberately took me out in snow after I passed to teach me properly. I've certainly been glad of it since.

Hopefully in the car 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Hopefully in the car 😮

It was indeed 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thankfully my alloy wheels got nicked so i don't need to worry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×