Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Sign in to follow this  
Snipper

Aren’t Windows updates a pain?

Take an age to download, tend to hang without completing and sometimes trash what you have set up. 

At least Apple let you decide when their updates occur. 

It depends what set up you have.
I don't have a fibre connection, just standard broadband, but the downloads aren't slow - usually getting 2Mb/s. I've never had any 'hanging' or updates trashing my PC either. Not to say it doesn't happen, just that I have never experienced that.

As for Apple letting you decide when the updates occur, you can do that on windows 10 and more. Defer certain types of updates, pause updates for up to 35 days. And, if you're computer literate, you can turn them off altogether using the windows services manager.

On 19/11/2018 at 12:38, Mapantz said:

It depends what set up you have.
I don't have a fibre connection, just standard broadband, but the downloads aren't slow - usually getting 2Mb/s. I've never had any 'hanging' or updates trashing my PC either. Not to say it doesn't happen, just that I have never experienced that.

As for Apple letting you decide when the updates occur, you can do that on windows 10 and more. Defer certain types of updates, pause updates for up to 35 days. And, if you're computer literate, you can turn them off altogether using the windows services manager.

Thanks. Have the complication of it is not only me using computer to say yes or no. 

Last one hung at 100%. Left it for a few hours then faffed around getting it sorted. Now working better than before update.

lt always seems to trash my HP settings so printer does not work. HP have good app for repairing the connections etc. 

If it's any consolation, Snipper, I have a HP printer, and i'm always having problems, but also had the same problems using it on Windows 8 and 8.1. 
It seems to only let me print one thing at a time, then I spend 10 minutes switching it off and on, then adding it to devices again before I can print another item. It seems a common occurrence with HP printers after having a look on their forums.

Edited by Mapantz

2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

If it's any consolation, Snipper, I have a HP printer, and i'm always having problems, but also had the same problems using it on Windows 8 and 8.1. 
It seems to only let me print one thing at a time, then I spend 10 minutes switching it off and on, then adding it to devices again before I can print another item. It seems a common occurrence with HP printers after having a look on their forums.

Get HP’s Printer and Scan Doctor. Pain you need to use it but so far solved all my problems. 

I haven't had many problems with Windows 10 updates on my desktop but they have often been a pain on my laptop, probably partly because it is relatively rarely used and was upgraded from Windows 7.  Windows will force-feed the laptop updates at an inconvenient time and if you close the lid overnight or when travelling on a train or a plane (the latter two being bad times to update due to internet connection issues, the first being bad due to disrupting sleep) it will automatically switch back on after a short while to stop you from circumventing the automatic update.  Not good if it then gets very hot.

Also, on the laptop, updates tend to reset a lot of my preferences back to the Microsoft defaults (this has happened somewhat less often on my desktop computer) and this isn't just the bi-annual feature updates - it happens quite often after minor system updates also.  Examples include resetting my picture viewer back to Photos, my music player back to Groove Music, re-enabling Automatic Folder Type Discovery and then resetting my preferred Details folder views back to the defaults.  Although updates generally play nicely with the settings on my desktop, here was one time on my desktop where an update to Office 2016 reset the Developer tab in Excel back to the default of disabled, so for a while I was left wondering where it had disappeared to.

If you have Windows 10 Pro you have a fair amount of customisability with updates, but if you have Windows 10 Home you generally have no choice but to update as and when Microsoft deems suitable, with the exception of the bi-annual feature updates which can be deferred.  I am not against forced security patches, but I am against forced system and feature patches.  It's often said that getting the latest feature updates "gives the best user experience", but a lot of the time new features are thrust on users when they are still buggy and incomplete and degrade the user experience, and they only become improvements after a while of ironing out bugs in subsequent mini-updates.

Most cases of updates tinkering with default settings are probably unintentional, but there are exceptions, such as when I disabled OneDrive and one of the feature updates re-enabled it, reset all of my OneDrive settings back to their defaults and then introduced an ad for OneDrive that popped up every time I opened Windows Explorer.  Generally the cynic in me thinks that Microsoft will feel they don't have to put as much effort into leaving people's settings alone now that updates are compulsory.  In the past they had more pressure on them to make sure that updates were right or else people would disable them altogether and leave their systems insecure.  And when it does go wrong, well, it serves as a neat little nudge towards the Microsoft defaults which could help increase user compliance with the defaults as the path of least resistance, and the more people comply with the defaults, optimising defaults for the vendor's revenue streams becomes a more effective policy.  Microsoft still hasn't managed to get most Windows 10 users to use Edge, though.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers