Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted

You would have to say the uppers are a tad under whelming when you consider we have a full blown Easterly showing. The one we got a month ago was actually colder. It isn't cold enough to deliver anything other than very high ground sleet/snow.

Of course the bigger long term picture is great and seeing GP post more often is a very welcome bonus for all of us!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

No disrespect to you @More Snow as i would love to live in the location where you are now,very beautiful is bonny wee Scotland

the uppers(850's temps) are a crucial numerical as to getting cold and snow to the uk as is the dewpoints/dam/wetbulb etc fall into place but a continental feed would be a lower margine for error off a dryer/colder continent if the near continent has cooled of which it will be after the weekend

there is nothing wrong with posting archived charts that are similar to what is being forecasted to try and understand the patterns of past winter weather events and get a match of what may happen in the near future

best x

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

No disrespect to you @More Snow as i would love to live in the location where you are now,very beautiful is bonny wee Scotland

the uppers(850's temps) are a crucial numerical as to getting cold and snow to the uk as is the dewpoints/dam/wetbulb etc fall into place but a continental feed would be a lower margine for error off a dryer/colder continent if the near continent has cooled of which it will be after the weekend

there is nothing wrong with posting archived charts that are similar to what is being forecasted to try and understand the patterns of past winter weather events and get a match of what may happen in the near future

best x

Wasnt aimed at you @Allseasons-si as i understand the importance of uppers etc, just wondering why my post was singled out amongst many others that were just as off topic as mine. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

You would have to say the uppers are a tad under whelming when you consider we have a full blown Easterly showing. The one we got a month ago was actually colder. It isn't cold enough to deliver anything other than very high ground sleet/snow.

Of course the bigger long term picture is great and seeing GP post more often is a very welcome bonus for all of us!

You’re mistaken at the ‘peak’ 850hPa temps were between -4 to -6c there was no long easterly fetch, and continent was not that cold. Yet parts of elevated SE England still had a little snow next week much better..

4D3BA320-EFCD-4608-A726-F6EF4C70F8D5.thumb.png.3830747cddc03aea4836cd68868e8246.png198C2349-0E28-4717-A0CF-9A1DB5028AAD.thumb.png.716914259d264f2614ce656e25fc7399.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, shaky said:

Any news on icon 18z!!any better at 120 hours

Not to 120 but 93 is of no difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyways pub run is up and will it keep us cold hunters happy? im sure there is going to be some ups and downs as we head toward this cold spell/period as its not the normal winter way for the UK so of course models are going to struggle so the odd poor run must be expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
38 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Overall, extended modelling seems a little progressive on the shift west of the main high-latitude blocking focus; west-based negative NAO setup arriving a bit soon with too little of an east-based negative NAO interlude beforehand.

As and when we do see the west-based negative NAO it'll be hard to hang onto cold conditions but not out of the question should we see enough of a displacement of the stratospheric vortex toward Siberia; that could feasibly allow blocking to reach further east than usual for a situation where the blocking is focused over the NE of N. America.

Not worth getting too involved with at this time of course; let's hope we can first get a good bout of cold air in during the middle of the month.

It would be intriguing to follow the tendency of this blocking anomaly which has a reasonable chance to advect somewhere in the Arctic.

Interestingly some of the similar strat warmings with vortex displacement events towards Scandinavia occured in around early 2004 and 2006. 

Subsequent height anomalies for JAN-FEB period had an east based -NAO.

It wouldn´t make much sence to me to achieve west based -NAO after such a strong Scandi high anomaly before we get a shot at east based -NAO.

But with sometimes stochastic nature of atmosphere stranger things happened

Z_temp_10hpa_336.png

ypt6UwA9JD.png

h_l63u6QK2.png

Edited by jules216
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Is anyone finding the GFS 18z is coming out very slow ? I’m only out to T99 . All looks good tho . C0FC95E2-8A59-4120-AEB6-5FC1DCB8D095.thumb.png.4610a9681cdacde7341fbc937bfaa44c.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

We elongate...and stretch..

As we gain..

And as the ec 12z..

The shunt is notable..

Real synops of a ready to go into the assylum...trop/strat pv..all layers corrupted!!

Its distrupt on every level...*no -pun intended*

(Minor- factions@north aff/souther ib!!

gfsnh-0-126.png

gfsnh-10-162.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

So where are we just before the pub run?  I think slightly increased confidence that the Scandi high will be the next significant evolution. My interest at the moment is firmly focused on the strat, a SSW on or around 20 Dec could have such a significant impact on the rest of winter, so early...I will be watching the strat charts.

Anyway the pub run. Rock solid at T162 on building the block...

image.thumb.jpg.69a7d1376d0d7debd5c07a9d5dc9bf1b.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, evans1892 said:

Much shallower low this time around

Perhaps a chart or two to illustrate this.. are you referring to the LP to the Southwest of the UK at T+00? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

gfs-3-168.pngiso's

And forms...

i'll say no more..

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Perhaps a chart or two to illustrate this.. are you referring to the LP to the Southwest of the UK at T+00? 

He means the monster low that was on the 12z to our west 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Much better verticle angle to the WAA into Greenland at 168 than the 174 12z.

gfseu-0-168.thumb.png.0da5716f00921ab195c7f575a7fa8fdc.pnggfseu-0-174.thumb.png.bd1ef88f7e5130a00cd866e3d8e28bb0.png

of which produces a FV3 style evolution at 192

gfsnh-0-192.thumb.png.e52fa971214bdc2af0ecbd2c77ded7a0.png

lovely.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

He means the monster low that was on the 12z to our west 

I knew that blue

I was just making it known that a lurker viewing that might not have any idea what low it might be.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

So where are we just before the pub run?  I think slightly increased confidence that the Scandi high will be the next significant evolution. My interest at the moment is firmly focused on the strat, a SSW on or around 20 Dec could have such a significant impact on the rest of winter, so early...I will be watching the strat charts.

Anyway the pub run. Rock solid at T162 on building the block...

I think an SSW would be a bit later than that if it does happen but its certainly possible before months end.

Posted

The 18z going for the FV3 big style,no regrets from me

good night.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1