Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
11 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I can think of a few who kept going on about a snowy christmas and severe cold..

Fair enough. Some do get a bit overexcited. The most experienced and knowledgeable posters have always stated late December/early January onwards though. There’s never been much from background signals to support any significant cold from the brief chilly spells we’ve seen so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Fair enough. Some do get a bit overexcited. The most experienced and knowledgeable posters have always stated late December/early January onwards though. There’s never been much from background signals to support any significant cold from the brief chilly spells we’ve seen so far.

If there's one positive to take from the output over the next week its that NE Canada and Greenland are also looking like having temperatures much above average so we may see less of these deep lows passing to the south of Newfoundland. I'd expect the west-east movement of low pressure systems to ease off in the mid to long term as a result.

Problem is we could just get a low pressure system stuck to our west with high pressure to the SE, like in early November. I'd also like to see a drop in SLP over Central Europe. El Nino winters very often tend to be backloaded so I'm looking out for January for pattern changes. They still can't be ruled out for December but the pattern this month is very much what I'd expect for an El Nino year.

Could be worse though, it could be December 2015....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
19 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Can you change the very likely to very possible ??  A split vortex post the displacement remains unclear 

and 80% is way too high for January at this range Mike ...... especially ‘severe cold’. 

Fiona will be even more confused! 

Hi bluearmy. Granted with the first point, but conditional on the split happening in the way that the models are showing, it would bring severe cold in January.  It would be a yes or no question, if it went favourably it would definitely not be a damp squid cold snap, surely.  The uncertainty is all with whether it happens at all, not how severe it would be.

Just to add, I'm not ramping, I genuinely think the chances of a really cold January are now as high as 80%, will apologise on here later if the 20% solution verifies!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
6 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

My 80% figure is from my understanding, such that it is, and what the models are saying, including the long range ones that I have seen.  But you could draw exactly the same conclusion from the Met Office 16-30 day forecast - they would not be so bullish if they weren't pretty damn certain.

Fully agree, feels like it did 8 years ago!..fingers and toes crossed the models start to reflect that wintry extended that mogreps / ec32 / GloSea5 are currently indicating!!!:reindeer-emoji:❄️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Well I'm expecting a super dooper 12z, upgrades and more of a block to our north or in the Atlantic by the end of the month.

Something like this.:cold:

gens-19-0-276.png

gens-19-1-276.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Hi bluearmy. Granted with the first point, but conditional on the split happening in the way that the models are showing, it would bring severe cold in January.  It would be a yes or no question, if it went favourably it would definitely not be a damp squid cold snap, surely.  The uncertainty is all with whether it happens at all, not how severe it would be.

Just to add, I'm not ramping, I genuinely think the chances of a really cold January are now as high as 80%, will apologise on here later if the 20% solution verifies!

I guess it depends if you mean sustained severe cold or a severe cold snap .... sustained is always a tough ask for an island on the western edge of a continent and the eastern edge of a warm ocean .....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
16 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I guess it depends if you mean sustained severe cold or a severe cold snap .... sustained is always a tough ask for an island on the western edge of a continent and the eastern edge of a warm ocean .....

Quite, and I like using the example of Sakhalin to contrast. Even narrower than the UK and on more southerly latitudes but with much colder winters due to being on the Eastern edge of the vast Eurasian land mass. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

It’s December. Hardly a month renowned for bitterly cold weather, snow and ice. March is by far a better month for getting the goods, despite having more strength from the sun and longer days.

You’ll be hard pushed to find a December with a real vicious dosage of winter. The only ones that come to mind are 2009, 2010 and by the reports and hearings, 1978, that’s about it! 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

It’s December. Hardly a month renowned for bitterly cold weather, snow and ice. March is by far a better month for getting the goods, despite having more strength from the sun and longer days.

You’ll be hard pushed to find a December with a real vicious dosage of winter. The only ones that come to mind are 2009, 2010 and by the reports and hearings, 1978, that’s about it! 

For my locality add December 1981.

March? 2018 and......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 hour ago, Frosty. said:

Sigh of relief regarding longer term outlook, Exeter shows no downgrade from yesterday..that's a big box ticked!..as I've said earlier, hopefully the operational output improves regarding christmas and longer term..potentially early 2019 could deliver for coldies in the hunt for deep entrenched cold and snow / snaw!❄️:santa-emoji:

Yes Karl, the only light at the end of the tunnel seems to be MetO and strat forecasts promising better chances of cold in January since GFS has slowly trended to a more zonal outlook over Christmas in line with ECM.

It would take a bit of reversal now to see cold and blocked on Christmas day but just about still a straw to hang on to is the chance of a Atlantic ridge just before the big day.

There have been a few chances of cold in December and some chill in the air with blocking attempting to establish itself but always the Atlantic has overrun it so as usual it is a game of patience waiting for a proper cold spell.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
5 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

For my locality add December 1981.

March? 2018 and......

March 2018 and 2013 left snowdrifts that I’ve never seen before in any other month, not even january 2010 or Feb 2009, which were amazing months for snow by U.K. standards. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

March 2018 and 2013 left snowdrifts that I’ve never seen before in any other month, not even january 2010 or Feb 2009, which were amazing months for snow by U.K. standards. 

2013 was cold but bone dry here.

• Thanks 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Words, huh, they can get you in trouble.  For clarification, my expectation is a more potent version of Jan 2013.

I guess it depends on what I mean by potent? 

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Not totally correct that comment about December

Yes 2010 ranks 2nd since 1659, then 1981 (0.3)ranked 9 th and 1950 ranked 20th (2.0), all in my experience by the way!

To say also that March delivers the goods more then December is probably correct even with the sun higher.

At my low location the 20 years stats show 2 and 3 for days of snow and snow lying in December with March having 3 and 7 respectively. Perhaps a bit of a surprise to some of us?

• Like 4

Thanks @Bullseye

Looking at the superensemble mean for the elipses in the stratosphere this morning the score in terms of achieving a split of the vortex ( even when we go negative on the zonal wind & we have a technical SSW ) it was 0 out of 64 runs.

So a displacement is near 100% at the first time of asking...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

My 80% figure is from my understanding, such that it is, and what the models are saying, including the long range ones that I have seen.  But you could draw exactly the same conclusion from the Met Office 16-30 day forecast - they would not be so bullish if they weren't pretty damn certain.

Good point. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Not totally correct that comment about December

Yes 2010 ranks 2nd since 1659, then 1981 (0.3)ranked 9 th and 1950 ranked 20th (2.0), all in my experience by the way!

To say also that March delivers the goods more then December is probably correct even with the sun higher.

At my low location the 20 years stats show 2 and 3 for days of snow and snow lying in December with March having 3 and 7 respectively. Perhaps a bit of a surprise to some of us?

You could actually also make a case for January (sounds absurd) not really ever consistently delivering throughout a whole month very often at all during my lifetime, yes i have experienced my biggest dumpings and a lot of my potent cold spells in Jan but a lot of the very best cold spells in Jan did not last very long and i have had an awful lot of zonal Januaries, i think there was even a summary from a respected meteorological organisation once on each month of the year and the average UK conditions and they described Jan as one of the most Atlantic driven months of the year, Feb really is the month of blocking but that seems to have changed the last few decades.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Thanks @Bullseye

Looking at the superensemble mean for the elipses in the stratosphere this morning the score in terms of achieving a split of the vortex ( even when we go negative on the zonal wind & we have a technical SSW ) it was 0 out of 64 runs.

So a displacement is near 100% at the first time of asking...

I don't think anyone thinks there will be a split at the point of the technical SSW, Steve?  At least I haven't heard anyone say so.  It is the second time of asking that is of interest...big interest.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

UKMO at T144, signs of HP building towards Greenland there. Not too sad.

UN144-21.gif

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I don't think anyone thinks there will be a split at the point of the technical SSW, Steve?  At least I haven't heard anyone say so.  It is the second time of asking that is of interest...big interest.

When is the second warming scheduled....which hopefully leads to a split?

Posted
42 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Atlantic ridge evident still on ICON T180, could give that northerly for Christmas day still...

image.thumb.jpg.ff870efbb7309be4a59309184482c94a.jpg

Yup, looks like our best chance for something white over Christmas and wouldn't it be nice if it extended into Greenland as we go into the new year.:oldrolleyes: