Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
4 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Eastfight by ec 00z next week

ECM0-120.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
47 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

The hunt for cold -- I found it at T384. Diving low followed by true arctic outbreak, on Christmas Eve too. This could fade in and out for a few more days, something like that seems plausible once the increasingly cold zonal runs out of energy and the jet drops away further. Just about the same timing as 2009-10 in the last Modoki type El Nino.

(although that started up with some cold southeasterly stuff before a northerly developed)

The thing about this winter is, parts of the arctic are actually colder than normal, in particular, the Canadian arctic islands and north/west Greenland. So if that anomaly can either expand or shift east, we might get the rare synoptics that many crave. 

I completely agree with your sentiments. Things look like they sit on a knife edge synoptically. While most are looking to the East for a cold source of air, I am looking to the North. What was interesting was the ensembles for that time period. Naturally all over the place with a large spread, but the GFS operational 850pa temps are forecast actually warmer than the GEFS control mean and a significant number of seperate runs of the models. One to watch. Low pressure bringing in a Northern flow of air. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
13 hours ago, snowray said:

Morning 

Not sure why it’s quoting the above (sorry) 

The T168 ECM looks interesting , could that be a snow event ? Nasty little low . 

FCBAA587-2F71-4ED5-9B4F-FF332CC58E34.png

AD246222-EC95-47B7-9D0F-5F782165C94C.png

Also the vortex looks smashed on the ECM this morning . Could get very interesting in the next few weeks. Can’t wait . E5DCECB7-2207-4030-9FDD-9AA594500160.thumb.png.b6de3b866b7fe98f6bc0ed37db2d1a6a.png

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
6 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Morning 

Not sure why it’s quoting the above (sorry) 

The T168 ECM looks interesting , could that be a snow event ? Nasty little low . 

FCBAA587-2F71-4ED5-9B4F-FF332CC58E34.png

AD246222-EC95-47B7-9D0F-5F782165C94C.png

Also the vortex looks smashed on the ECM this morning . Could get very interesting in the next few weeks. Can’t wait . E5DCECB7-2207-4030-9FDD-9AA594500160.thumb.png.b6de3b866b7fe98f6bc0ed37db2d1a6a.png

You can quote me as much as you like IC, as long as you post some tasty looking charts with it...only joking!

Well I really like the look of UKMO and the ECM this morning, the undercuts around T144/T168 would likely produce snowfall around the country for some of us, its looking very promising to me. Might even be further upgrades in the pipeline, I mean the Scandi high has not even formed yet, Atlantic might die down just a little bit more, all going in the right direction:oldgrin:

• Like 4

Posted

Not too impressed with the EC mean , Icelandic low dominating our part of the NH..

edit looking at the mean and op at 144 suggests a lot of members not seeing the trough distruption so perhaps the mean will be skewed therafter?

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted

Beautiful ecm and ukmo this morning!!continues the upgrades from yesterday in regards to the scandi high to such an extent we not see a potential snow event across england at least before trough disrupts and slides south east at 168 hours!bring it on!!

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, shaky said:

Beautiful ecm and ukmo this morning!!continues the upgrades from yesterday in regards to the scandi high to such an extent we not see a potential snow event across england at least before trough disrupts and slides south east at 168 hours!bring it on!!

well i guess its all about opinions, i prefer UKMO 144 , for me its the pick of the 3 ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Also if you compare the 144 chart from the gfs yesterday to todays 132 hour chart you can see the trough disruption  taking place slightly further west!after all the doom and gloom last couple of days things have really picked up!!cant wait for a few nights of frost now and then BAM all that snow next week!

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, shaky said:

Also if you compare the 144 chart from the gfs yesterday to todays 132 hour chart you can see the trough disruption  taking place slightly further west!after all the doom and gloom last couple of days things have really picked up!!cant wait for a few nights of frost now and then BAM all that snow next week!

EC snow charts do indeed show snowfall between 144-168 ..

Although the accuracy of this data is questionable it would be nice to see some snow next week.

my laptop wont post the image but at 141 hours there is snow across much of the country, by 162 wales gets clobbered!!

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, shaky said:

I'm loving it too matey, really enjoying watching the models and the friendly debates in here

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 minutes ago, shaky said:

Ideally we want the colder air move in and as far west as possible and then the undercut for full effect. ie, snow potential, UKMO is close to doing this at T144.

• Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Not too impressed with the EC mean , Icelandic low dominating our part of the NH..

edit looking at the mean and op at 144 suggests a lot of members not seeing the trough distruption so perhaps the mean will be skewed therafter?

That’s often the case with these set ups . The lower resolution ensembles always struggle until closer in to the event .

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC snow charts do indeed show snowfall between 144-168 ..

Although the accuracy of this data is questionable it would be nice to see some snow next week.

my laptop wont post the image but at 141 hours there is snow across much of the country, by 162 wales gets clobbered!!

Told ya!!also compare the 120 hour ecm 850 teml chart from 12z yesterday to the 120 hour chart to todays it really is astonishing how much further west the cold air has gone!!its an even bigger difference if you compare it to yesteday mornings 144 hour chart!its madness!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Mild sector alert!

image.thumb.png.736300cb5497c1bb1680394bff73e98d.png

Good trends this morning though and still pretty much on a knifes edge.

• Like 1

Fantastic start to the day, i feel something is brewing and its not my cuppa... xmas week could be some fun and games for many, i get the feeling this place is going to be very busy over the next few months, could we be in for a classic old style 70's/80's winter? it would be nice and about time too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Is it my imagination, or has the 'centre of gravity' of the GEFS ensemble slipped ever so slightly towards a colder set of solutions? Anyway, Suffolk's 850s ought to be the best place to look, if an easterly draw has any traction...?

GEFS Ensembles Chart

• Like 1