Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
3 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

It's got an evil face and white eyes.

lol Yes but there's 3 of them.

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

lol Yes but 3 of them?

There's no mistake that's the Beast ok lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
12 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

And so... the final run of the Autumn signs off with this outrageous offering...

11772CB6-92FF-423B-AE70-AB6575B932C1.thumb.png.e465f81608fcb1b3b3e1ebed56f476dc.png

I’ve been around the block enough times to know this. When we are genuinely staring down the zonal barrel, the charts simply do not show this. Not even in FI.  And certainly not to the extent that, albeit still only a minority, these charts are cropping up.

We are not looking at a flat jet 3 - 4 week zonal onslaught. There are times when, yes, that is the case in UK winters, but this is not one of those times. Of course - we could end up with just that, a mild zonal December. But there is clearly  a blocking signal later in the month. Granted, not a strong signal by any means, but it’s there.

The MJO will likely be passing through the wrong phase at that time but it doesn’t control our weather, it only influences it. To my mind, Wave 1 displacement could be the big player here, keeping the vortex on the NW side but more NW than default. This will encourage heights to build NE and very robust ones too. Think Feb 1991. 

Which is why I don’t get those who have already written off the month. Bizarre. Note, I am not predicting one outcome or the other (just yet), just pointing out that at this juncture it is completely wrong and misleading to rule anything out from mid month to the end of the month.

Good post.

And notes the mother lobe limpit-situ..

But wave destruct in 'perfect' measure.

As responces play kiss chase...

And in the middle is the boy with all the girls!!!.

Honestly..there is serious miss diagnosis here...

And the vig-vortex is a little light years away here...as the data is still not prog-of the melting in the alaskan/canadian needle..pin in balloon strike...

Which as we gain through raws...and indeed/supports..will jump out with notable insight!!..

The pressing of trop-teasing..has took the dinner money @the strat..'overall'.

And i reiterate...some twisting and munip-..will be the order....as 4 mid/latter prognosis!!!!

As the rapid connects, gain.

Again the pv-as a whole is a scared wolf..driven from the pack...

Look 4 dramatic ens shake...and indeed..some reevaluation-of dec-formats/forecasts!!!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
6 hours ago, sorepaw1 said:

It's got an evil face and white eyes.

Quite witch-like, maybe the three meet again in thunder, lightening or snow! (With apologies to Billy Shakespeare)" where the place?" Er, UK wide will do nicely thanks!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Where is everyone? The charts are looking good this morning. Surprised there’s not more excitement. The runs where terrible 36 hours ago , they have now flipped and are looking excellent.

in their pits, but thought EC would liven forum up

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Where is everyone? The charts are looking good this morning. Surprised there’s not more excitement. The runs where terrible 36 hours ago , they have now flipped and are looking excellent.

I'm waiting until the ensemble comes out, gfs and parallel not really on board yet 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
1 minute ago, ArHu3 said:

I'm waiting until the ensemble comes out, gfs and parallel not really on board yet 

Morning, I’m just loving the fact all models have moved away from zonal. The gfs is still good has high pressure building north it’s just not as good as the ECM .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

A nice run from the ECM this morning pushing the trough into south Scandinavia and Denmark and allowing hieght rises in the vicinity of Iceland which try very hard to join up with the the Russian high to our North east. Certainly ties in with last night's De Bolt ensembles going cold later in that run.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Momentum definitely on our side again but lots to resolve. Height rises over Scandinavia looking probable but still on a knife edge in my opinion. 144 hrs the key time frame we need the upstream pattern to play ball still it does on the ECM and we  see the rewards 

Screenshot_20181201-073057.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Cheeky little day 10. 

ECE1-240 (1).gif

ECE0-240 (1).gif

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Well hello ECM, this is much more like it.

ECH1-168.png

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, JBMWeatherForever said:

The ECM starting to look very interesting for the second week in December onwards.  Hopefully the GFS will start getting into a Christmassy mood shortly,I think it might. Then we may well be staring down the barrel of a mid December direct hit from the "Beast from the East" !   Its December so, put up the tree - check, make my first mince pies - check, write to Santa - check.  Dear Santa, please can we have some Narnia scenes delivered to the UK before Christmas !   

Agreed - I'd settle for a mild January and February if it meant a week of snow either side of Christmas.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

GEFS seems to be on the same page around week 2 too. An exciting pattern evolving.

gensnh-0-0-228.png

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Blimey peeps! What a turnaround, since this time yesterday!:cold:

• Like 4