Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
9 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

But without getting to picky on a chart at that distance, look at the big wedge of cloud heading our way.

that cloud is the dividing line between the cooler PM and TM air

Yes but some sunshine or the constant cloud and rain we've had over the last week i know which i'd pick :oldgood: 

And if you compare these two charts from the Midnight run and the Midday run i'd certainly say it's a baby step in the right direction with more amplification being progged.

icon-0-177.thumb.png.9247d1a58d1e45b609a90616c0a17e56.pngicon-0-165.thumb.png.40c85fd79a57f3ac9bc5d3dd9c1d1e0f.png

Although we might end up back at Square one by tomorrow it's still something to hold on to and to give people some intrigue,I'd say this is less than what can be said from some of the output over the last few days. I get your point of course that it could be better but let's take it one step at a time eh :oldsmile:

Edited by Summerstorm
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

Day 15 ECM ENS looks pretty good, HP just to our North 

9C2CC349-3981-4DB0-94C7-721610A9A38A.png

That’s the anomaly Ali - the high is very uk centric ...... poss just north of the n Ireland coast if you want to pin it down ....

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Sinking where to?  - check your crystal ball and let me know ! 

Eps - 50 members 

Why do we need a crystal ball to see the the momentum of the high and the positioning of he jet?
tempresult_rqf2.gif

Edited by frosty ground

Posted

The icon is absolutley useless, it literally only gets posted because it comes out before all the other models, that being said that 180 chart would only end up with the high flattened over us after that.

I know we all love the cold/snow and want it to happen but I honestly think this is an absolute  non starter within the next 10 days, the GFS at the same time is a bore fest with the vortex firing up in a terrible position for HLB prospects and a sluggish high over Europe

Edited by Weathizard

Posted
7 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Why do we need a crystal ball to see the the momentum of the high and the positioning of he jet?
tempresult_rqf2.gif

it’s not going to gain any more traction than that but I don’t see that it has to sink - probably drift in our direction as the trough pulls se

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

it’s not going to gain any more traction than that but I don’t see that it has to sink - probably drift in our direction as the trough pulls se

You can see the core of the heights pivoting and heading south east, they are not drifting they are sinking. 

Of course the next run may add more amplification but as it stands its not a great run.  (new trend or improved trend) pharphs.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

The icon is absolutley useless, it literally only gets posted because it comes out before all the other models, that being said that 180 chart would only end up with the high flattened over us after that.

I know we all love the cold/snow and want it to happen but I honestly think this is an absolute  non starter within the next 10 days, the GFS at the same time is a bore fest.

I can understand what your saying but I actuay regard the icon quite highly as in February with regards to the easterly it pretty much outdid every other model. 

let's not forget no model has covered itself past the 120 in to much glory. 

Edited by ALL ABOARD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

Moving into phase 6    blocked and colder.  fingers crossed 

I thought phase 4 was a decent for blocking around Greenland.

Posted

That low over the UK is causing mayhem .

The GFS takes ages to split the energy, we want to see this split sooner . Because it drags this out into a mini series the high can never get sufficiently north .

You can see the difference this makes in both tonights ICON and GEM, earlier split is key .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

I'm by no means experienced at chart watching/interpretation, but the strengthening jet coming out of eastern Canada at 300H on GFS 12z looks like bad news from a coldie's perspective.  Someone please tell me I'm flat wrong! 

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure what to make of the 12zs..

Think we can safely say high pressure will have more influence as we head into Christmas, the million dollar question is where the high migrates too, and i'm not sure the models know at this stage..

Posted
3 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Main core of the vortex on the 'right' side of the hemisphere on this run

gfsnh-0-360-1.thumb.png.84c2e644d5756eb5c8f47a5ff54b5bfd.png

But still a pretty hefty chunk over Greenland...

Lets see where EC takes us..

GFS strat ends with ..

gfsnh-10-384.png?12

main core of PV across Western Russia..

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

But still a pretty hefty chunk over Greenland...

Lets see where EC takes us..

Doesn't necessarily mean bad news though... 

archivesnh-1962-12-23-0-0.thumb.png.3fddbfb0e8a4950edddf62f7ca643b6e.png

• Like 7

Posted

I’m very happy to have the high staying over us, will make for some nice seasonal weather as oppose the absolute dirge and deluge we’ve had recently, as someone who works outdoors it will be a big relief.

Personally can’t see much sign of HLB or a cold outbreak in the next 10 days, the Iberian heights are one of the most stubborn and irritating winter sypnotics, especially if the vortex strengthens around Greenland as the GFS suggests.

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
44 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

tempresult_rqf2.gif

Pressure is lowering over Iberia and Europe??

BFTP

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
4 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Pressure is lowering over Iberia and Europe??

BFTP

I think we're just seeing a change in the orientation of the high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The potential for a very cold Arctic blast is still there, on Day 16...In the absence of any deep cold to our east (none that looks like coming this way just yet, anyway?) a wee bit of extrapolation might just keep our moods up...?:yahoo:

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 4