Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Eps mean says uk centric ......... let’s see how varied the clusters are to see if the mean is a reasonable place days 10/15

the spread at day 10 shows just to our west up towards Iceland as being pretty solid for the upper ridge extension 

Sounds more promising than GEFS to me.. Dont want to see any high getting shunted into Europe.

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Anyone expecting to see height rises in the n Atlantic (Iceland west) in the 10/16 day period  - the GEFS say impossible with low Greenland anomolys 

that’s good then,because the gefs are pretty useless and flip flop all the time anyway.

• Like 1

Posted

If this was a simple low clears east ridge gets pushed ne ahead of the east USA low then the outlook would be a bit more certain .

The problem is the shallow low over the UK doesn’t move east as a whole but splits with energy heading sw and east .

So the limpet high to the south can’t escape north until that energy separates . As you’ll see from the ECM it pulls the high further nw but there’s not sufficient jet cut back to draw colder uppers in from the ne.

It’s still possible Christmas week will develop more interest at least in terms of some frostier conditions . 

Best wait and see how the models resolve the complicated low set up over the UK.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, was going to say that, however, we wont know the actual synoptics as we cant see the strat height profile but i have a fairly good idea of what might happen, thats just about as good as it gets for us, build up of searing cold on the continent while a Greeny delivers the goods, then a topple into scandi to advect the Jan1987 uppers westward at yes, you've guessed it, the coldest time of the year, 

That 18z FV3 was nothing particularly special - here is the zonal wind time series -

939635247_ugrdprsingfs_0p25_preparafv3_18z181216.thumb.png.3fde7dce3f5b14c4b632c05456af3b06.png

Minimum of 7.9 m/s at 29/12 06z

563046202_hgtprsingfs_0p25_preparafv3_18z181216101.thumb.png.952d92a80e81d584b987a4aecf61b259.png

End of run 16.7 m/s at 1/1 18z

408151251_hgtprsingfs_0p25_preparafv3_18z181216129.thumb.png.fe87999e9b668c3215f28fa803ed8863.png

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

EPS towards Christmas has high pressure developing just to the West of the UK, extended EPS ridge it a little further Northwards towards the New Year period though I wouldn't exactly call it a HLB, more a mid/extending Northwards block. 

Certainly cooler and seasonal, but probably not the deep cold many want just yet

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The GFS 06Z is not a pretty sight either...Like Katy Price, without her makeup - all the lines are where they shouldn't be!

Netweather GFS Image

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Does the last few pages of posts point to a change in the much touted colder ( blocked ) chances going threw jan??Zonal winds upticked ?

Edited by swfc

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Latest GEFS are not at all pretty..

Cold.thumb.png.dd3d13d19640a5132890ce2e51f80086.png

They only go to 1st Jan though, and most of us are not expecting anything significant wintry until after that anyway? (Post-SSW territory).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
22 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

EPS towards Christmas has high pressure developing just to the West of the UK, extended EPS ridge it a little further Northwards towards the New Year period though I wouldn't exactly call it a HLB, more a mid/extending Northwards block. 

Certainly cooler and seasonal, but probably not the deep cold many want just yet

The most reasonable model signals I've seen so far today for the final week of this month.

Still room for a bit more adjustment NW of the ridge based on what I wrote about yesterday.

Meanwhile GFS/GEFS appear to be in chocolate fireguard mode.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, Singularity said:

The most reasonable model signals I've seen so far today for the final week of this month.

Still room for a bit more adjustment NW of the ridge based on what I wrote about yesterday.

Meanwhile GFS/GEFS appear to be in chocolate fireguard mode.

You would expect the ECM/EPS to have a better handle on dealing with post SSW compared with the GFS too which is encouraging, I wouldn't trust the GFS zonal forecast too much yet, especially given what happened last week and how dramatically it backed away from the zonal signal it was showing. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves
15 hours ago, tight isobar said:

Yeah..certainly..the raws..seem to be miss firing-on the upper layers...and spike responces at hand.

Even this 1 snap ecm 12z op..

Has to my eye underestimate..on the flow...and maybe moreso that tap in -injection of cold out east/north east..

Again im sticking....xmas the doors open...the party starts...

Confidence growing 4 me..

And the raw-datas..should begin 2 pull a line on the above mentioned!....

Within coming days.

ECH0-216.gif

Having viewed the rather underwhelming overnight runs it's at times like this that one has a tendency to look back on recent posts such as this for some form of solace. One can only hope there might be an equally positive follow up within the next 12 hours....or so! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick F said:

I think a low chance that most of us will see any cold and wintry weather this side of New Year,so not much to get excited about before January, but with the EPS yesterday starting to dabble with a SPV split in early January and the GEFS mean going for -10 m/s zonal wind  and all members below 0 m/s - there is still much for cold and snow lover to look forward to in January and February.

u_65N_10hpa_gefs.thumb.png.be2f157544f2203f71fe42af408d9a33.png

26 GFS runs since and including the first to feature a reversed zonal wind - 8 runs reverse, 18 don't, only 1 reversal in last 7 runs - something's got to give.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 minute ago, Interitus said:

26 GFS runs since and including the first to feature a reversed zonal wind - 8 runs reverse, 18 don't, only 1 reversal in last 7 runs - something's got to give.

I take it you are growing increasingly pessimistic of a SSW in the New Year then?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The eventual demise of that long-lived Atlantic low has always been a potential fly-in-the-ointment, I feel: each run has a different 'solution': 

Netweather GFS Image

Nooooo! Not one of those.

Netweather GFS Image

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

I take it you are growing increasingly pessimistic of a SSW in the New Year then?

Conditions seem right but it could go either way, or if there is one it could be marginal so as not to have much of an impact. Then depending on how it affects the waveguides it could be well into February before there is another shot.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

I don’t know how true this is but I had heard that pressure rises in the mid latitudes may be the first response to a Stratospheric warming so would it be plausible to expect some milder weather or at least mild upper air temps before hopefully something colder.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Interitus said:

Conditions seem right but it could go either way, or if there is one it could be marginal so as not to have much of an impact. Then depending on how it affects the waveguides it could be well into February before there is another shot.

Thanks for the reply, I have been thinking that the GFS maybe a bit too progressive in slowing and eventually reversing the zonal winds, as other models have yet to show such consistency with such a strong reversal. So still reasons to be optimistic but caution required for now I guess. In the meantime, trop lead for the next few weeks at least, hopefully the MJO cycle goes back into the colder phases in the New Year in a coherent amplitude potentially, which will help us out before any possible strat-trop coupling should the SPV displace/weaken in the New Year.