Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

ECM is proper .... Zzzzzz What hell happened? Can't be too long before that signal comes back

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, IDO said:

I think we all expected the GFS (yesterday 12z) to backtrack viz developments around D10, ergo Greenland, as it has only small cluster support, and it was likely overdoing pattern changes as it does at that range. GEM keeps the wedge of heights but simply there is no cold to draw and we probably end milder than average (IMBY). ECM is consistently bad for cold.

Although the upstream pattern is not flat-flat, it might as well be, as any attempted ridge development just gets shoved east in the flow, helping with that fluid non-blocked upstream profile. The lack of any Pacific Wave strength is meaning that the trop PV although ripe for the taking instead can just meander around with little disturbance, still showing no sign of wanting to reform. Of course, this is also a negative for trop to strat would almost certainly be a precursor for a more potent SSW. 

All in all, we really do need the pattern to reset, or an early SSW, as the current repeating pattern hasn't worked so far this Winter, so I for one want rid ASAP. 

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

EC's mjo forecast is all over the place though, hopefully we end up getting a favorable one 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Kightley said:

ECM is proper .... Zzzzzz What hell happened? Can't be too long before that signal comes back

As others have said, GFS was leading us up the garden path..

Lets see how the next few days pan out model wise.

Patience is going to be required.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
11 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Really? But then you wouldn't be able to reappear and post every time the output looks mild. I could set my watch by you. 

There is plenty of time left until Xmas which is still in FI. ECM has flip flopped over the past few days and not shown true consistency. UKMO still shows a less flat pattern, FV3 showing interest in FI, compared to the soon to be outdated gfs op run. So there we are, but you knew all of that already. I know your game. 

I try not to post when cold charts are showing, especially when I believe they are unlikely to happen as it is clearly taken the wrong way! So I just add my thoughts in quieter times as to what is going wrong, just musings from an amateur, so please take it for what it is, no conspiracy I assure you!

Of course it can all flip, but I am not seeing any strong background signal in the medium term, so until I do, just reporting what I see and why all the FI eye candy is just that. Cheers.

• Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, Dave Kightley said:

EC is confused by the mjo, it's all over the place 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Painful Ecm / Gfs 00z for coldies, nothing wintry after today, it looks atlantic driven / drivel, hardly any frost, no snow apart from possibly a bit for the scottish mountains. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, IDO said:

I try not to post when cold charts are showing, especially when I believe they are unlikely to happen as it is clearly taken the wrong way! So I just add my thoughts in quieter times as to what is going wrong, just musings from an amateur, so please take it for what it is, no conspiracy I assure you!

Of course it can all flip, but I am not seeing any strong background signal in the medium term, so until I do, just reporting what I see and why all the FI eye candy is just that. Cheers.

Its fine to do this, even in this thread, but given the threads have changed, surely only if you also do post them, when you do think they are going to happen, if not then not only could you choose a better thread for your post, you are using totally the opposite thread.

• Like 9

Posted
8 minutes ago, mulzy said:

As Frosty and others have intimated, the NWP is pretty ordinary this morning - no point sugar-coating that fact.  However, with developments in the Strat and with the MetOffice so bullish about cold weather, this place will soon be buzzing again.  Keep the faith folks - after the medium term pain comes the long-term gain!

Agreed Mulzy.

We got to hope Exeter are on the ball and the strat warming has a positive influence for us..

Have enjoyed this weeks cold dry weather, hopefully it will return post christmas.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Also people hanging on individual runs. Not being funny but until there are consistent runs and professionals saying there's been a turn around then I don't see any reason to be so dispondent this morning. 

• Like 1

Posted

As always in UK, patience will definitely be required.

I think we now have to forget anything in terms of significant cold & snow happening countrywide during December!

Surely, with the strong signal for SSW combined with other positive atmospheric drivers, something in the way of severe wintry weather will develop during January or February?

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

I’m very happy what’s going on high up in the stratosphere so exciting times ahead. Xmas is ten days away so still time for a change colder setup Met Office also mentioned colder weather to come later on I expect models to start picking up on a cold spell soon rather then later...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Reasonably good support for the ECM op this morning on the 850s when looking at the mean. I think a lot of patience is going to be required for those seeking deep cold.

graphe_ens3.thumb.png.4d7bf55bca99fc8a42badbb2e04f909f.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
10 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

Strange 18z GFS tonight. Iberian heights balloon.

0z follows, that could be a right spoiler as will stop any LP dropping ESE or SSE.  I’ll watch out for that as it is a little concern as I’m not anticipating any strong block to NE this side of New Year and things could get ‘confined’ to the far north.  Not a good morning medium term chart wise 

To add GFS ok on Xmas Eve,   though it’s still at day 8-10 so no panic.......yet

Edit.....timing of importance....22nd onwards and looked at models closer rather than glance.  Scenario anticipated higher heights to S/SW getting shoved south as a deep LP (could be extension of main driving trough over northern Scandi) to shift over U.K. moving generally SE to bring pM winds/airmass wNW swinging to N then NE winds over Xmas.  GFS has that with GFS p similar but colder.  ( I hope more  p and colder still.  UKMO actually looks to be heading that way and ‘could’.....could turn out colder.  ECM....don’t like it.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted

Well, certainly not what I wanted to see. Strong SW winds exactly on Christmas day from ECM and GFS this morning. Fascinating how it happens almost every year in Central Europe. Hoping for a change.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, daz_4 said:

Well, certainly not what I wanted to see. Strong SW winds exactly on Christmas day from ECM and GFS this morning. Fascinating how it happens almost every year in Central Europe. Hoping for a change.

Yep, scenes on Christmas cards should have been changed to wet & windy many years ago!  ?️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
3 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

It’s looking colder on Christmas Day with gfs Maybe  we can upgrade on that over next few days..

5102EEB5-98FD-42D8-95A6-9E0C79748D23.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
13 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Reasonably good support for the ECM op this morning on the 850s when looking at the mean. I think a lot of patience is going to be required for those seeking deep cold.

graphe_ens3.thumb.png.4d7bf55bca99fc8a42badbb2e04f909f.png

Probably have to wait for December 2019.

Posted

No point worrying about FI charts being boring etc, the Stratosperic picture won’t be seen on any models yet - and although I’d love the UK to have a white Xmas I think any big freeze due to a possible SSW won’t be till New Year or just after. Just some normal winter type stuff till then, although today some will get lucky up North and at altitude!! I would hope to see some better looking FI charts by late this next week if all goes in our favour 

• Like 3