Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

To be honest I dont think its about Greenland.. its more to do with energy coming out of the states..

It's a bit of both also is it the Gem that meant to be good around Greenland area thought i heard? 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, booferking said:

It's a bit of both also is it the Gem that meant to be good around Greenland area thought i heard? 

Not sure mate, its not often i can think of GEM outdoing ECM- perhaps the odd time..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

In the longer term it isn't about any of that, it is about the dove from above, the strat.

Trawling the GEFS 12z for possible split vortrex evolutions, and there were a few candidates, here:

image.thumb.jpg.987583c49e624e2e13b16f2679ee1cd1.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.41e2ec640af5ecce44303bacc522740b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.7bdb206b31fb13a896031d43327d755f.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.9b1e100f52418bb065477f3bb7a9cb53.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.323f25c163c80f59b3da01f025f870d5.jpg

The issue here is not the red high temperatures, but where the blues go, Is there evidence of a split? This may be a non question, because the Met Office update  wording suggests that they have taken a split  into account,  but we are only just seeing it, if there is to be a freezing January, we need to see much more of charts showing a strat split, and then annihilation...we will see them in the next few days I honestly expect!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Even the ecm evolution should eventually lead to HLB but possibly at the expense of Xmas cold. Day 10 on the ecm shows disruption taking place...

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

A cold and festive  Gfs  at Christmas Eve , Ecm not so sure ..... ?

festive.png

festivex.png

Posted
13 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

To be honest I dont think its about Greenland.. its more to do with energy coming out of the states..

Add in the Iberian High or is it the Azores High migrating north, or even a mid-Atlantic ridge - well, whatever anyone wants to label it - whilst it sits there and occasionally moves slightly further North it'll help deflect Atlantic lows and troughs through or over Blighty.

Dont forget the Spanish meto Winter forecast. At mo it is proving accurate for Iberia (early days i know).

On the other hand those with knowledge on here re Strat splits, SSW, etc have said patience will be rewarded and model output wont reflect Strat issues quite yet. If they are proved correct then chart output will, likely, flip in almost an instant one suspects.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The big issue that divides ECM from GFS and UKMO is the extent to which the MJO movement through phases 4-5 flattens the Pacific pattern and whether it's enough to leave us looking to the next AAM surge in the final days of Dec instead of the current one for lagged impacts. 

The greater variability and less supported nature of the ECM run even among its own ensembles makes it the lower confidence outcome but sadly - if you're seeking a transition to cold weather as soon as possible - doesn't mean we can rule it out.

Worthy of note that even with the greater MJO interference, some amplification's still getting underway on the 10th day of the output. This suggests that not a lot of toning down of the MJO interference is needed to produce some more appealing charts. Interesting that this isn't about the amplitude of the MJO itself - rather how well the perturbations to the planetary wave train are able to propagate despite the opposing El Nino base state.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
9 hours ago, carinthian said:

24 hours on from yesterdays update (above post ) Basically no change in the output. UK will be back in cold by day 9. They think ECM will correct in its next run. Meanwhile , a bit cold on the mountain this morning, currently -10c in the location of the picture below.  Hope the weather turns seasonal for Christmas as I will be back in Blighty for a few days over the festive period before jetting off to Vancouver for a few weeks to see my new grandson.

C

93.jpg

Sort of half and delayed correction from ECM towards the other main models.  UKMO extended looks very close to GFS in North Atlantic chart  at 168t. Tomorrow may paint another picture.

C

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A few posts have been hidden. Please keep discussion around the weather rather than any of the members. Apart from anything else it just takes the thread way off topic. 

Cheers guys ☺️

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

No it’s to do with the jetstream.....it can be fierce...but it’s about the track 

BFTP

• Like 3

Oh bugger, just come to the realisation that ive moved in to the middle of nowhere and we dont have any lamp posts. crap what the heck am i gonna do? ive got an outside light but not so sure thats gonna cut the mustard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

I am concerned about the GFS operational run being a cold outlier. However,  It does look like the GEFS is trending colder too

Do I let my heart rule my head and say GFS or do I go for the ECM???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
23 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Oh bugger, just come to the realisation that ive moved in to the middle of nowhere and we dont have any lamp posts. crap what the heck am i gonna do? ive got an outside light but not so sure thats gonna cut the mustard.

Yeah, you may need one tomorrow with the rain, sleet and possible snow the models show.

Maybe might be worth looking up some lamp post makers within your area of Scotland, and contacting any within the closest proximity to you. Just then got to hope one of the makers will install a lamp post in time ready for the arrival of tomorrow’s wintry, stormy, weather.

Hope that’s of some help.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

I am concerned about the GFS operational run being a cold outlier. However,  It does look like the GEFS is trending colder too

Do I let my heart rule my head and say GFS or do I go for the ECM???

Go for ECM. It will help avoid heartache in the morning lol.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
Just now, blizzard81 said:

Go for ECM. It will help avoid heartache in the morning lol.

I know..

Lol.. right stronger Jetstream at T192, but still very kinked. What's coming out of the USA is not as potent. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

I know..

Lol.. right stronger Jetstream at T192, but still very kinked. What's coming out of the USA is not as potent. 

The models are desperately trying to find their way upon the onset of the strat warming so I expect all operational runs to be even more volatile than usual over the next couple of days.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

This is exactly the pattern that the EC clusters have been hinting at for a while (with a sprinkling of my own logical interpretation ).

We're now into the "will there be a white Christmas or not" territory, and for once, we are in the game (imo). 

My main concern is the EC op persisting with heights to the east. Good heights east + rising heights west = possibility of being stuck on the wrong side of the trough in the middle. 

Or, dare I dream, could the two areas of heights link over the top to the north, sinking our trough into Europe? That would be the jackpot. 

I have this feeling that model watching will be quite exciting in the next 72 hours!

And the nightmare of heights west and east with  us in no man's land comes to fruitation. 18z

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

When you see output that over our area of the world looks different from one run to another it’s difficult to have much faith in the outcome but if we are looking for themes then I would say look where the PV is and look at blocking been shown all be it in various locations. Detail is going to be impossible at this stage imo but certainly enough to keep us very interested.

3F359451-104F-4D91-8F82-A7FC4E102E81.png

59A044DB-1B63-42E0-A555-C8ED34AA5ED3.png