Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Nice one C..

Trouble is knowing our luck EC will be correct with its flatter Atlantic profile..

168 UKMO actually looks really promising the more i look at ..

On the face of it yes but we are denied any upper wind and temp profiles on the chart . Also limited viewing to see pressure pattern further to the east, but better than northing. Due shortly to speak to our experts over here shortly and see what they have in store for their updated model this morning. Could be interesting as they have shown the sinking low scenario for quite a few days now.

C

Cheers,

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

06z just out for an interesting Saturday up North at least.

h500slp.thumb.png.d075302bdb54ac67bf6d5396b69dc4a4.png

uksnowrisk.thumb.png.1a7565d7cce95b0cdfe5c3938139310c.png

ukgust.thumb.png.732ee60d6c884237193cfa5e21498448.png

ukmaxtemp.thumb.png.c2b2d63e2c348d6fa797ea94f0115a2d.png

Winter definately here - its a bit brisk out there today.

See you on the tops? :crazy: 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
7 minutes ago, Paul said:

Seriously, if some people are getting 'offended' (maybe we should coin it faux offence, like we have faux cold?) by Matty7's post, you need to perhaps take a break from the computer because he's not said anything offensive there. Someone giving an opinion which isn't a prediction of the next ice age is also not automatically a case of trolling, and those who think it is, and worse still attempt to publicly call it out as that are more of an issue within the thread than a persons opinion that the models may not be especially reliable beyond a certain stage. 

That said though, a general comment on a hunch about the rest of winter is zero to do with the models, and should have gone into the general winter thread as it's not relevant to this one, so can we move it back to the models now please. 

Thanks. 

Will make sure to post in the correct thread. 

Posted
11 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I think its this, i haven't counted but there is a list here.

Image result for list of ssw

Hard to keep up in here sometimes, but the one that catches my eye is Dec 1981. A cold and snowy December and a cold and snowy January followed and that was with a displacement. Having said that, it was an easterly QBO and occurred earlier in December.

Either way, an SSW throws some variability into the mix and has the potential to completely change an established pattern. If we start with a troposheric vortex that is already a bit weaker than normal, then the impact would, probably, be greater than if you have a strong PV.

Of course, after watching the models for about fifteen years it always seems that a lobe of PV always seems to position itself in just the wrong place! 

Anyway, thanks for the list feb1991blizzard; very informative!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Hard to keep up in here sometimes, but the one that catches my eye is Dec 1981. A cold and snowy December and a cold and snowy January followed and that was with a displacement. Having said that, it was an easterly QBO and occurred earlier in December.

Either way, an SSW throws some variability into the mix and has the potential to completely change an established pattern. If we start with a troposheric vortex that is already a bit weaker than normal, then the impact would, probably, be greater than if you have a strong PV.

Of course, after watching the models for about fifteen years it always seems that a lobe of PV always seems to position itself in just the wrong place! 

Anyway, thanks for the list feb1991blizzard; very informative!

Believe it or not, there are very knowledgeable professionals that actually believe the most dramatic impacts are with a strong PV.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
29 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Those charts have always been confusing to me, too much going on - It's the shaded green part you want to focus on and that's showing zonal winds reversing in the forecast period. 

2053167825_Screenshot2018-12-13at09_42_50.thumb.png.1a5726e52fcc8aa4bc74c4676da945a5.png
All but 3 GEFS members going for a full reversal at the end of the month now, the mean solidly below. It'd be rather surprising if a reversal didn't happen now..

I've had a look back at some previous forecasts through the autumn and actually even the shorter range predictions by GFS have proven to be wholly inaccurate.  For instance November as shown here should have seen a dip in zonal winds according to the models forecast in late October. I think I will stick to listening to the experts and viewing the model you've presented here. Thanks Daniel

Screenshot_20181029-150643_YouTube.jpg

Edited by Kentspur

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Believe it or not, there are very knowledgeable professionals that actually believe the most dramatic impacts are with a strong PV.

Brick in a washing machine.

Posted
9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I guess that makes sense. Leads in to another question (doesn't it always?): Does a split have more impact on a strong PV as opposed to a displacement on a weaker PV

You can tell I work with data right?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
10 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

I guess that makes sense. Leads in to another question (doesn't it always?): Does a split have more impact on a strong PV as opposed to a displacement on a weaker PV

Not sure but you know the compositing site and the Meteociel re-analysis charts - you can use your data assimilation skills to produce a studym TBH though, i dont think once you see the SSW coming into the mid range that its that difficult to see how it will affect the Northern Hemisphere pattern, on this occasion i do feel we could do with a split afterwards if we are to have a really favourable January, im just waiting though for the next weeks worth of runs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Low heights almost completely gone from Greenland on the 06z GFS run as high pressure gradually begins to build in the area

gfsnh-0-192.thumb.png.efd1a0b2442a8e4302cdfd4c126d4b64.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Here's an 'interesting' (well I think so!) observation, from Feb's list of SSWs: the initial onset of cold weather, in the winters of '63, '79, '96 and Dec. 2010, was not preceded by a SSW. (Excuse me if I've got any wrong, as I'm often cross-eyed, first thing!)

So, with this year's positive signals and a SSW - we really ought to be very, very hopeful!:cold:

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Low heights almost completely gone from Greenland on the 06z GFS run as high pressure gradually begins to build in the area

gfsnh-0-192.thumb.png.efd1a0b2442a8e4302cdfd4c126d4b64.png

Thanks Dan im at work so dont have time to watch the run:-)

Posted

image.thumb.png.47211b83a8ce3d25b27b3b01cceb119c.png

head to the Med for a white Christmas and T shirt weather for us!

Edit: Pretty horrendous 6z Ops run to be honest. Low pressure in the Atlantic dominating from start to finish, a couple of brief attempts at ridging blown away.

On 12/12/2018 at 08:48, Catacol said:

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Hardly T shirt weather quit chilly for most

9AC6D291-5C18-4F37-8701-0A84643F996F.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, ICE COLD said:

Hardly T shirt weather quit chilly for most

9AC6D291-5C18-4F37-8701-0A84643F996F.png

My comments were intended to be tongue in cheek as GB & Ireland are in a South Westerly draw where as the Med has North Easterlies. Also, the time on your screen grab is 6pm, I would suggest maximums of 13 or 14 degrees in some parts at around 3pm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

My comments were intended to be tongue in cheek as GB & Ireland are in a South Westerly draw where as the Med has North Easterlies. Also, the time on your screen grab is 6pm, I would suggest maximums of 13 or 14 degrees in some parts at around 3pm.

No that’s max temp up until 6pm 

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Edit: Pretty horrendous 6z Ops run to be honest. Low pressure in the Atlantic dominating from start to finish, a couple of brief attempts at ridging blown away.

Looks cold Xmas day to me 

gfsnh-1-288[1].png

• Like 6