Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic but that's the complete opposite of "flat"

he is of course being sarcastic in his reply to myself, its blocked to the NE, but part of the problem has been the energy in the Atlantic jet

which as he has said himself numerous times is why the block will not hold..

Anyway, there are ways of debating without resorting to sarcasm - so with that in mind i will refrain from further discussion..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

he is of course being sarcastic in his reply to myself, its blocked to the NE, but part of the problem has been the energy in the Atlantic jet

which as he has said himself numerous times is why the block will not hold..

But it's not consistently flat thou. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Morning all. Thought you might like these pictures taken in the village last night. 50cm snowfall ! Interesting charts from the models this morning with a bit of a colder upgrade. Looking at the UKMO fax chart , a cold block still in place for Friday with little progress of the front out of Ireland. Think Saturday could be an interest day as the fronts start to push into the cold air ( transient snow for quite a few ) if the current model outputs hold but I think beyond 96 t I-144t is open to uncertainty. Should get an update later from over here as regards to the colder spell to evolve in the 10-15 days ( as indicated in the above post ). 

47679655_10157028413123628_5730097477990744064_o.jpg

47682820_10157028416813628_4933075994530545664_o.jpg

You do realise that when you post pics like that, the background of the page glows green over here with the collective envy?

• Like 9

Posted
11 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

But it's not consistently flat thou. 

No problem, lets move on.

BBC RAW goes for a good few hours of heavy snow for you, get that alarm clock primed

SAT morning obvs..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
25 minutes ago, Purga said:

Christmas cheer...

image.thumb.png.543604c5135ef538860c578825e9cb77.png

Just a bit of fun but compare...

image.thumb.png.8dfd3a16df6e3e35af3a9f17c75117c7.pngimage.thumb.png.ef6c469fccc9045d0a8f66bed6db19fe.png

Just sayin...

Ar dude, such a mouth-drooling chart at the end of that GFS run this morning!  Wish this was for tomorrow and that it maintained itself throughout Christmas lol. And into January and into February and into March. 

12 minutes ago, Dennis said:

AO forecast

ao.mrf.gif

Not bad. I suppose a chance there for the Arctic Oscillation to go into negative territory, should that end up being close to what could happen. (and then hopefully a negative non-Western based NAO and/or more stable Scandinavian block to go with it). 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Typing error changing Amen to And
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
33 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

EC46 isn't very inspiring. 

The theme for the 4 week run is generally one of unsettled and milder weather, low pressure dominating. There's a few transient blocking events (one notable around the xmas period, similar to the GFS 00z actually) which bring short cold snaps but nothing prolonged suggested from the model.

Though, given MJO returning to the Indian Ocean and developments in the Stratosphere late Dec I'd suggest weeks 3/4 to be taken with a huge pinch of salt, even week 2 could prove to be fairly inaccurate should blocking materialise around Christmas more than the models are currently suggesting (seems possible) 

Quick sneak look at the EPS NAO/AO predictions

NAO.thumb.png.297d7ff785757f7ed876b948d6314048.pngAO.thumb.png.8f473e0aeaa6d44c289704366c42b600.png

I've seen worse..

How  reliable is ec46 thank you .

Posted

^^

Thats the million dollar question, it has had good times, and bad.

No model is perfect at such ranges, i think we need to hear from Blue etc.

I'm hopeful we will see changes come the festive period but in truth, i don't think anyone really knows just yet..

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
15 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

How  reliable is ec46 thank you .

Out to week 2 it's usually fairly reliable, 3 and 4 can be a little bit hit and miss though it's worth noting that at the beginning of November the week 4 chart picked up the Scandi blocking we saw at the end of November. 

Usual caveats apply to any chart at that range though, of course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Now up to 8/21 GEFS members going for a technical SSW, and the mean looks like it would hit the line in another day or so:

u_60N_10hpa_gefs.thumb.png.f2e164cad466656aa698e0ab2751db70.png

I think we can say the displacement SSW will now happen but what next, will we get the split?

At the very least the above charts showing zonal winds on a downwards curve from around the 15th, won't do any harm thats for sure!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
43 minutes ago, jethro said:

You do realise that when you post pics like that, the background of the page glows green over here with the collective envy?

Looks like Somerset last winter when the beast arrived!

Made us in the SE green...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

'Haway the Lads :drunk-emoji:

uksnowrisk.thumb.png.fb5f98331fc307acd8d795bd44e83c42.pngnewcastle-brown-ale-550ml.thumb.jpg.df43763d249853b24d72bcfa3d8cb809.jpg 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

ECM & ICON broadly in agreement re: weekend snow risk. Largely a rain event away from Northern hills, perhaps low level snow in the North East for a brief time before it turns back to rain

ECM.thumb.png.5834dfddd120d4e7af420e5a261f4c3c.pngICON.thumb.jpg.3902549272b4fa9fda848aeec2f27879.jpg

ECM certainly ditching the idea of a widespread snow risk this morning

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!
30 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Now up to 8/21 GEFS members going for a technical SSW, and the mean looks like it would hit the line in another day or so:

u_60N_10hpa_gefs.thumb.png.f2e164cad466656aa698e0ab2751db70.png

I think we can say the displacement SSW will now happen but what next, will we get the split?

Morning, do you have a link to this chart, just realised I've been looking at the 65* north version for the last month, which does have the mean going into a reversal, can't seem to find the link for 60* north variant 

On that note, isn't it still a good sign if at 65 degrees north the zonal winds are predicted to reverse?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Friday could squeeze-out a few snow flurries, for the SE and EA?

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
5 minutes ago, North East Blizzard said:

Morning, do you have a link to this chart, just realised I've been looking at the 65* north version for the last month, which does have the mean going into a reversal, can't seem to find the link for 60* north variant 

On that note, isn't it still a good sign if at 65 degrees north the zonal winds are predicted to reverse?

Yes, you just need to load the 65N one and change to 60N in the URL, here's the chart:

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/hattard/realtime/u_60N_10hpa_gefs.png

Yes, still good at 65N - but the 'official' criterion for SSW is at 60N.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Friday could squeeze-out a few snow flurries, for the SE and EA?

Netweather GFS Image

Yes

The GFS moves the pattern or rather the 'continental air mass' further west - however the front still squeezes out the cold air -

However we have on the GFS gone from a straight SSW flow to a direct southerly- still 90 hours to go & every chance of a bit of undercutting- bearing in mind the 00z 72 had -2c uppers in London, now down to -6 on the same timestamp...

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

^^

Thats the million dollar question, it has had good times, and bad.

No model is perfect at such ranges, i think we need to hear from Blue etc.

I'm hopeful we will see changes come the festive period but in truth, i don't think anyone really knows just yet..

Ec46 promises stuff post mid jan (again) and possibly a little later than that - that’s the mean - there will be clusters which deliver sooner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2