Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, Snowman. said:

Get the block in place and the cold will follow...

Yes, sure to that, but I think some are getting overexcited by a GFS run in later stages that looked (to me anyway) suspect earlier. Time will tell, night all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
Just now, CreweCold said:

Well your bet would be where mine is placed too for what it's worth.

Unusual synoptics in the offing so we can't really find similar analogue years. 

I get that feeling the SSW event or two, will eventually split the PV and then weaken it. The Jetstream will buckle allowing initially a very cold Nly blast to a Scandi High bringing in an Easterly.  The Atlantic once buckled will struggle to ramp up again 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
4 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

It can but we need a strong Scandi high in the process to hold off any Atlantic charge, unless we can get rid of the cold in the NW North Atlantic.

A Greenland block will do the same thing. And with that low dropping into eastern europe with very cold uppers it wouldn't take long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
14 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Hmm. 26th of December.

Somewhere GP is looking smug.

gfsnh-0-384_trs5.png

Matt am i missing something wouldn't that chart be bad for the uk as theres no cold to tap into. Yh the vortex is shredded to pieces but to me it looks like we would just get a coldish high. All hyperthetical off course. But dont we want to see part of the vortex lope in Europe so we have true cold to tap into.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
4 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

A Greenland block will do the same thing. And with that low dropping into eastern europe with very cold uppers it wouldn't take long.

It's a cold based Greenland high though, would likely lead to a west based -NAO, I don't see the hype in the T384 chart unfortunately..

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, snowangel32 said:

Matt am i missing something wouldn't that chart be bad for the uk as theres no cold to tap into. Yh the vortex is shredded to pieces but to me it looks like we would just get a coldish high. All hyperthetical off course. But dont we want to see part of the vortex lope in Europe so we have true cold to tap into.

Would mean a much weaker jet, a great chance of blocking establishing to our north and significant cold spilling down into the mid latitudes. Depends on where exactly blocking setups but there would be a very good chance of significant cold to our shores further down the line.

Meanwhile, strong warming at the 1hpa level right over the UK.

5F8E715D-C03B-4650-8858-BCE6B9EEB7DA.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
Just now, Quicksilver1989 said:

It's a cold based Greenland high though, would likely lead to a west based -NAO, I don't see the hype in the T384 chart unfortunately..

Can't be a west -NAO if there is a chunk of the vortex there.

But it's a lot of speculation off a chart at D16 so not worth taking much on however the vortex looks truly shattered.

Posted

Not really concerned with where exactly the areas of high pressure and lobes of the PV are on that chart as detail like that will change a hundred times. 

Just encoraged by the fact that the strong strat warming continues to show and to not be getting pushed further back, and the fact that the potential for the PV to be severely disrupted and even split is shown. Doesn’t mean it will happen or will happen in a way that is favourable for us but it is encouraging to see the potential for something that at least increases our chances of cold. Especially as it is all along the lines of what the most knowledgeable posters have been saying for some time.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

As other have said, it’s not so much what the last few charts of the 18z show for the UK, it’s more what it shows on the hemisphere view and what effect/forcing this pattern will have on the vortex. 

All in good time from there then hopefully....

a few gefs members also have the alaskan high at the end of their runs.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, bradythemole said:

As other have said, it’s not so much what the last few charts of the 18z show for the UK, it’s more what it shows on the hemisphere view and what effect/forcing this pattern will have on the vortex. 

All in good time from there then hopefully....

a few gefs members also have the alaskan high at the end of their runs.

I guess this Alaskan high is a key ingredient for cold fans?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

I guess this Alaskan high is a key ingredient for cold fans?

Yes as you want the SSW to become a split wave 2 SSW, so you need a ridge opposite the scandi ridge (hemispherically) in order to split the vortex.

• Thanks 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, weirpig said:

In the mid term  if the para is correct  the country will be suffering a timber shortage  as many folk rush to build an ark  copious amounts of the wet stuff 

Looks like it likes dart board lows as much as it’s predecessor.

D062F3F5-8E1D-4CF5-BEE5-A9DB88436CDB.png

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Looks like it likes dart board lows as much as it’s predecessor.

gfsnh-0-210_snx8.png

Don't know how you've linked that image but it ain't showing on my phone 

Screenshot_20181210-235340.thumb.png.8efa8b1604606c0265e4f1cd0926288c.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Don't know how you've linked that image but it ain't showing on my phone 

Screenshot_20181210-235340.thumb.png.8efa8b1604606c0265e4f1cd0926288c.png

Its showing on the computer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

@Summer Sun This is the image he posted. 

Capture.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Impressive NH profile but the cold air is falling in all the wrong places for the UK. UK is under mild southerlies and a deep cold pool falling over NE Canada. The Atlantic would fire up again unless that Scandi high strengthened. I'd rather see a poor NH profile and a really good setup for cold in the UK then a good NH profile and a setup that doesn't deliver.

Nevertheless its a long distance a way and any signal for blocking is better then nothing.

not necessarily if the block can break through to Greenland all that energy will be pushed south of the UK..THEN BINGO

• Like 4

Posted

Gee wizz 'up and down in here yesterday going by the posters , are we on a cusp of a Cold spell or not . Seems like many see the colours of a computer and go by what it shows , Me 'I sit back and laugh at all the banter in here .Cold spell is coming and it will prevail 2 days before Crimbo Eve

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
15 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

Gee wizz 'up and down in here yesterday going by the posters , are we on a cusp of a Cold spell or not . Seems like many see the colours of a computer and go by what it shows , Me 'I sit back and laugh at all the banter in here .Cold spell is coming and it will prevail 2 days before Crimbo Eve

Looks like 22 Dec onwards could well get interesting. Best chances for anything prolonged seem after New Year. That seems to be the general idea 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters

ICON being a filthy tease with this chart:

iconeu_uk1-1-117-0.png?11-04

Maybe giving us a few flakes before the fun really begins around xmas/new year

Edited by CanadaAl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
9 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Morning.still very interesting nhp on the run in to Xmas.the pushing and pulling of the atmosphere gives the opportunity for wedges and areas of heights to pop up almost anywhere imo.know idea why NW is there lol

Edited by swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looks to me reading over last few pages that too much onus is been put on this ssw. Judan Cohen has looked at a few ssw events for Western Europe and only 1/7 has resulted in colder weather for Western Europe. Anyway back to the models looks like the Atlantic comes in this weekend with maybe some brief spell of snow for the highest hills in the north. Apart from that keeping feet firmly on the ground. Because this ssw certainly isn’t guaranteed to bring us colder weather. We could very easily end up on the wrong side of any blocking. Which would be just our luck. 

• Like 4