Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
3 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Im not so sure, preparing for the backtracks here..... surely its delaying the inevitable mild winning, for the time being

I agree that in our neck of the woods (UK & Ireland) mild tends to win out, however the northern hemispheric pattern and the block slowly strengthening to our east would suggest the usual trends are being pushed further back... But anything could happen as it stands today.

Edited by P-M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

But they dont suddenly flip from all showing average uppers to all showing bitter uppers within the 144-168 range like some people would have you believe, it just doen't happen, yes this is a one off snowy battleground we are talking about so its not very cold uppers dependent, it is dependent on a low being a 100 miles further West and dewpoints / temps being a degree or so lower so Daniel does have a point on this one, but make no mistake about this, if anyone is thinking that the mean is so wrong that within 10-12 days we are gong to be in a continental long lasting cold feed, think again.

They flipped massively back in November.. the entire GFS ensemble suite was showing below average temperatures for an entire run, 2 runs later a majority was above average. 

It does happen. It happened quite remarkably in 2010 with the sudden flip to cold, too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

But they dont suddenly flip from all showing average uppers to all showing bitter uppers within the 144-168 range like some people would have you believe, it just doen't happen, yes this is a one off snowy battleground we are talking about so its not very cold uppers dependent, it is dependent on a low being a 100 miles further West and dewpoints / temps being a degree or so lower so Daniel does have a point on this one, but make no mistake about this, if anyone is thinking that the mean is so wrong that within 10-12 days we are gong to be in a continental long lasting cold feed, think again.

Oh I completely agree. I've NEVER, repeat NEVER seen an average suite upgrade to wintry nirvana within 1-2 runs in the near/medium term. I have seen it many a times the opposite way though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Daniel Smith said:

They flipped massively back in November.. the entire GFS ensemble suite was showing below average temperatures for an entire run, 2 runs later a majority was above average. 

It does happen. It happened quite remarkably in 2010 with the sudden flip to cold, too.

Not whole suites flipping to cold in 144 or 168, i can guarantee that in 2010, there would have been either a majority cluster or a very significant minority cluster at D10, and im pretty sure it would have been signalled to a lesser degree all the way from 384.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Crewe and Daniel

Take this suite now - if we were going to get a cold Easterly within 168, probably up to 240, i can cast iron guarantee that on this graph, there would be at the very minimum some stragglers and probably a decent sized cluster showing cold uppers - this graph, is a definitive 'no chance of a very cold Easterly' within 168 and almost certainly within 240 suite.

Diagramme GEFS

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

Way things have gone, the UKMO and ECM are quite different at 144h so its bound to change... The UKMO has more of a shallow low so banking on that one!

Edited by Dave Kightley
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Crewe and Daniel

Take this suite now - if we were going to get a cold Easterly within 168, probably up to 240, i can cast iron guarantee that on this graph, there would be at the very minimum some stragglers and probably a decent sized cluster showing cold uppers - this graph, is a definitive 'no chance of a very cold Easterly' within 168 and almost certainly within 240 suite.

Diagramme GEFS

Feb, you're pretty much saying what I'm saying 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
2 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Good to see the block being more influential as expected.  Going to feel pretty cold next week thus we see the cold pattern now start to crank itself up.  NH pattern has been primed for a while.....maybe it will now share itself with us ver the coming weeks.  I do think though folks, don’t get hung up on it holding and producing a big easterly as Atlantic.  It’ll never be far away though so don’t be concerned either for any mild zoneality.  I’m very interested in deep FI.....look for LP to plunge south towards/at  Xmas to bring bitter cold for around the big day....GFS sniffing at this with several runs now.  The blocking in the hemisphere won’t allow the west to east passage so a southward plunge anticipated.....could be a trigger low.  Just some musings of my way forward.  

BFTP

You're right, we'd be looking at 5 day of Atlantic max before mid Atlantic blocking primes itself for the big day. Certainly a lot of tasty synoptics, even if this easterly doesn't deliver. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
23 minutes ago, Banbury said:

That's your location, I've seen some cracking snowfalls from a 'battleground event'

I've seen them too. But many more fail than come-off. And that's including 21 years spent in the Scottish Highlands!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Great 850s moving across on the ECM 96

Do you think cold / snow risk will last until this time next week and beyond ? 

Edited by Paul
Removed image from quote
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Oh I completely agree. I've NEVER, repeat NEVER seen an average suite upgrade to wintry nirvana within 1-2 runs in the near/medium term. I have seen it many a times the opposite way though.

Yes it's very rare indeed, maybe a good sign of things to come this winter.

After all, this will be our second easterly in under a month. Its going to feel very cold with or without snowfall next week, I'm thinking that snow flurries and pellets will likely be turning up after mid week, and still a good chance of more of a battleground and snow for Saturday before the milder air comes through....or should I say IF.:oldgrin:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
12 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Didn’t Matt Hugo say he thought mild / Atlantic would win out by end of the week? This is what ECM shows ? Do you think cold / snow risk will last until this time next week and beyond ? 

Tim, this week has only been about a battleground scenario not a full blown Easterly.

Edit: And Matt said forget about this week to be precise.

Edited by Stuie W

11 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Didn’t Matt Hugo say he thought mild / Atlantic would win out by end of the week? This is what ECM shows ? Do you think cold / snow risk will last until this time next week and beyond ? 

No - it was pretty much dismiss any thought of cold...

Anyway seeing as how the mods have deemed it to extreme in terms of banter then lets leave it there-

The first Low is going to disrupt with the prospect of snow - the second one appears on course to with the UKMO - lets see how ECM progresses next 24-36 hours -

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Don't know. From looking across the model suites tonight though I cannot find a single chart anywhere that has us in a cold easterly by 168. That includes GFS, GEFS, NAVGEM, JMA, ECM, GEM and GEM ensemble suite. On that basis he may well still be proved right.

I think this may be one of those situations where the destination is pretty much set but the route is still open to change. No doubt we have seen short term upgrades (snow for some lucky peeps this week) but nothing to suggest any longer term improvements. Indeed, from Retron's post on TWO we can almost certainly add MOGREPS to the above list in that it seems to be showing colder in the short term but nothing much of interest thereafter. Could still change of course.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm struggling to remember which model is the bee knees and which one is the fly-in-the-ointment: it's as if the 'rankings' change as often as the 'word of God'!:help:

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Tim, this week has only been about a battleground scenario not a full blown Easterly.

Edit: And Matt said forget about this week to be precise.

Fair enough. I thought he meant forget about the prospect of the block holding and any proper cold and snow this week. Still looks like cold and dry followed by some snow then rain to end the week. Much more interested in what happens towards Xmas personally 

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Indeed  actually he implied that watching the minus 5 line trying to progress across the UK was funny as it's a done deal that milder uppers will encroach the UK   well the minus 5 has encroached the UK  on the ecm at least and pushed the Atlantic back  for however long  his recent tweet as somewhat backed down on his previous assumption 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
Just now, Tim Bland said:

Fair enough. I thought he meant forget about the prospect of the block holding and any proper cold and snow this week. Still looks like cold and dry followed by some snow then rain to end the week. Much more interested in what happens towards Xmas personally 

No worries and yes I am in the bigger picture camp too but heck I have been hoping for this battleground thing for days.

• Like 1