Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

Indeed Frosty, something exciting seems to be in the air for coldies coming up, 12z could be a mega run, fingers very crossed!

It's been a case of early Christmas drinks here too, last night and again today, an early Merry WHITE Christmas to every one, only 2 weeks to go. hic....

Indeed snowray, I'm using my instinct here..the models just don't look like delivering the usual default mild cr*p we are so used to..I wouldn't even be posting if I didn't think coldies are in the game for something before crimbo!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

You can't discount one model but the GFS is normally the least accurate of the main models in such setups.It almost always blows up low pressure systems too much and blows away blocking high pressure too quickly. Doesn't necessarily mean it is wrong this time but one would have more faith in the other models in this setup.

Steve's post didn't to me read like he was completely discounting the GFS output anyway.

....but it all depends what it's showing.....over the past week or two, we've gone through the whole model ensemble of 'crapness'.......yes, each model has had it's turn of being 'unflavour of the month'.....according to material posted in this thread, the GF,S, ECM, UKMO, ICON, et al are all utter failures at various stages and their designers should've been on the 'virtual pill' to stop these model monstrosities from ever have been conceived.....Ok, a little OTT but then again OTT is the bedrock of a good chunk of stuff posted here to be fair......A jolly good ramp is good from time to time as long as it's infused with a dose of realism.............I'm in a grumpy mood, so I'm going to open the gin bottle to lift my spirits (the runs for next week sadly don't inspire much confidence of the white stuff for my locale, I really need to move....lol)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
9 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Indeed snowray, I'm using my instinct here..the models just don't look like delivering the usual default mild cr*p we are so used to..I wouldn't even be posting if I didn't think coldies are in the game for something before crimbo!

I'm right with you there, Karl - it's the very fact that the models are not showing what they usually show - on average over a considerable period of time - at this time of year, that is reinforcing my expectations as well as the more scientific drivers.  Was the same in the late spring, my view was - something different here, so, what haven't we had for a while, oh yes a hot summer, maybe that's what the signal was - and it was as it turned out.

Whether it will happen before Christmas, less sure, but from the model output at the moment, it's certainly on the table.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
20 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

That should give us two days of sleet darn sarf 

I'm still waiting for my first slett here, happy days. Going to build in igloo for my pets for Christmas, you can bring your goats and donkeys too if you like.:santa-emoji::oldgood::drunk-emoji:

This is all snow for us.☺️

ECM0-96.gif

ECM0-120-1.gif

ECM0-144.gif

Edited by snowray
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Frosty. said:

Cheers mike, you have been brilliant this year, hats off to you..yes, the models thankfully look interesting for us coldies in the run up to crimbo..and beyond hopefully.

Agreed. Mike has definitely been the standout commenter for me this year! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
2 hours ago, jules216 said:

Then in  around  2 weeks time we see another pulse of stratospheric warming around eastern Siberia moving the core of polar vortex at 10hPa to Greenland/Iceland area(picture.2).  In the same time we see on the hemispheric view of 500mb height anomalies that the core of tropospheric polar vortex is moving in the same direction - towards Greenland(picture.3)

Am I making a false assumption of atmosphere in thinking that these stratospheric warmings are doing us no favors at all on short to medium term?

Currently there is indeed a Siberian warming forecast at the outer edges of modelling - and in "normal" times transferring the vortex back over to the Canadian side would potentially whip up a +NAO pattern if there was a clear strat/trop connect. But the question is - just how much of a vortex is going to be left standing by this stage and is it possible that the Siberian punch does more damage than simply shift it? By the time that punch comes it may be ripe for take down....And even if it doesn't disintegrate that Siberian punch might send it a long way over to the west in its weakened state, allowing blocking to continue as per pacific forcing and an enhanced southerly jet and undercut. 

To be honest - this is all just speculation. We are still too far out. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I just hope that this month's (should it happen) SSW has a similar outcome to that of December 1984: a winter to remember!!:santa-emoji:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 5

Posted

Icon12z!!90 hours and looks more like ecm with trough disrupting!!!slowly but surely maybe!

That scandi high is further west at 102 hours and stronger!!!

Edited by shaky
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
46 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Well its a good omen Frosy that you are posing again, I was wondering where you had gone. I must say, I do often think that I need a new hobby for the winter months, something, erm, a bit more constructive, like pottery, or model train sets. But here I am back every year for more torture.:crazy:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

I just hope that this month's (should it happen) SSW has a similar effect to that of December 1984: a winter to remember!!:santa-emoji:

Indeed so Ed  I had something like seven seperate  worthwhile snowfalls that winter even here in lowland Dorset.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
25 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Currently there is indeed a Siberian warming forecast at the outer edges of modelling - and in "normal" times transferring the vortex back over to the Canadian side would potentially whip up a +NAO pattern if there was a clear strat/trop connect. But the question is - just how much of a vortex is going to be left standing by this stage and is it possible that the Siberian punch does more damage than simply shift it? By the time that punch comes it may be ripe for take down....And even if it doesn't disintegrate that Siberian punch might send it a long way over to the west in its weakened state, allowing blocking to continue as per pacific forcing and an enhanced southerly jet and undercut. 

To be honest - this is all just speculation. We are still too far out. 

@Catacol maybe we can say that it is high risk high reward situation? If warming is strong enough and we get SSW then vortex is dead and it doesnt matter that it relocated towards Greenland. But if vortex proves more durable we may get a -EPO pattern with cold eastern USA and not sufficient undercut which will then advect more euro high situation as residual vortex around Greenland will not allow retrograding pattern and instead of highs around GIN corridor we end up with Sceuro high? 

Edited by jules216

Posted
5 minutes ago, shaky said:

Icon12z!!90 hours and looks more like ecm with trough disrupting!!!slowly but surely maybe!

That scandi high is further west at 102 hours and stronger!!!

Looks like EC to me too mate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It looks like it’s about to open a pathway for those Atlantic systems to slide on a NW/SE run, that would really bring this place alive. Most probably won’t though, as I’ve seen similar set ups over last few days and none have done it.... Yet!

Posted

Quiet on here considering the massive 12z runs that are about to come out that are going to exterminate the mild dross to smithereens! ICON already has shown us how quickly things are changing with cold upgrading and a decent undercut. 

FI once again is at +T96! :oldgrin:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

A pleasant surprise too see an upgrade from the ICON, but the precip charts still forecast only rain.

iconeu_uk1-1-96-0.png

Posted
10 minutes ago, snowray said:

Quiet on here considering the massive 12z runs that are about to come out that are going to exterminate the mild dross to smithereens! ICON already has shown us how quickly things are changing with cold upgrading and a decent undercut. 

FI once again is at +T96! 

I believe they should start shortly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

We can see from the jet, the problem we have in keeping the Atlantic at bay, and why the ICON blows the block away on the 12z from Friday:

tempresult_kon9.thumb.gif.6919729cdf4d76b23141ff9dde0d635e.gif

Unless the jet is currently being overemphasized it will tough to expect the block pushing west.

• Like 1

Posted

Atlantic fronts being pushed back again as early at T48 on the gfs 12z, nice.

12z V 06z.

gfs-0-48.png

gfs-0-54.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

A816AB5D-BA6E-495E-AADB-F9938B77FD72.thumb.gif.89b2ed980a1e931e3b312082f0ac2088.gif

Block looks more robust next Thursday from UKMO 96hrs

• Like 1