Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

I would say that the ensemble mean chart from ECM at T144 is supportive of the increased strength of the block, with a considerable number of members sending energy SE:

image.thumb.jpg.6793b60fa6c8edfebc7ffa5498c945d5.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Of course.. the Atlantic is coming.. the angle of attack is of interest ..

Yes, i just hope for a snow event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

If only it was N/S and not NW/SE...

Edited by Stuie W

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

UKMO extended is out would be interesting to see what the 850's are with that precipitation over the UK

ukm2.2018121412_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.a6b538433abea42f9ec430384f9c70a4.png

Hmmmm  the second beast of a low i mentioned earlier looks the killer unfortunately..

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes, it is mean chart of 51 runs, until we see the clusters, we need to imagine what it might be the mean of, and the angle is significant.  On average we would expect the Atlantic to win?

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, i just hope for a snow event.

Well, after the ECM you could say the clear winner was returned with a hotdog return to save the point... (not sure why I used a tennis analogy)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Been busy doing other stuff. Come back and check ECM and find this. Lovely run. The cold air just comes in and stays until day 10 for Central Europe. 

tempresult_qsk9.gif

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

When we start hearing rumours of a mysterious Cornishman buying-up all the red crayons, in all the village shops, will be when we need to start worrying?

In the mean time, the week between Xmas and New year looks like a good bet...

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Hard to see as im at work and being a bit naughty but EC mean looks better than the 00z mean..

Comparing with 06/12 12z mean, it is a slight improvement. Clusters will show more obviously

.EDH1-168.GIF.thumb.png.00290957948c6621b285da99266f1920.pngEDH1-168.GIF.thumb.png.00290957948c6621b285da99266f1920.png

A subtle 'blink and you'll miss it' new appetite for a very small height rise over central Greenland emerging from across the 12z suite as well at around D7 as energy separates better. This has probably helped steer the slight pattern improvement.

May fill in by the 18z / 00z or may expand further, who knows!

EDH1-144.GIF.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, Singularity said:

The models are currently very keen to take the atmospheric state into a temporary Nina-like condition next week with a broad N. Atlantic trough and rising heights through Europe being the general response. However, with the El Nino event now well connected to the atmosphere this isn't likely to take place in reality, and while the models continue to insist otherwise in the longer-term - just look at ECM days 9-10 and how awkwardly it suddenly changes track - there comes a point at which the reality of observation data forces them to make adjustments toward lower Euro heights and a less broad, more disrupted N. Atlantic trough.

I still feel that it's going to be a big ask to get the overall battleground line wholly west of the UK, but I'm less resigned to it staying just out of reach to the east next week as I was this morning; the fight back by the blocking highs during the second half might have enough to it after all (to produce at least one appreciably-sized snow event in the UK... somewhere! Eastern parts having the better chance as things currently look).

Regardless, there remains good teleconnection support for that blocking high to make a move toward Greenland (but at how high a latitude, it's unclear) by early the following week but at the moment, the models are still turning things too Nina-like for that to be depicted properly (this being why you see some runs going with mid-Atlantic ridges instead; these are the most Nina-like). A really interesting question going forward is then whether that stage of high-latitude blocking sticks around long enough to merge with the impacts of a major SSW... presuming that does occur. I expect that'll be the main deciding factor in what manner of weather we experience during the festive week this year. Seeing a very wide range of possibilities for that one!

A fascinating read, as always, S...But I feel I must ask a simple question: how can the models 'know' when to produce a Nino-like atmospheric pattern? Or is this a simple coincidence?

Or ought I just keep taking the s!:help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening All!! Next week battle ? Will it happen, Perhaps it will , perhaps it wont, perhaps stuck in the middle with you..! The age old battle continues , its very early winter, but with these Synoptics  expect anything....very interesting!

you.png

youx.png

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

Here's the 12Z GEFS ensemble: GEFS Ensembles Chart

Nae much help, is it?

Take a look at those blue straddlers goin for the -10 mark!!imagine if the 18z goes for one of those this thread will be buzzing!!

• Like 2

Posted

The trend continues it seems! Block stronger on the ICON 18z, only goes out to T120, but here it's further west than on the 12z, here 18z first then 12z at same time

image.thumb.jpg.44c569ebfb61cd37ed9c43f1237ba2e8.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.cb6a129848c9acd7186985f1211b21fb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1