Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

One thing we no is that the models will not be showing what they are now for net week come Sunday so plenty of time for westward corrections or not? I find quite often when we have good charts for like the following week there always seems to be a few days where they start to look crap before they slowly start to upgrade nearer the time. 

You just never no still plenty of time left yet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I'm still of the opinion looking at the big picture that a pressure rise from the nw is the route to a blocked outlook and eventually colder spell of weather.usual caveats apply but the nhp looks to be breaking the PV from the west.granted the forcing from the Atlantic is building pressure to the north east but I think the current easterly Chase may be a bit of an ask .also the jet on a se profile looks the way forward imo

Edited by swfc
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
27 minutes ago, swfc said:

I'm still of the opinion looking at the big picture that a pressure rise from the nw is the route to a blocked outlook and eventually colder spell of weather.usual caveats apply but the nhp looks to be breaking the PV from the west.granted the forcing from the Atlantic is building pressure to the north east but I think the current easterly Chase may be a bit of an ask .also the jet on a se profile looks the way forward imo

Yes, that's what my money has been on for a couple of days now.  Several runs have shown this.  The main interest in future runs re the shorter term is not whether the Scandi high will hold on for ages, just whether it will hold on long enough for a battleground snow scenario as the Atlantic system pushes across us.  That's knife edge but underdog for the moment, especially for the south, but who knows how that might change in the next day or so.  Thereafter that potential for height rises to the NW is relevant.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The old reverse psychology delivers again! 

You`ll never manage that again...

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

I will admit I had a look earlier but knocker was being rude about this thread so i decided not to bother

Welcome back from the dark (mild) side!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
10 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Im not going to concern myself with EC day 10 when 96-144 is fluid..

I wouldn’t all models are struggling with day 6 more changes to come.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
20 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Not a bad widespread snow maker good ol’ M4 to rescue.... 

87D211C6-974E-4C8D-A1D6-AF58D7BA1340.thumb.png.85e83f7003eda1a98e70141d2e790bba.png

@northwestsnow

got to love living in the North West looking at that chart eh 

Posted

So.. now we have to wait and see how day 5 plays out wrt energy distribution

UKMO still the pick for me at 144 which is a positive because every man and his dog inc EC had virtually all the energy going NE..

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

UKMO still the pick for me at 144 which is a positive because every man and his dog inc EC had virtually all the energy going NE..

Mate barr the ukmo.pretty much all the models this morning had energy a lot flatter!!its been close to a sensational turnaround this evening!!could easily go back to square one in the morning!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
19 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, that's what my money has been on for a couple of days now.  Several runs have shown this.  The main interest in future runs re the shorter term I s not whether the Scandi high will hold on for ages, just whether it will hold on long enough for a battleground snow scenario as the Atlantic system pushes across us.  That's knife edge but underdog for the moment, especially for the south, but who knows how that might change in the next day or so.  Then that potential for height rises to the NW is relevant.

Yes maybe a  stalling front or a slider "slider gate again"which I introduced is a possibility.would probably be transient tho given the forcing from the west.the UK could be stuck in a very slack flow if the western blocking pics up and the block to the east remains firm.better 850s would make for a strange combo if it varified.im sensing a ukmo-easterly gate creaping in ATM tho!!!  

Edited by swfc
  • Like 4

Posted

Thinking about the Scandi HP, to shift the block easily would mean the secondary block to give way also. IMO this isn`t a zonal push over.

ECH1-192.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
Just now, northwestsnow said:

If the 18z is good, it could be a sleepless night.

Whats that saying.

The show isn't over until the fat ladies had a strepsil.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

If you look carefully at the 00z run, it was very odd in the central Atlantic and didn’t repeat on the 12z 

the disruption we now see at day 6 showed on  the day 7 chart @carinthian posted so we must indeed give it kudos for placing the trough disruption where it did

plenty of gefs members were playing with this solution though 

lets see where gfsp goes later on this  ..... the eps control has been messing around with these runners in the base of the trough so no surprise on that theme 

Well TBF Exeter have included the 'lots of uncertainty ' proviso today so i guess the pros are not entitely sure how this will play out..

Fascinating viewing and a much better evening for coldies..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
31 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

One thing we no is that the models will not be showing what they are now for net week come Sunday so plenty of time for westward corrections or not? I find quite often when we have good charts for like the following week there always seems to be a few days where they start to look crap before they slowly start to upgrade nearer the time. 

You just never no still plenty of time left yet

I notice that GP has been very quiet, maybe I have missed his posts, been Christmas shopping today.☺️

Anyway, a few days ago he said that it will appear that the Atlantic has victory but the Scandi high will push back west and then we must look towards the Atlantic or Scandi for HP to build later in December. Thats the impression I got from his posts, I could be wrong though, it's pretty technical stuff at times.

• Like 5

Posted

Had another little draw with the ECM, albeit 216 but it`s a very plausible evolution, the cold is just shunted and the only way to go appears this way.

I don`t know if this is good or bad but to see the US with very little is something you can`t say very often at this time of the year.

ECH0-216.png

Pretty strong JS but it`s blocked off to go into southern Europe which could be a good indication this Sceuro block isn`t going anywhere fast.

gfs-5-216.png

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, after what seems like page after page of burgeoning excitement, I view the 12Z Para and find this:

Netweather GFS Image

And then this:

Netweather GFS Image

And, lastly, this, which I think looks interesting:

Netweather GFS Image

But, overall, I'm still minded towards a rather cold and unsettled run-up to Xmas...New Year? Who knows...But the omens look good, to me...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
6 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Hi

I think I said over this last 4-5 days I was expecting to see the energy transfer SE- & despite run after run of that not being shown ( plus some mild panicking from this winters usual culprits ) - suddenly today we are on the cusp again

What the UKMO looks like today @144 is exactly what I said & proposed would happen

* BUT * the finer detail on how things actually slide & happen have big impacts on snow or rain-

Heres the zoomed in UKMO 144 & ECM 144

I have reviewed the thicknesses - the scaling is different on UKMO & ECM but they work out the same - both are hitting around 540 DAM which just about supports a marginal snow event- ( no 850-1000 Thickness yet )

2C18238E-8F4C-405E-9D47-464D23DEE5E1.thumb.jpeg.a210b55414741d9af72eb8e9228b7f16.jpeg702804B5-67B7-4B84-B338-02AC520D2470.thumb.jpeg.6e884e7d90dbb868f1c4cff4e7da29eb.jpeg

Remember Colours different but thet are actually identical charts !! ECM is just a bit more progressive in the south with feeding through atlantic air -

As as result south of M4 is to warm-

Projected frontal snow chart is below*

UKMO again is ok, marginal & ive annotated the ideal flow as opposed to the marginal one-

Hope that helps

S

2F04E356-E217-43DA-9A81-108E5EB3E369.thumb.png.51e0be5cb81f96152ffff6f957116a93.png

You need to go a little further west with Nicks crayons.