Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Well looking at ukmo high pressure to north east looks like putting up a fight with low pressure going south east in to Europe John Hammond also saying block could be stronger next week I’m going say gfs ecm will fall in line later with scandi high flexing its muscles..

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Well looking at ukmo high pressure to north east looks like putting up a fight with low pressure going south east in to Europe John Hammond also saying block could be stronger next week I’m going say gfs ecm will fall in line later with scandi high flexing its muscles..

Lets where the 06z gfs takes us then!you would think if the scandi high is gona start flexing its muscles it needs to do it on the gfs 06z or on the evening run!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
8 minutes ago, booferking said:

There she is the great uk hurricane of 2018..

gfs-0-144 (1).png

That looks amazing!

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Agreed. Things at 6 days away still not sorted out. Scandi block could be more robust than some iterations are showing.

UKMO 144

UN144-21.GIF?07-06

GFS 6z

gfsnh-0-138.png?6

ECM 0Z 144

ECH1-144.GIF?07-12

It's a fine line still and not irreversible at this stage.

Await the 6Z para.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

That looks amazing!

I think the focus of the next 10days needs to be on identifying the details on what could be a potential severe and damaging spell of weather opposed to the white stuff which unfortunately looks only looks transitionary even for only the highest parts of the UK. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

That looks amazing!

Amazingly mild. T850s rising with every run. The average for Edinburgh is about -3 for December, not +3. Seems to cool off afterwards though. Also, I think that low will shrink a lot nearer the time, if it even passes over the UK. 

untitled.png

Edited by edinburgh_1992

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.
On 20/11/2018 at 18:04, Roger J Smith said:

I don't expect too much to happen before mid-December, very strong cold outflow into eastern North America this week will tend to put too much southward pressure on the jet stream in the western Atlantic to prevent a milder pattern from re-establishing in western Europe for a couple of weeks probably, after which I think a stronger blocking high is likely to develop and another retrograde episode this time drawing on more potent cold than the current easterly has to work with. Probably some really good winter synoptics eventually, patience advised though. Dec 19 to 24 period will be volatile and may feature a winter storm for at least some parts of the UK and Ireland, possibly a battleground scenario. Much colder to follow that. 

Hi Roger, love reading  your post on here. Going back to your above post from back at the end of November, do you still have the same view on how you think December will turn out? Is it still looking on track to you? Looking at the models we seem to be looking at the Atlantic in control for a while yet sadly. Just hope we eventually get a strong enough block in the correct place to bring us what most of us crave ?☺❄

Many Thanks Roger.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
5 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Amazingly mild. T850s rising with every run. The average for Edinburgh is about -3 for December, not +3

untitled.png

-3 AVERAGE IN DECEMBER????

• Like 6

Posted

As an aside note from the chase for cold (not that there is much right now) this is a worrying chart for parts, after 2 weeks of saturating weather this could be really nasty

Looks like a period of atlantic domination for the time being, the worst possible outcome for me!! Can’t stand this weather.

4E2DFB7C-F5DD-4117-B458-4953D3D1B642.png

• Like 2

Posted

The above update from Knocker in the other thread suggests that the EC46 isn't as good as was suggested in here yesterday evening. However I suspect we are talking about different timescales within the 46? 

(Ignore the last sentence - I think he's feeling lonely).

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

INSTANT TROP RESPONSE ALERT!

gfsnh-10-276_txg1.png

gfsnh-0-288_jwd7.png

Have you looked at the heights rather than the temps?  

At 50 and 10hpa

76D83805-0F3B-4936-AD0A-FA31C5A9401B.thumb.jpeg.1e363097f94a2ad621968ead2cd6c19a.jpeg  52DAFA26-59D8-4046-9231-D7EC9E83CD8A.thumb.jpeg.9b0ab554ac51036775b0ec0099addd99.jpeg

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Yes.

https://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/strat.php?run=2018120706&var=HGT&lev=10mb&hour=276

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

At 50 and 10hpa

76D83805-0F3B-4936-AD0A-FA31C5A9401B.thumb.jpeg.1e363097f94a2ad621968ead2cd6c19a.jpeg  52DAFA26-59D8-4046-9231-D7EC9E83CD8A.thumb.jpeg.9b0ab554ac51036775b0ec0099addd99.jpeg

Sorry yes - it has nothing to do with the upper warming

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Sorry yes - it has nothing to do with the upper warming

There remains a disconnect of sorts between the upper vortex and the trop - would be good to see the upper vortex imprinted solidly on the trop !  Looking at the upper strat pattern, Hopefully just a matter of time before it is ..........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

One advantage I can see is that temperatures do look like 'predominantly' returning to and staying at average next week, which will be a welcome change to the tropical tripe we've had this week.

That of course is tied in with the jet slipping south and us ending up in 'the wet zone' as I like to call it ie no longer in the hairdryer but neither benefitting from December 2017 style NWerlies. I am concerned by the risk of more widespread flooding as time goes on. Are we perhaps seeing November 2009 all over again but a few weeks later? Would certainly fit with a transition to seasonality towards the latter part of the month.

Edited by MP-R
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Green christmas and very white new year for me.

Yes with possible surprises for some as the jet relaxes s/e

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

In the past, when ukmo picks the different route at day 6 against the others, you tend to see the others cotton pretty well straight  away - I expect the ukmo to go with the ecm on the 12z run 

struggling to maintain enthusiasm to stay in this thread .... could be off to knockers ...

You would be very welcome Blue, the more the merrier. ☺️

• Like 3