Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Knockout.  Done and dusted.  

image.thumb.jpg.4a07e2e34d4542167adeb528b3161b19.jpg

Surely.  same as 12z.  You can say these sometimes show up in FI and don't happen, the corollary is that if they are going to happen, they always show this far out!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Getting towards the kind of temperature values at the top of the strat that we need in order to reverse the zonal winds.

https://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/strat.php?run=2018120618&var=TMP&lev=1mb&hour=384

Posted
12 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Getting towards the kind of temperature values at the top of the strat that we need in order to reverse the zonal winds.

https://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/strat.php?run=2018120618&var=TMP&lev=1mb&hour=384

Yep, that’s gotta be close. I fancy a late December SSW is quite feasible.

133DD897-F2FC-4A61-A0C4-44A0CF5EC700.thumb.gif.bd759b5f82e94e627ed18150d02266aa.gif

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, booferking said:

Jma going along with the nw/se exis along with

height rises out west towards Greenland..

With those charts at the end, we could get some snow due to evaporative cooling.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
11 minutes ago, StormyWeather28 said:

Does SSW ever lead to a Northerly? If it does deliver cold weather is it always from an Easterly? 

Yes, quite possible.  The SSW means the winds reverse in the stratosphere and become easterly on average (at 10 hpa and 60 degrees north, to be precise).  What happens then as I understand it is this downwells to affect our weather down here over a period of weeks.  What happens also depends on whether it splits the vortex in two or merely displaces it.

The split SSW in Feb was so strong it flipped the winds right round the planet from westerly to easterly, but that I think is quite rare.  Usually it means a significantly more meridional jet stream, which could leave us in a northerly, easterly, equally a southerly depending on position, hope that helps.  

• Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, StormyWeather28 said:

Does SSW ever lead to a Northerly? If it does deliver cold weather is it always from an Easterly? 

It could lead to a Northerly if its a displacement SSW and displaces the Vortex to our East, it depends on how it propgates and where the high pressure sets up in the troposphere, although it does most of the time seem to be an Easterly, you might want to ask that question in the strat thread though with the level of expertise over there, someone will probably go back through the archives and give you some stats and a much longer detailed post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

With those charts at the end, we could get some snow due to evaporative cooling.

Indeed you don't need deep cold uppers at this time of year to produce snowfall, heavy precipitation in 528 dam air, can do the business - thanks to evaporative cooling. Yes such synoptics tend to produce the wet snow stuff, an often temporary affairs, but significant amounts can fall with very modest height. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Indeed you don't need deep cold uppers at this time of year to produce snowfall, heavy precipitation in 528 dam air, can do the business - thanks to evaporative cooling. Yes such synoptics tend to produce the wet snow stuff, an often temporary affairs, but significant amounts can fall with very modest height. 

Yes - the reason i said that is because the winds are very light but there are upper troughs and surface kinks in the isobars denoting pressure gradient and thus likely PPN.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

As I posted, my fear was always that the undercut was going to occur too far North, albeit I did think the Scandi ridge extension would get a lot further west than it is currently looking like doing so initially.

Watch this space though. I think the jet axis on the NW/SE path is very much one to be watched. It wouldn’t take much here to turn the Atlantic from foe to friend. And if it does, watch the block fight back...

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Nick F said:

Not often one sees such a marked positive height anomaly over Greenland and Iceland at week 5 but more strikingly at week 6 in EC weeklies, normally the anomalies are muted at that range. EC longer range smelling the SSW coffee?

It must be Nick - and it must be a majority cluster at that, like you say, for the pattern to stay similar but the anomaly actually grow the further into the run is a big signal.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Not often one sees such a marked positive height anomaly over Greenland and Iceland at week 5 but more strikingly at week 6 in EC weeklies, normally the anomalies are muted at that range. EC longer range smelling the SSW coffee?

Ahhh! The "smelling the coffee" quote. Guaranteed to fail!!! 

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

That looks better

It would be nice to think this was the start of a trend back the other way

We will know soon enough.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

It would be nice to think this was the start of a trend back the other way

We will know soon enough.

This doesn't fill one with much optimism in the medium range.

Diagramme GEFS

on the other hand, this does.

gfsnh-10-384_qkx6.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Have I ever said how much I love and rate the EC46?!

I'd imagine we'll be getting a pretty wintry long range update from the Metoffice pretty soon if that sticks.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Evening all

just a quick question, during the winters of 47/63/87 etc is there any evidence that these big winter events started after a SSW? Can you get a prolonged wintry spell without a SSW? 

Posted

To be fair , these toastie ssw strat charts have been at +384 for the last 3 weeks, (just scroll back through this thread) might be a trend ok, but goes to show you can't take a +384 chart literally as it should be at T+0 by now. For me I think mid Jan onwards will be interesting , especially if you have been following the Sunspot activity , lowest I've seen in years . 

Edited by BlackburnChris
  • Like 3

Posted

Hmm, I'm not so sure I get sucked into this SSW in January theory just yet.   Obviously, the Strat is easier to model as it has less volatility than the troposphere but we are talking a month's time.  I'm not so sure that I've seen anything particularly accurate at that range.  If true then with a 2-3 week down welling you are looking at late Jan/early Feb period of cold potentially.

What is encouraging is that all the main models have pointed to wave one events.  I always think of wave one as a nudge to the vortex, compared to the scattering effect of a wave 2.  For some reason, I always think of snooker players breaking off.

My main point was that it looks interesting in the long term and to remind people that December snow at low level is an anomaly (2010 skewed peoples expectations). 

Edited by Trom
spelling!
  • Like 5