Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
1 hour ago, snowray said:

Not just that post, there are a few posts turning up saying things like what should we expect? it was all out in FI blah blah blah, don't look too far ahead you will be disappointed. And then finish off  with something like the "the signs are promising further down the line", or "the beast will arrive Christmas" or "wait for the new year" yh like it's easier to forecast out at T500 with a crystal ball I guess. Quite funny really.;)

Anyway, I will just have to stick with the JMA from now on this winter, it never once went for the easterly scenario, the new super king model! But it's all still a long way off so you never know, could be game on again by the 12z, certainly still a decent chance of a undercut or more likely battleground scenario later next week.

Well I’m not saying wait for the beast like it WILL happen just going by what the experts say there is a pretty good chance of it! All I’m saying is if we look at the models in far reaches of fi we will pretty much all be disappointed all of the time

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

It’s a little early to be throwing in the towel off of the backs of 1 mornings model runs. UKMO is fairly decent

CD7C4F3F-FCCB-4836-A85B-15D8EB66E237.thumb.gif.7fd9c29deda24a60979185e68757d8b7.gif

GFS mean holds the block in place longer than the GFS Det, too

A00F740D-E191-4180-97DA-8D1C63F8B40A.thumb.png.dcdb77ace2807a3dbdd3b171e86c3b66.png

And this mornings ICON is much improved upon it’s overnight run.

The Det runs do seem a little progressive when compared with their respective ensemble suites but even they eventually get the Atlantic in and then we have a low pressure signal right out to the end of the extended (day 15). 

Anything that happens after the block development is up in the air, models do historically struggle with this. If I was a betting man I’d probably bet on the Atlantic winning out based on this mornings models, however there’s still plenty of water to go under the bridge before we get to that point.

11A60A1D-8CC6-4440-9039-E86320A2E6D7.png

9E2F425D-DBD6-4955-A07B-1E22D74D5DAF.png

• Like 8

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

120 06z left V 126 00z right

FE89072A-1040-43A0-8C63-ADCE9280D1E3.thumb.png.3d751a9b97999d48fa64c1c920f1f934.png157FF634-1941-4464-BF87-D81E6AB6AC73.thumb.png.439f12ab96f7d1f0b29bc134c589b75f.png

Mate that is pretty big upgrade at a short time frame lol!!that ridge looks stronger aswell!!

• Like 2

Posted

We seem to quite in a bit of a state this morning

There's no doubt about it that overnight models have trended towards a more unsettled and near avg temps compared to a cold outlook

We shouldn't just give up just because of overnight let's see what today brings out before making a outlook 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Unless we have some members on here who have acquired the ability to go forward in time to see what the weather is going to do, I am going to continue to go by the outlandish notion that nothing has actually happened yet.

A poor (relatively speaking) few runs of late but there is plenty of time for this to switch back.

And of course further prospects remain very promising.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

and renewed wave attack at 144 onwards with gfs.

so its certainly nowhere near the be all end all by far.

still interesting 2018 perhaps even better towards mid month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle
On 26/11/2018 at 16:25, ICE COLD said:

Are u for real ? . Yes we’re gonna be in for some zonal for the next 10 days , but come on writing off the whole of December . I will quote your post in 10 days and I bet you it will look completely different to what we’re having now . See ya in ten days

Hi @icecold so 10 days is up........(banter btw before emotions run high)

My perspective still has not  changed. Still looking at mid to later January for anything significant and a SSW will be needed to help things along. 

Id also just like to make the point that im hunting for cold with you all but Im seeing at a slightly different time than most and that doesn't = trolling   

btw if people werent so snappy and bullish to jump on people with a different outlook to their own I would write more meaningful posts......... 

As I mentioned 10 days ago there would weak attempts and the odd transient cold period which I think is all we can expect this side of Christmas/New Year 

• Like 4

Posted

Well it's gone from a quick topple a few days ago, to a fairly clear easterly with snowy breakdown in the past days, and now it's knife-edge territory with a slight leaning towards a non-snowy breakdown. The ECM mean chart at T144 shows just how close this is:

EDM1-144.GIF?06-12

It's the positive/negative tilt teaser. Run an imaginary line through the kinks in the isobars through Ireland, and you get the incoming front. On this chart, it looks ever so slightly negative (i.e. tilting slightly west as you go north on the front). The hope from this position (for coldies) is that this front will stall, the Scandi high sustains its position and energy goes south, eventually tilting the front further back on its northern portion, and an easterly sweeps up the northern flank of the front, turning it to snow.

By T192 it's happened, but just too late to get underneath the high.

EDM1-192.GIF?06-12

Energy goes over the high rather than under, and the high sinks:

EDM1-216.GIF?06-12

In a sense things haven't changed massively as it has been clear-ish for days that the Atlantic would win out in the end - what is flexible is whether we get a snowy incident as that happens - odds slightly turned away from that this morning 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Morning all

Plenty of deflated individuals this morning but to try to be analytical it's worth looking at a single run and a single timeframe to see how the modelling has developed.

On Tuesday 4th, the GFS 00Z OP at T+174

gfs-0-174.png

A strong ridge moving north and NE across the British Isles with a large Atlantic LP retreating westwards.

Wednesday December 5th, GFS00Z OP at T+150:

gfs-0-150.png

The ridge is weaker, the LP over Eastern Europe deeper and the Atlantic model is different.

Now, this morning and the 00Z at T+126:

gfs-0-126.png

If this cold spell next week has failed, it's because the original ridging from the south has ended up weaker than originally modelled which makes the block over Scandinavia weaker and less able to withstand a vigorous Atlantic but I'd also note the modelling of the LP over the Baltic which is deeper again this morning and also inhibits the development of a suitably robust block.

The Atlantic LP was at the start moving west to the south of Greenland but the new LP coming up from the SW invigorates the energy and aids the LP in punching through the weaker block.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, MR EXTREMES said:

image.thumb.png.d60f0c0765c9f68077c2061ca6870548.png

theres a westward correction on this run and shallow heights pulling up towards greenland.

No notable change up to 96 from what i can see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Stacks of potential from day 10 onwards on the ECM 12z...but haven't we been saying that bit too much over the last couple of weeks?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I don't profess to know a lot about interpreting the models etc. I leave that to the knowledgeable folk on here , but my  opinion for what it's worth is  any sort of respite from this awful  Atlantic driven crud is more than welcome, and as f far as I'm concerned Winter starts on Dec 21st  despite the Met offices love for tidy statistical purposes.  Plenty of time for proper winter weather  yet,  bitterly cold weather before Christmas is like looking for Lord Lucan riding around on Shergar.

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, FetchCB said:

Not sure if its mentioned this morning but isn't this the norm for GFS.....pick up Easterly at Day 10....drop it a few days later....then smell the coffee and return with the Easterly with 72-96h to go ?

It is normally when the GFS reigns back the easterly that METO extended forecast mentions easterly and snow...and hey presto as if by magic.....

Yes this sort of this does happen sometimes.

Anyway looking shorter term (not FI guys, happy?);), todays FAX chart seems pretty good to me at T84, HP towards Greeny looking more prominent there.fax84s.thumb.gif.3b58ae19d51a07269fb6478b82bf32e8.gif

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted

It's would be worth a mention that the correction west on the ICON is good but considering it's starting position I think this is just the models converging on the soon to be correct solution (Probably a temporary ridge thrown up that quickly gets pushed east) After all this has had support from the ensembles from all publicly available models. 

Edited by frosty ground
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

i reckon greenland heights are not a done deal yet.

i think this run looking ok.

we need them split lows in the atlantic and the small feature around close to greenland to phase together allowing heights to establish itself.

image.thumb.png.fb31a18d8a7f4c9c7bb6e32b32a16664.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

If the useless Scandi high can shuv off asap, we might actually get a decent northerly before Christmas. :oldgood:

gfseu-0-192.png

• Like 1

Posted

Quite a change in the models in the last 24 hours. Basically the high pressure is too far east for the UK and not as strong as initially thought. To be honest, I am not gutted because the easterly looked a bit toothless (the uppers were surprisingly high for mid December).

Let's hope we get cool zonality before the next easterly opportunity arises.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Lack of posts sums it up, the GFS 06z is even worse than the 0z. Atlantic comes in quicker. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
36 minutes ago, Shaftesbury Snow said:

Hi @icecold so 10 days is up........(banter btw before emotions run high)

My perspective still has not  changed. Still looking at mid to later January for anything significant and a SSW will be needed to help things along. 

Id also just like to make the point that im hunting for cold with you all but Im seeing at a slightly different time than most and that doesn't = trolling   

btw if people werent so snappy and bullish to jump on people with a different outlook to their own I would write more meaningful posts......... 

As I mentioned 10 days ago there would weak attempts and the odd transient cold period which I think is all we can expect this side of Christmas/New Year 

Lol . Up until yesterday morning it was looking pretty good next week for cold crisp weather . Now it’s a bit . Let’s give it another 10 days and see where we are . All the signs look good going forward. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

At 192 hrs on the gfs 6z the pv looks in trouble to me!!!, Good heighths coming of the eastern seaboard ete.decent nhp imo