Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

31 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

ECM Is definitely the pick of the bunch today! Here is the snow fall by next Friday from ECM 

36D1907B-4682-41E2-9BDA-816778C95D9E.jpeg

oh me oh my i seem to be in that dark purple bit in Scotland. some cracking charts this morning and just for fun at this range.

Posted
9 minutes ago, More Snow said:

oh me oh my i seem to be in that dark purple bit in Scotland. some cracking charts this morning and just for fun at this range.

Be ultra-careful with those charts, they really overdo the snow..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

ECM Op is such a tease..

ECM1.thumb.png.c484a1c7516b58834ff1722c25265489.png

Not sure why everyone is downbeat, I read the forum before looking at the models and was assuming everything had on pear shaped, all looks fine where I'm sitting. Not too concerned with the 850hPa temps at this juncture, how many times have we seen them be upgraded as the time period closes in?

EPS seems to show the first Atlantic attack undercutting, the second attack makes more inroads into the UK days 10 and 11, extended out to day 15 shows low pressure over the UK with Scandi blocking subsiding, though it's a little too early into proceedings to buy into that just yet..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

And here comes the next MJO cycle - and again it looks strong. Bit of a head scratcher that - but if it maintains the amplitude of pacific forcing given other background conditions then bring it on....

29465366_twc_globe_mjo_vp200(2).thumb.png.58c461215a24bd1edea370e2ef5ddb02.png

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

ECM Op is such a tease..

ECM1.thumb.png.c484a1c7516b58834ff1722c25265489.png

Not sure why everyone is downbeat, I read the forum before looking at the models and was assuming everything had on pear shaped, all looks fine where I'm sitting. Not too concerned with the 850hPa temps at this juncture, how many times have we seen them be upgraded as the time period closes in?

EPS seems to show the first Atlantic attack undercutting, the second attack makes more inroads into the UK days 10 and 11, extended out to day 15 shows low pressure over the UK with Scandi blocking subsiding, though it's a little too early into proceedings to buy into that just yet..

I compare the charts to aiming at a target. Your sites start at the edge, meander towards the middle (which maybe the point where the eye candy shows on several charts), you go past the centre (sweet spot) and then meander again pulling the trigger. The point being, the charts can all show the perfect synoptics now or close to across several models for 5 days away then drift away from the sweetspot. Its also perfectly possible that on the second pass, they come back to the sweetspot, which I would call an upgrade. 

Nothing to worry about, we have 3 months of winter and March is the bonus ball .

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Paul said:

Be ultra-careful with those charts, they really overdo the snow..

Been discussed a few times and most agree that the algorithms for ‘falling snow’ are correct. But It over estimates the ‘accumulating snow.’ Hence why I chopped the bottom off the image (showing depth) before posting 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
11 hours ago, Singularity said:

Overall, extended modelling seems a little progressive on the shift west of the main high-latitude blocking focus; west-based negative NAO setup arriving a bit soon with too little of an east-based negative NAO interlude beforehand.

As and when we do see the west-based negative NAO it'll be hard to hang onto cold conditions but not out of the question should we see enough of a displacement of the stratospheric vortex toward Siberia; that could feasibly allow blocking to reach further east than usual for a situation where the blocking is focused over the NE of N. America.

Not worth getting too involved with at this time of course; let's hope we can first get a good bout of cold air in during the middle of the month.

and following on from this yesterday.

todays charts certainly show your ideas well.

i think the other problem is lack of lower heights to our south we need the heights around the azores to surge north or north east like 09/10 winter.

it undoubtedly very knife edge any correction west would help but im back on the fence.

but gfs still adding wave attack on the vortex id of thought if we can get through this month with continued disruption to the vortex, then we might bypass the peak cooling leaving the vortex more vulnerable.  

northern arm of the jet stream or the split part of the jet stream is interesting to, as momentum  is weaker on the northern part of the jet as it loops around but the usual track of the jet is not raging like previous years.

and the qbo needs to be kept an eye on because a strong westerly qbo might just put the breaks on a knife edge winter.

but this year there are lots pluses for this winter.

but this mornings runs are ok but not really holding steady very fluid flow at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Whilst the gist of the extended GEFS and EPS looks credible (+ve height anomalies centred Hudson Bay), there's any awful lot of white space across the rest of the Northern Hemisphere. Suspect that modelling remains too progressive w/r/t Scandinavian ridge demise, and, possibility that we will retain some weakish +ve heights to our north in the run up to Christmas.

My punt of technical strat warming date would be 26th December.

So by that  i expect a 3 weeks lag time  which would make the possible effects felt in the middle of January.?  perfect timing right in the depths of winter. 

• Like 3

Posted

GFS Parallel 00Z (sorry a bit late on this!): this time it contrives to spoil the pattern soon after this point, but I'm guessing battleground snow may be possible as the incoming front moves in from the SW:

gfs-0-180.png  gfs-1-180.png

Given everything I've seen this morning and yesterday, I think a big snow-event for some towards the end of next week is approaching the 50/50 mark.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Before the cold we have this feature passing through, hopefully the last for a good while, it’s potency has changed quite a bit on the last few model runs, MO yellow warning in place since yesterday

95542C6A-A38C-4765-815B-1893F481F199.png

Posted
Just now, Weegaz said:

Before the cold we have this feature passing through, hopefully the last for a good while, it’s potency has changed quite a bit on the last few model runs, MO yellow warning in place since yesterday

95542C6A-A38C-4765-815B-1893F481F199.png

Yes Weegaz  i noticed this. It also seems to have deepened slightly since the 0z run  Scotland and the borders could get rather wild into Friday 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Yes Weegaz  i noticed this. It also seems to have deepened slightly since the 0z run  Scotland and the borders could get rather wild into Friday 

Looked deep on Monday then yesterday looked to be fizzling out, picking up potency again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

15/12/18

Cold getting in place from the East

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.thumb.png.58af2bb58a999e979769e2d2ebe83b32.png

.......and "Bump"for Wales?

h500slp.thumb.png.060c13fd89e8c3b2ad5b86c1a0e10360.png

uksnowrisk.thumb.png.91c9958b4458e070909e654eb7fdf14c.png

:oldgood:

Potential has been there for mid December the last few runs.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Hmmm 6z gfs looking a bit light weight with the ridge wanting to go to scan?? Atlantic just looking imo a bit more east

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.6c8a3d2fc6a9dd5afb8d3f4bffcb9b4e.png

looks like heights are getting the squeeze is going to be able to inject any heights further north or northeast thats the problem.

might take couple of attempts. 

Posted
1 minute ago, MR EXTREMES said:

image.thumb.png.6c8a3d2fc6a9dd5afb8d3f4bffcb9b4e.png

looks like heights are getting the squeeze is going to be able to inject any heights further north or northeast thats the problem.

might take couple of attempts. 

image.thumb.png.1bb69931961b9a023615290f9439ffde.png

looks like the lower heights are forming to our south extra support for the northern blocking.

but most likely still going to ditch the whole lot by the end of the run.

but hopefully not.