Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Cold
30 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

From gp post earlier they might change soon hopefully

I'm sure they have more data then someone posting on here, with respect to the 'GP' of course ..!

Posted
8 minutes ago, Spanish Dani said:

I'm sure they have more data then someone posting on here, with respect to the 'GP' of course ..!

They have all the data in the world but they cannot forecast based on gut feeling and amateur model watching experience (obviously they use their professional experience)  - otherwise they would have seen next weeks scandi ridge like some of us did .......

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Cold
6 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

Do you have any idea who he is and what he does? Clearly not

I think he seems to be knowlegable amateur like lot of others 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Spanish Dani said:

I think he seems to be knowlegable amateur like lot of others 

He's a bit more than that but it's not my place to say. Let's just say he makes a living out of meteorology 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just getting round to adding my comments for the 6-14 day period, as usual, based on the upper air products, the 500 mb anomaly charts.

These are from my daily notes made this morning

So how are things shaping up over the past couple of days?

Ec-gfs shows the European ridging as the dominant factor as it builds ridging and +ve heights towards n Norway and extending west towards Iceland/Greenland with both showing a cut off low over Europe and into the eastern med and the western trough around 40 w with the uk in almost no flow between the two, if anything a flow from out of the cut off low to the east

Noaa last evening showed ridging similar to to ec-gfs re contours but with the c of g of +ve heights still just sw of the uk; by its 8-14 this had shifted to n Norway with the uk going from ridging on the 6-10 to a fairly slack s of west flow from a rounded trough s of Greenland.

Overall to me the anomaly charts have not given sound advice over the past 3-5 days. I am still unsure what is going to happen beyond 5-8 days from now? A colder spells developing seems pretty certain but for how long seems unclear to me this morning. Also the probability in the 5-8 day frame of any of the white stuff falling let alone settling, at least for lower ground, seems even more problematical.

the usual links

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

• Like 7

Posted
4 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

He's a bit more than that but it's not my place to say. Let's just say he makes a living out of meteorology 

so does Piers Corbyn... it's a forecast, same as any other. May be right, may be wrong.

Meanwhile, looking like height rises pushing North and lots of options thereafter.  Too early to tell whether we will get the retrogression being suggested, I think.

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The extended Ecm 00z ensemble mean looks colder than last night's 12z, especially further north..really hoping support grows for a cold run up to..and including christmas!❄️

EDM0-240.GIF

Glad to see you back frosty!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

so does Piers Corbyn... it's a forecast, same as any other. May be right, may be wrong.

Meanwhile, looking like height rises pushing North and lots of options thereafter.  Too early to tell whether we will get the retrogression being suggested, I think.

It also means he has access to much more data than us, full access to EC's data costs hundreds of thousands of euros per year, then there are the UK met models... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Although the mean charts suggest the Atlantic making another move around day 10 as i posted in the other thread i think there is much to ponder beyond.

Looking at the later ECM clusters they quickly jump to 6 as we go to the back end of week 2- just beyond the suggestion of the Scandi.ridge weakening.

Clustering showing any number of scenarios some re-enforcing heights to the ne,others heights to the south and then another further amplification in the Atlantic with a UK trough.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018120400_324.

A look at the London temperature ens sort of underlines the large range of uncertainty once we get to the ridge building around day 7.

ensemble-tt6-london.thumb.gif.24e3a529f4db6c26f7929578e925604c.gif

There  are any number ways forward as highlighted in those clusters.I  think it's safe to say we will get the High building towards Scandinavia now but the question is if the Atlantic makes inroads beyond day 10 as shown in the mean charts will it last for long?

For the time being Blue i think i might join you on the fence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Meto update still suggesting a possible return to milder after a cold (wintry showers) snap next week. Do we think this ties in with the potential for the Atlantic to fire up between said cold spell and the trop result of the SSW as has been suggested on here? Or could it be that they're just still playing cautious whilst waiting for models to firm up?

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

I don’t thinks it’s top secret, a 10 second search of Google comes up with this http://centaureaweather.com/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Nice to see the initial northerly is a wee bit more potent, on this run...Even some southern (close to eastern coasts) parts might see something a tad wintry...?

Netweather GFS Image

Indeed Pete, as I’ve going on about recently, I think there’ll be snow to be had by this weekend mot currently forecast.  It become forecast soon as colder than thought air will dog South quickly.

#winter of discontent

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
7 hours ago, ArHu3 said:

You're right, I was in a hurry. Anyway, not that discussing this changes anything but I think that displacements are more often than not unfavorable for us and we need an actual split. In the stratosphere thread catacol explains why displacements often can be unfavorable 

Hmm - not quite the message of my post to be honest. However I agree that a split is better than a displacement, and I did go on to state that I dont think a disconnected displacement event is where we may be headed this year!

• Like 4