Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Of lag..but of note...

forecast_3_nh.gif

forecast_2_nh.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

gfsp on board at day 10 - waiting for ecm to give a full house !

At D10 though - i would prefer to have majority clustering or in a really ideal world, the ensemble mean.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

At D10 though - i would prefer to have majority clustering or in a really ideal world, the ensemble mean.

Ens mean is of catch up here...

Check the supports for full 12z...after ec-12z..

Will speak volumes!!..

@i think!!@,?

We are gaining!!!

RAPIDLY....

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

This is a lovely chart from the FV3, high a little further north of Scandi allowing deep cold from the east, and the Atlantic low undercuts. Net result, heavy snow!:clap:

Don't last long though....the Atlantic is back before you know it.

gfs-1-312.png

gfs-0-312.png

gfs-0-336.png

gfs-2-312.png

gfs-2-324.png

gfs-2-336.png

gfs-0-360.png

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

this is never going to be an evolution where the mean will pick it up ahead of the ops …….too much volatility in the nwp

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, booferking said:

Plenty of vava voom in para seems like a light switch was turned on today..

gfsnh-0-300.png

gfsnh-1-300.png

Let's hope so! After this morning's ghastly offerings, these are something else! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

You posted a 360hr chart earlier on to show how zonal was likely..

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

PLEASE ECM 12Z CARRY ON THE TREND FROM THE EVENINGS 12Z RUNS . DONT BE A FRIDAY NIGHT LET DOWN. ??

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

this is never going to be an evolution where the mean will pick it up ahead of the ops …….too much volatility in the nwp

True but thats because its an outlier solution with very low chance of verifying.

Anyway - this bit now is a more general statement to others, i will only post positive things from now on into this thread wrt cold so its very likely i wont be posting a whole lot over the coming weeks, if i want to make predictions that are mild i will do it in the other thread, i thought this thread was the hunt for cold thread, not the make believe it will be cold when it wont thread, i can understand people not wanting mild fans gloating about mild weather in here and thought that was the point but thats different altogether, anyway the average is 4.7c CET for December, i have gone 6.3 and above average rainfall on the December competition, so if anyone who thinks December will be cold, go below the 4.7c average but there will only be one winner between me and you if you do - There's the challenge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve C said:

I'd trust a zonal chart at day 15 more than an easterly chart at day 10, unfortunately. 

Very wise!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

Very wise!

You can`t trust anything at day 15, it`s just unfortunate that the default pattern we live in most of the year is zonal which makes posting that a little bit of a cop out tbh.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Steve C said:

I'd trust a zonal chart at day 15 more than an easterly chart at day 10, unfortunately. 

Me too!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

At 600 feet up in west yorks, you can be more sanguine than most !

but you're right, the other thread is more relevant for model discussion which is based on the stronger likelihood of mobility verifying - that's just basic stats. if i thought there was no chance of cold within the next 2/3 weeks then i would be discussing the nwp on there and keeping knocker company!

I would be 1000ft up if i had'nt had to move here in a rush (this is the lowest point in the whole parish), the problem here is people keep going up and down the main road and putting salt down so it needs a continual pasting to keep them in bed and maintain a decent snow cover.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

You can`t trust anything at day 15, it`s just unfortunate that the default pattern we live in most of the year is zonal which makes posting that a little bit of a cop out tbh.

No, it makes it massively sensible.

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I would be 1000ft up if i had'nt had to move here in a rush (this is the lowest point in the whole parish), the problem here is people keep going up and down the main road and putting salt down so it needs a continual pasting to keep them in bed and maintain a decent snow cover.

Haha mate Frosty ground is 2 miles from you and hes 300m !!

Some very hilly parts around Oldham- top of ripponden road 345m

anyway, i digress, big few slides coming up on EC, 168 onwards is key for me..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
14 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

At 600 feet up in west yorks, you can be more sanguine than most !

but you're right, the other thread is more relevant for model discussion which is based on the stronger likelihood of mobility verifying - that's just basic stats. if i thought there was no chance of cold within the next 2/3 weeks then i would be discussing the nwp on there and keeping knocker company!

So what, we post the thrills in here, and the spills in there?  That's never going to work, the roller coaster is an integral part of what is so fascinating about model watching at this time of year.  

Deliberate mild ramping belongs in the other thread, yes, but let's keep the ups and down of the journey into winter in one place please!

• Like 1