Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Not really shore what to make of the ECM clusters this morning. Cluster 4 maybe looks the best for a scandy high ? 

10CFCD26-72AF-4C73-BA4B-27D6C9D8181C.png

EDIT- Actually cluster 3 has high pressure to the north with a through over us . Maybe that would hold some hope . 

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 1

Posted

A tweet by A. Masiello: +MT in the 6-10 day will lead to a jet extension day 10-15 which supports the NPO flip that brings the relaxation period mid-month. But, during that time, the flow is gearing up for the next Eurasian Anticyclone.

http://twitter.com/antmasiello/status/1068312377026859008

Edited by sebastiaan1973

Posted

The differences between the 00z gfs and 06gfs at just 96 hours is ridiculous!!gone is the snow potential for midlands and wales and the shortwave doesnt even slide away into the continent!instead joines forces with the low coming out of the states and therefore everything flatter and not as amplified early on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nothing all that exciting from the GFS this morning...At T+384, things look almost like a text-book winter weather pattern:

Netweather GFS Image

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
16 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Not really shore what to make of the ECM clusters this morning. Cluster 4 maybe looks the best for a scandy high ? 

10CFCD26-72AF-4C73-BA4B-27D6C9D8181C.png

EDIT- Actually cluster 3 has high pressure to the north with a through over us . Maybe that would hold some hope . 

I dont rate those at all tbh - the flow is broadly from a Westerly quadrant.

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Nothing all that exciting from the GFS this morning...At T+384, things look almost like a text-book winter weather pattern:

Netweather GFS Image

Seriously Ed, you need to stop using day 16 op charts to make a point, whichever direction they are headed in .......

eps clusters are now five again in extended so the mist which was possibly clearing is maintained .... looks like plenty of possibilities at day 10/11 for coldies 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Seriously Ed, you need to stop using day 16 op charts to make a point, whichever direction they are headed in .......

eps clusters are now five again in extended so the mist which was possibly clearing is maintained .... looks like plenty of possibilities at day 10/11 for coldies 

Which was my point, BA: posting day 16 charts, even when they don't show Snowmageddon, is pointless...? The weather will simply carry on regardless...

The GFS Para for next Monday, on the other hand, is a different matter:

Netweather GFS Image

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted

Still that low to the sw and whether it phases with the upstream low remains uncertain.

For those hoping for a chance of some snow , the no phase option is crucial .

You also want a shallow feature , the deeper the low the more likely it is to phase.

After this drama the models try and displace the limpet high to the south but I’d stress don’t believe this until it’s shown within the more reliable timeframe .

We’ve seen this tease shown for a few days which hasn’t survived contact in further runs .

The ECM has the most promising output as we see a small Scandi high develop and if the upstream pattern was a bit more conducive it could get interesting but again will this survive in later outputs .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Well at least the control run is going for it.:oldgood:

gens-0-1-324.png

gens-0-1-360.png

gens-0-0-360.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

White Christmas anyone?:cold:

gens-0-1-384.png

gens-0-0-384.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
4 minutes ago, snowray said:

White Christmas anyone?

gens-0-1-384.png

gens-0-0-384.png

A feasible-outcome !!.

With date exactions, on stills about the turning point!!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

In any case there's fairly good support for temperatures to drop well into single figures by the second week of December

Cold.thumb.gif.a4ccefa682eb2bba25e9f76a7e89c660.gif

That to me is suggestive not mild Atlantic weather, but either Easterly winds (not deep cold) or a cold PM zonal type pattern. Uncertainties continue going forward towards week 2 of December, mild? Unlikely. But how cold and will it be blocked?

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

In any case there's fairly good support for temperatures to drop well into single figures by the second week of December

Cold.thumb.gif.a4ccefa682eb2bba25e9f76a7e89c660.gif

That to me is suggestive not mild Atlantic weather, but either Easterly winds (not deep cold) or a cold PM zonal type pattern. Uncertainties continue going forward towards week 2 of December, mild? Unlikely. But how cold and will it be blocked?

I'm still going for a short period of High-Pressure dominance, akin to UKMO at t+168 if only lasting for a few days. Is there a dry signal backing those charts up as well, come the 2nd week of December?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

06Z

11-12-18

+264 I know.... I know :oldmellow:

uksnowrisk.thumb.png.07609bd717f701937d3ee58ced834e19.png

• Like 2

Posted

Cumbria temp ensembles pretty flat - not having it.

t2mCumbria.thumb.png.9237d7d23aa76b083fbc6c1eecd28b00.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

06Z

11-12-18

+264 I know.... I know :oldmellow:

uksnowrisk.thumb.png.07609bd717f701937d3ee58ced834e19.png

I wouldn't worry, Iceaxe: sixteen days back, we were all being treated to a legion of 'all roads lead to cold' posts...That all turned-out well, didn't it - despite the models mostly 'smelling the coffee'?:santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

I wouldn't worry, Iceaxe: sixteen days back, we were all being treated to a legion of 'all roads lead to cold' posts...That all turned-out well, didn't it - despite the models mostly 'smelling the coffee'?:santa-emoji:

Yes - The Hunt for Cold thread -  soon to be the Clutching at Straws for Cold thread.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
4 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Thanks John

Phew, i was feeling a bit lonely with my optimism !!

Never lonely .  I think Cumbrians, Northumbrians, Scottish will be increasingly pleased over the coming week to 10 days whilst the south better make sure any leaks are sorted as LPs and main fronts come on southerly track bringing a thorough soaking.  For me though that is good going forward as increasing chances of a ridge developing and then holding into a cold flavour.....I think there will be some ‘not really expected’ transient snow events for places further south than the borders.....no deep cold yet....

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Lots of people commenting recently how the NH is predisposed to blocking throughout December. 

The MO isn't having any of it however. 

Blue commenting this morning to look for height rises to Scandi, I hope he's right.

Nothing worse than a warm Christmas. 

Posted
34 minutes ago, Nick F said:

I'm not so enthusiastic as I was a week ago that we'll see proper blocking anytime soon, i.e. next few weeks, as there just looks like too much El Nino westerly momentum and a trop PV too close to the NW to allow blocking to form near enough to the UK or position ideally for any deep cold to spread across the UK.

Looks like the models are picking up some transient eddies in the generally fast zonal westerly jet stream ploughing across the N Atlantic into western Europe, which may form some transient ridges that could pull down some cold arctic air to bring a brief 1-2 day cold snap, with snow for northern UK a real posibility.

But I do feel that there is not going to be enough amplification in what is an enhanced jet stream over the N Atlantic - fuelled by cold over NE USA/E Canada over the next week or two and strong westerly momentum over the Pacific.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.thumb.png.d8c3f11c59de2714627e00e8b6069249.png

353093108_gfs_uv250_nhem_fh0-240(1).thumb.gif.60988ad45f7357d320bb3a1953520088.gif

I did think we may get some help from MJO, which is headed into phase 1 to start December, but it does so at low amplitude signal on most model forecasts, so unlikely perhaps to create enough amplification in the upper flow to allow high latitude blocking. Plus the  recent record high AAM / growing El Nino (Modoki) is creating poleward flux of westerly momentum which in turn is creating a strong zonal jet stream across N Pacific, N America and N Atlantic - which will not allow for much amplification. The MJO will quickly orbit through to phases 3 and 4, which are even more hostile to high latitude blocking as we head towards Xmas.

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_small.thumb.gif.43d215b86fae4ee40312b009c5f976a3.gif

However, the state of the stratospheric polar vortex remains intriguing as we head through December, with forecast pulses of poleward wave activity hitting the PV over the next few weeks according to 10hPa wind/height forecasts, so be interesting to see how this impacts the sPV, i.e. displacement later in Dec or SSW in the New Year perhaps.

Thats interesting update as @Catacol  was going for a strong MJO wave and blocking highlighted below for mid month onwards.

Key to this will be the MJO. We continue to see forecasts of a strong MJO wave and without doubt the signal for blocking to return under a Nino base state will return:

navgemnh-0-1441.png

• Like 1