Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Worth pulling this post out from 11 days ago - because it has proved overoptimistic though not totally incorrect in perceived development. The pattern has in fact "relaxed" a great deal - calculated tendency of AAM has started a sharp fall

glcalctend_sig.90day.thumb.gif.eeaf5d886c2769d1f0a038eae43707bb.gif

Why? The simple answer is that overall Glaam hit such a height (+3SD) that there had to be a reaction....and therefore the downward phase of the to and fro nature of the momentum budget has been strong. I was guilty of not, perhaps, placing enough emphasis on that +3SD peak of the global momentum budget, largely because I didn't expect it to get quite so high.

But - hold on. This is not a post of resignation (from an openly slightly biased snow lover...) - quite the opposite. The pattern was always going to relax at this point, and we have ended up with a trough that appears to have blown away the blocking pattern and led to gloom on here. But remember that these cycles are predictable - and while the current phase has proved to offer more atlantic south westerlies than were hoped for the medium term prognosis is still very good. Note the cyclical nature of momentum budgets...and the certainty that an upwards trend will return before too long.

Key to this will be the MJO. We continue to see forecasts of a strong MJO wave and without doubt the signal for blocking to return under a Nino base state will return:

twc_globe_mjo_vp200x.thumb.png.13bdcdf3ad6e4a873e86dd842431b199.png

If the MJO goes through the Indian Ocean (as per the post above yours) and carries on its mery way at reasonable amplitude and not enter the COD, could an East Asian mountain torque event ensue and trigger a proper major midwinter SSW in late December?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

That depends on where you're looking..

im looking at the GFS and ECM runs..without rose tinted glasses

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Because looking at single op runs is a fraction of what is available.

The clusters show a strong positive height rise over Sacndi, 50 percent at that range is significant. May be nothing and we end up in a normal December pattern but the signals are there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Maybe if you looked at the ensemble means & Clusters you’d see the Scandi height rises instead of looking at Det runs in isolation

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

I'm still of the opinion a pressure rise over the UK with euro troughing accompanying is the form horse in the medium term. UKMO supportive of this. As always should the evidence swing more convincingly against this I'll change my mind. Maintaining objectivity and overcoming your preferences and resulting confirmation bias is hard work but something we should all aspire to. Apologies for the tl;dr off topic stuff

UE144-21 (1).gif

• Like 5

Posted

The lows on the overnight GFS and ECM do seem to be tracking a little more southerly than normal, but not quite southerly enough....

Posted

Hurrrah!!

UKMO/EC show a bit of Atlantic amplification!

GEM similar to UKMO and goes onto produce a very nice day 10..

Hoping for some momentum towards a pattern change .

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, s4lancia said:

Great ECM this morning. The Atlantic is going to have its time over the next 7 days, quite possibly two week but my thoughts remain positive thereafter.

Are we looking at a similar Jan'13 wedge situation perhaps? Here's the chart two weeks before that memorable cold spell kicked off...

NOAA_2_2012123112_1.thumb.png.8b34b3f6324c6c0f95700947288e9ac3.png

Hardly the polar opposite to the ECM's take on proceedings at D8...

ECMOPNH00_192_1.thumb.png.51904677f05ac4b0a6de38960b4a7621.png

Food for thought, that's all.

Yesterday's 12z oper was a warm outlier, today's 00z a cold outlier. 

(click on image if you don't see control and oper being the coldest) 

eps_pluim_tt_06260.png

Edited by ArHu3

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Eps extended mean smells of binary clusters again  ..... if not, it’s probably a swing away on the pendulum after yesterday’s 12z promise .......

Atlantic trough and Euro heights the favourite for me. 

• Like 1

Posted

Well i'm going to keep the optimistic (tin) hat on this morning..

UKMO pick of the 3 at 144 IMHO, i'm not convinced we will see a euro high longer term, infact, i'm thinking a slow process of Atlantic amplification as the jet drops into Europe..

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I'll do an update with the 500 mb anomaly charts later today, not all gloom and doom for you coldies though!

Thanks John

Phew, i was feeling a bit lonely with my optimism !!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
58 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Eps extended mean smells of binary clusters again  ..... if not, it’s probably a swing away on the pendulum after yesterday’s 12z promise .......

Are the updated clusters out yet ? Cheers 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow that settles then freezes!
56 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I'll do an update with the 500 mb anomaly charts later today, not all gloom and doom for you coldies though!

Deary me, been waiting a long while for you to say something more positive John!