Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
8 minutes ago, mulzy said:

A slight change in the NWP with a more southerly tracking jet been shown.  Northern areas *could* get some transient wintriness as Atlantic systems brush against any entrenched cold air.  However the mild and unsettled theme is still the form horse, especially in the medium term.

Day 10 EPS mean suggests an Atlantic influence in the 10-15 day period and this is confirmed by the extended EPS.  A classic winter tale of Atlantic troughing and ridging from southern Iberia into Eastern Europe.

ECMAVGEU00_240_1.png

Extended eps are more ridgy n of scandi which helps explain the more southerly aspect of the jet - clusters will be worth looking at to see how the mean has been arrived at and if we are approaching a point where two clear directions of travel appear rather than the many we currently have .......still that rise in heights over Europe at day 14/15.  The gems not interested in any absence of euro heights in contrast to the gefs and eps 

Posted
5 minutes ago, jules216 said:

yes, dreaded Euro high, yet few day ago it was showing a central EU through, this is what I was commenting on yesterday. plenty of blocking to around Scandi and Arctic, but lacking the trigger low

Mulzys chart shows a Euro trough  when you click on it but a ridge if you don’t ..... the trough is correct 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Looking at the likes of the 00Z ECMWF and 00Z GEM, it seems as though more of a West-North-West to East-South-East jet stream could develop for a time later next week. An aspect to encourage Atlantic Low Pressure system’s to our West to dive East into mainland Europe and pull the South-Eastern UK High Pressure back out West. That possible area of cut off heights developing to our North/North-West helping out with this too. 

Something that would put the general mild South-Westerly flow back for its nap. Even if it may only be temporary. Consequently more of a cooler theme for the UK, especially Northern areas. 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Cold
27 minutes ago, mulzy said:

A slight change in the NWP with a more southerly tracking jet been shown.  Northern areas *could* get some transient wintriness as Atlantic systems brush against any entrenched cold air.  However the mild and unsettled theme is still the form horse, especially in the medium term.

Day 10 EPS mean suggests an Atlantic influence in the 10-15 day period and this is confirmed by the extended EPS.  A classic winter tale of Atlantic troughing and ridging from southern Iberia into Eastern Europe.

ECMAVGEU00_240_1.png

Yes disappointing after reading that there was a lot of hope for December cold.

Posted
18 minutes ago, jules216 said:

yes, dreaded Euro high, yet few day ago it was showing a central EU through, this is what I was commenting on yesterday. plenty of blocking to around Scandi and Arctic, but lacking the trigger low

Through or no through, the first ten days of December will leave much to be desired in central EU. Temps around 10C will be a common occurence I think.

Posted
33 minutes ago, mulzy said:

ECMAVGEU00_240_1.png

I think you're looking at a cached chart. As BA mentioned, clicking the chart refreshes it and shows troughing in the med.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
18 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Mulzys chart shows a Euro trough  when you click on it but a ridge if you don’t ..... the trough is correct 

Yes that is the case, but I had a look at EPS up to 360hrs and there is a marked switch from euro low to euro high, I was following EPS every day and up until yesterday it was showing euro through form about 7th to 18th december. now euro through anomaly is there only as a transient feature for a duration of 2 to 3 days. not sure  it will verifiy thgough

Posted
30 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

This is why we strongly recommend everyone uses the upload function on the forum, and not just link to images.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

The ECM op at 240t would appear to be out of range of the mean but more importantly has the support of the GFS op. This could be a trend to cold that develops rather quickly !

C

gh500_20181129_00_240.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Cold
26 minutes ago, carinthian said:

The ECM op at 240t would appear to be out of range of the mean but more importantly has the support of the GFS op. This could be a trend to cold that develops rather quickly !

C

gh500_20181129_00_240.jpg

But if you see ridge over Iberia like that then Atlantic would return quickly with milder air for UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
46 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Through or no through, the first ten days of December will leave much to be desired in central EU. Temps around 10C will be a common occurence I think.

@daz_4 Will be especially annoying after Saturday the 1st of December probably having a -double digit minimum for my location. That said I would say it will probably be even less than 10 days before we see a change to more trough based, and hopefully snowy conditions. I would guesstimate around 8/9th of December for changeover, so still outside of reliable output, but the hints are there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The beeb last night mentioned colder in the north and milder in the south for next week and this shows on GFS this morning

ANOM2m_mean_europe.thumb.png.b9d62cf8aae33e973e0fa7dcee758e37.png

Obviously, a lot of caution is needed with these snow depth charts but it would certainly tie in with the colder air over Scotland. Not so sure about the snow heading further into England but you never know if the colder air tracks that bit further south.

180-780UK.thumb.gif.55e7e2ac1a84ad429b8d0b055d6b3887.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Wow that’s awesome ??Can you do this for all naff charts this winter please

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, booferking said:

That is one hell of a swift in cold air Day 5 compare charts below.

gfs-1-114 (1).png

gfs-1-120 (1).png

Someone could get very luky with frontal snowfall on that boundary line!!!what southward push though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

A bit more life in the output for coldies...!

Decent altitude ppn at 1200ft ASL? 5th Dec.

uksnowrisk.thumb.png.388a641801ffdb0766cc39c1f4370f5a.png

+213 looking promising Scandy LP's  - I'm not posting that one though.

Iain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

Anyone know how often these update or is this a one off Plummet ? I’m presuming below 0 is SSW territory 

B1B9D0A1-2EAD-42EE-BFDB-3079FADCD4E4.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Raythan said:

Anyone know how often these update or is this a one off Plummet ? I’m presuming below 0 is SSW territory 

It's the SSW which drives the decline in zonal winds I believe. This forecast chart therefore may in be in response to the warming in the Strat that is being discussed in that thread about the possibility of a rare December warming.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, Raythan said:

Daily, based on the 0z GFS, I believe.  Below 0 would be a SSW if it was at 60N, not 65N - you can change the plot, simply change 65 to 60 in the URL.

• Like 6