Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

5C630103-2E4A-41BA-B3B5-CDBBF0B180EB.thumb.png.20de4ffb36b6e6889c778504c115af61.png

Let’s hope the GFS control is on the money. 

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

It just goes to show that models in protracted blocking scenarios almost always over estimate the atlantic-

A total back track from the ECM tonight towards a slower evolution & potential undercutting especially when you compare 168 V 144 today 

GFS still more amplified but most scenario lead to cold leaking SW out of Scandi --

Where did all those zonal posts go??m

34BC7F29-6C6C-47CD-BD68-D302F4287D36.thumb.jpeg.19ec4d7d0b644d5f8b010a887fb908b1.jpeg

Lol. Personally, I am still reserving judgement. After all, it's just one op run. The ecm ens should be very revealing later - for good or bad. Also like I said above, we need to see that positive run built upon and hopefully improved on in subsequent runs. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
42 minutes ago, jules216 said:

Tried some reverse psychology @bluearmy 

The GFS main run turned out OK at the end. But you know when you see Azores high being menacingly advected towards Iberia it does give you an uneasy feeling. We know that about now most of the recent Decembers went pear shape for the whole of Europe basically. It would be a shame that a nice signal for central EU through would vanish that quickly. Did you get much snow in your neck of the woods @Seasonality in recent days? I am now counting days and will be leaving Ireland after 14 years on 15th of December. Location where I will be living got around 20cm yesterday and had -7C today lunchtime

47089560_10156969895128453_7785809722258489344_o.jpg

Not much in the way of snow, but lots of bright cold weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
5 hours ago, carinthian said:

Afternoon all. The resort Advent Path opens later this afternoon ,starts in the village square and ends at the hutte on picture below . Always a popular walk for the children and lasts till Christmas Eve. Thick snow on the ground, frosty night air  and the sweet smell of hot glog in the air , a sure sign of Christmas around the corner. Still no change to the last forecast from over here, charts still have a mild period for Southern Britain , less so for Northern Britain out to 168t , then a rise of pressure around the British Isles in period 168t-240t . During this period a sharpening of the Scandinavian trough becoming a feature. Longer term charts 10-15 days , showing some very low temps over Scandinavia to develop during this period with possible encroachment into NE Britain. Still a long way off but one that keeps occurring in their own model ( possible Arctic high showing its hand with a developing Ac air mass to advect SW  following the low pressure / trough disruption  as mentioned. This would be a rare feature but one that would deliver real cold, however, as always the British Isles will be close enough for the Atlantic to repel. Still lots  of chopping and changing over the next day or so but that Arctic high seems very persistent.

46971567_10156997280778628_7123983784822702080_n.jpg

Just for a bit of fun for you cold lovers. Much of Europe in the freezer by Mid - December as shown on the GEFS latest Control run, especially Scandinavia . Those are mid -day temps !

untitled.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

Like the ECM run and where it seems to be heading. Lots of very cold air not far away and if the run went out any further I think it would be pulling that cold air into the UK. Overall looks promising for coldies heading into December, very promising indeed !   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

From an article on the met office website

Meteorological winter season

The meteorological winter begins on 1 December 2018 and will end on 28 February 2019.

Astronomical winter season

The astronomical winter begins on 21 December 2018 and ends on 20 March 2019.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/seasons/winter/when-does-winter-start

so going by that winter cannot be over as it has not even begun yet, yes a spell of weather influenced by the Atlantic has moved into the UK but will this continue for the entire upcoming winter?

given the tendency for the GFS to overdo the lows at this time of year / in FI and the fact that we have already seen heights building from scandi > Iceland and over towards Greenland in the past few weeks this could be a possible recurring pattern this winter, (anyone who is so sure that we are headed for a non stop zonal winter perhaps they could provide the lottery numbers too being able to predict things well into the future)

Even tonight's ECM has a signal for above average heights in the arctic 

tempresult_iab9.thumb.gif.0e74b47e12ac1b35d159dc5e99177d57.gif

So in summary 

Is winter over? 

Will there be chances for colder weather to develop this winter?

Should people get hung up on every hr of every model run?

NO (as GP mentioned there is the chance for heights to build to our NE)

So winter is not over, highly unlikely to be zonal all winter and there is the possibility of heights rising to our NE during December.

A song to remember for those that believe it will be zonal all winter.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM ensemble mean at T192:

image.thumb.jpg.b7beaffba067bc4d4c1d4942e9a23a67.jpg

There are indications of, yes, the Arctic high, also maybe south of Greenland, interestingly.  The spread is the most interesting chart, here same time:

image.thumb.jpg.199c9ff3e3d29b0258940c4d15003b83.jpg

The most uncertain area of the entire NH is UK and westerly approach to it.  More rounds to run, this one...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM ensemble mean at T192:

image.thumb.jpg.b7beaffba067bc4d4c1d4942e9a23a67.jpg

There are indications of, yes, the Arctic high, also maybe south of Greenland, interestingly.  The spread is the most interesting chart, here same time:

image.thumb.jpg.199c9ff3e3d29b0258940c4d15003b83.jpg

The most uncertain area of the entire NH is UK and westerly approach to it.  More rounds to run, this one...

The day 10 spread says that Europe in general is going to be much more troughy than the mean shows 

55 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Lol. Personally, I am still reserving judgement. After all, it's just one op run. The ecm ens should be very revealing later - for good or bad. Also like I said above, we need to see that positive run built upon and hopefully improved on in subsequent runs. 

Yeah agree - but at least the ECM has started tracking back- The ECM with a minor tweak in pressure distribution isnt far away from the GFS control -!

also 168 yesterday / 144 today- ECM wedges a ridge in there

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The day 10 spread says that Europe in general is going to be much more troughy than the mean shows 

Indeed, here's the chart at T240:

image.thumb.jpg.83480bff47b3c210a671f946c3ceb2e2.jpg

And it potentially gives the lie to the message some have been posting about high pressure in Europe being a barrier to a cold setup developing for the UK, I think that assumption may be challenged in the next few days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Indeed, here's the chart at T240:

image.thumb.jpg.83480bff47b3c210a671f946c3ceb2e2.jpg

And it potentially gives the lie to the message some have been posting about high pressure in Europe being a barrier to a cold setup developing for the UK, I think that assumption may be challenged in the next few days.

Looks like an inclination towards a S'ly tracking jet to me...certainly not depicting a HP scenario in the 'uncertain zone' there.

• Like 6

Posted
32 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yeah agree - but at least the ECM has started tracking back- The ECM with a minor tweak in pressure distribution isnt far away from the GFS control -!

also 168 yesterday / 144 today- ECM wedges a ridge in there

As BA has just mentioned, the control looks absolutely pukka

pluim_06260_0_12_60.png

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The extended eps mean looks very mobile with a strong Atlantic low anomaly and flat pattern - no sign of high slp over Europe though so cool zonal more likely than mild - the clusters could still be numerous - the control is very cold and quite snowy in the extended with a big sceuro trough and griceland high 

I would say that’s a zonal outlook even if it’s not a classic SW/NE outlook

sounds like a westerly flow with it altering from north westerly to southwesterly if I’m reading you right

Posted
2 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

I realise, some members may have been offended by that post and I apologise. I should have used the term, "toy throwing".

Kind regards,

Tom. :hi:

Hello Tom,

I'm not "offended" it by it at all. I'm not one of those offended easily. 

It's the graphical aspect that irks me a little. "Wrist slitting" is worse and seen it used a lot. 

No worries.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

I would say that’s a zonal outlook even if it’s not a classic SW/NE outlook

sounds like a westerly flow with it altering from north westerly to southwesterly if I’m reading you right

That would be very good for early December. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Temps just getting below and around zero is puka? Or am I reading it wrong?

2M temps Frosty?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Temps just getting below and around zero is puka? Or am I reading it wrong?

If you take the T2M graph & assume its like the GEFS control (500mb heights ) then 0c max is a good temp - remember the wind direction would be NE do for a north facing coastal ( ish ) location like de bilt then the onshore flow would temper any low temps - infact get the flow across the Uk & we could measure similar values away from the East coast

You will only see mega cold debilt ENS when the air mass is due East PC ...

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

8 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

If you take the T2M graph & assume its like the GEFS control (500mb heights ) then 0c max is a good temp - remember the wind direction would be NE do for a north facing coastal ( ish ) location like de bilt then the onshore flow would temper any low temps - infact get the flow across the Uk & we could measure similar values away from the East coast

You will only see mega cold debilt ENS when the air mass is due East PC ...

Good point Steve