Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Yes I'd agree with the above comments.guess it's a standard late autumn early winter set up for the UK .The pretty relentless heights over southern and central Europe are slightly annoying.lets hope the touted change in the atmosphere arrives sooner than later if at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Terrible runs continuing for cold lovers with no sign even of a mid latitude high with low after low piling in. Serious flooding could become a concern over the next few weeks.

The only plus is the Arctic High persisting which may help us out in getting some proper cold in January.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Even I’m struggling to find anything positive in the hunt for cold today . It’s all looking a bit horrid this morning . Time for a break from model watching . Burnt out already .

Honestly mate i am a pretty posiitive poster on here but theres is nothing to get excited about right now from a coldie perspective!!dont care what is showing up in fantasy island cos its exactly that fantasy!!some of the best cold spells ive seen have come around all of a sudden within a week or so!!january 2013 was one of them with the icelandic heights and sliders!!like i said i live in hope charts change for the better in the next few days!!most certainly dont wana go back to the nineties  with all the good charts stayin in fantasy island all throughout winter!!depressing decade that was snowfall wise!!

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

The sheer ferocity of the jet has actually taken me by suprise..

The speed at which these lows are hurtling across the Atlantic is leaving little chance of amplification in the Atlantic sector.

Whats bothering me is the potential colder drier phase is beginning to look like its on shaky ground too!

It also, once again shows either how difficult forecasting is over our neck of the woods....or the Met are useless Only a few days ago the talk was IF the milder westerlies encroach it will be brief...I suspect the next modified text forecast will read IF it turns dryer it will be brief!  I'd love to know what went hopelessly wrong if the latest output verifies. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Cold
5 minutes ago, KTtom said:

It also, once again shows either how difficult forecasting is over our neck of the woods....or the Met are useless Only a few days ago the talk was IF the milder westerlies encroach it will be brief...I suspect the next modified text forecast will read IF it turns dryer it will be brief!  I'd love to know what went hopelessly wrong if the latest output verifies. 

Yes was hoping for drier weather mid December for when friends come over from Spain but just looking wet and windy now. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Think a moaning thread might be needed soon..

The 00z runs are indeed flat zonal dross.

but to be expected for Dec, the 2nd wettest month of the year, behind Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I was hoping the ECM clusters could offer some hope into the forums but um..

1.thumb.png.41d9ebd2978b3c9fa5ee1b554e1b247b.png

2.thumb.png.48167583b452f2ffd90a11fe0d5f6be0.png

6 clusters at T360, height rises where we want them in the minority (5%) at this stage, though given the top two clusters are only 25% that doesn't give much confidence to the flatter, Atlantic outcome either. Basically, the models are struggling and quite literally anything could happen.

I'm not giving up all hope on Mid-December just yet, we were expecting wild swings in the outputs and that's what we're seeing. Shannon Entropy is at an all time high, given no real signal for either outcome on the EPS/GEFS anybody claiming "zonal" is a done deal should be a little more cautious, the models could flip back to cold on the next few runs quite easily.

EDIT:

EPO predicted to turn negative as we go into December, that'll create a wave in the jet across America, troughing along the Eastern Seaboard and that's likely in term invigorating the Atlantic jet stream

EPO.thumb.png.5368e8dbe2007f7d5e930387fb0066a6.png

NAO turns positive as a result and we see our Atlantic themed weather

NAO.thumb.png.1be813739066b8f3751a460b82b273e4.png

Signs the EPO wont be negative for too long, however - So I think people calling for weeks and weeks of Atlantic driven weather are likely to be wrong. Patience...

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Even though I,m a fully fledged cold an snow lover. I find it strange that people are bemoaning the current output. 

For the majority of lowland England December seven times out of ten is an Autumn month. Of the the other three in any decade two might be mainly dry but frosty and one might have a snowy feel. Just occasionally once in fifty years or so you might get a Dec 81 or Dec 2010 scenario. 

It's is a far better approach at the start of meteorological winter to expect December to be on mild and stormy side because that is more often than not the way it is. Treat any wintriness in lowland England as bonus to be savoured when it occurs. Not an expectation every time the calendar ticks over to Dec 1st.

It worth remembering that our long lasting winters of legend 47,63,79 etc didn't really get properly in to their stride until late December at the earliest. Worth rembering to that a week before the winter if 1947 started it was 14c  across Southern England.

I know the above gets repeated a lot by us oldies that lived through them but that,s because it,s true.

Don,t give up on winter or thinks it over just because of a week or two of westerly cross in early December 

Very true - I remember Christmas 1986 was a wet and mild affair. We all know what happened the following month

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

And the near continent continues to cool awaiting for conditions to align as we move through December.

GP et al must wonder if anyone actually reads their posts.

When some of the NWP show cold for a few days it's nailed and when it shows Zonal it's nailed on.

Let the polar field reorganize itself and then we move forward

Even the pros forecasts are fluid so let's take a "chill " pill and let things unfold.

Screenshot_20181128-110826_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181128-111934_Chrome.jpg

Spot on! There are one or 2 posters that will feel like a dog with 2 dangly`s reading this mornings models

The models are so volatile at the moment and lets not forget the weather we are seeing now is typical autumn fare I wouldn`t bet against it all looking different again this time tomorrow based on previous experience only!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

All going rather daft in here this morning, methinks...Anyone would think it's the fault of the legendary 'one or two posters', that the models are currently indicating something of a poo-fest, over the coming days?

It's weather folks, and it does as it will. Resistance if futile!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Ensembles quite a mixed back going forward with a huge amount of spread starting relatively early on, however there's a few ensembles clustering towards colder solutions later in the run.

GEFS.thumb.png.f51e2631bb9cb7006aa45549367db03c.png

Uncertainty is so high anybody claiming zonal is a done deal should maybe prepare for a face full of egg..

EDIT:

These are yesterdays. Wetterzentrale still absolutely sucks

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

As already pointed out by @tight isobar the 06z para, the better verifying one, indicates more in the way of amplification moving forward. Check it out and cheer yourselves up a bit.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Ensembles quite a mixed back going forward with a huge amount of spread starting relatively early on, however there's a few ensembles clustering towards colder solutions later in the run.

GEFS.thumb.png.f51e2631bb9cb7006aa45549367db03c.png

Uncertainty is so high anybody claiming zonal is a done deal should maybe prepare for a face full of egg..

They're rubbish.

Diagramme GEFS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
52 minutes ago, Spanish Dani said:

Yes was hoping for drier weather mid December for when friends come over from Spain but just looking wet and windy now. 

Welcome to Britain in Autumn...!

Always wonder how the Romans felt - try Northumbria - charecter building.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

They're rubbish.

Diagramme GEFS

Rubbish....???

There as mixed out-and @odds as the ops !!!!

As we stand!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
35 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Rubbish....???

There as mixed out-and @odds as the ops !!!!

As we stand!

How many get the -8c isotherm in - a big fat zero.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I was hoping the ECM clusters could offer some hope into the forums but um..

1.thumb.png.41d9ebd2978b3c9fa5ee1b554e1b247b.png

2.thumb.png.48167583b452f2ffd90a11fe0d5f6be0.png

6 clusters at T360, height rises where we want them in the minority (5%) at this stage, though given the top two clusters are only 25% that doesn't give much confidence to the flatter, Atlantic outcome either. Basically, the models are struggling and quite literally anything could happen.

I completely agree with your assessment - the ECM is turning to the Atlantic driven option. Just one caveat for me is that the ECM has seriously struggled with the period 6th-11th October, so I'm hesitant to back the ultra Atlantic option just yet.

• Like 5