Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

UKMO has a very healthy looking Arctic high at day 7

UN144-21.GIF?27-05

Ideally it would be better placed nearer to us but not complaining.

GFS for the same period still wants to stubbornly build pressure to our South. Uninspiring run it has to be said.

gfsnh-0-144.png

ICON builds a formidable block to the East, just needs an Atlantic ridge to slam the door on the Atlantic.

iconnh-0-180.png?27-00

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS parallel 144 better than GFS 00z Op

gfsnh-0-144.png

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Nothing obvious on the ec46 out to week 5 to raise the excitement of the coldies .......

How consistent is ec46 in your opinion?  Did it pick up on the extreme heat in summer? 

Edited by ArHu3
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, booferking said:

Gefs have took a clear step away from blocking the majority are zonally from start to finish low after low I'm afraid..

Not too worried about that at the moment as I feel the signal for blocking is pretty strong still overall but it would be nice to see them trending toward blocking.

It is fair to say there is no cold signal as of yet though but I guess that can't really come until the ensembles get to grips with the blocking should it happen.

I'm not convinced either way as far as cold tbh though I do expect at least mid lat blocking to form near end 1st week Dec and a pattern change from zonal.

Time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

8 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Not too worried about that at the moment as I feel the signal for blocking is pretty strong still overall but it would be nice to see them trending toward blocking.

It is fair to say there is no cold signal as of yet though but I guess that can't really come until the ensembles get to grips with the blocking should it happen.

I'm not convinced either way as far as cold tbh though I do expect at least mid lat blocking to form near end 1st week Dec and a pattern change from zonal.

Time will tell.

Lets just say i'm glad its only the 27th of November Mucka because the NWP seems to be going from bad to worse at the moment.

Ive been around long enough to know things can change quite quickly but at this juncture i'm getting a feeling of deja vu in so far as Decembers pattern is concerned.

On a slightly more positive note BBC RAW data which i think is derived from mogreps is going for settling down from the 5th of Dec .

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
19 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Lets just say i'm glad its only the 27th of November Mucka because the NWP seems to be going from bad to worse at the moment.

Ive been around long enough to know things can change quite quickly but at this juncture i'm getting a feeling of deja vu in so far as Decembers pattern is concerned.

On a slightly more positive note BBC RAW data which i think is derived from mogreps is going for settling down from the 5th of Dec .

on the whole i agree although 0z para decent.

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Deja Vu i can concur para v what happen last week

gfs-2018112200-0-6.png

gfs-0-324.png

Edited by booferking
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

The model rollercoaster is going full steam I see 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

That ECM from yesterday with that trans-Arctic-ridging seems to have disappeared and its gone back to usual today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That ECM from yesterday with that trans-Arctic-ridging seems to have disappeared and its gone back to usual today.

Like i said, NWP going from bad to worse if its dry or cold you want.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, ArHu3 said:

How consistent is ec46 in your opinion?  Did it pick up on the extreme heat in summer? 

the mean (which we see) is fairly consistent beyond week 4 as it generally tends to climatology ........ I usually take note of week 3 (which has some possibilities) and week 4 (which doesn’t though the clusters could be anticyclonic across us) 

just a part of the puzzle 

• Thanks 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Strat Vortex was the strongest in recorded history for the time of year at one point, still no downwelling..

Largely thanks to continued heat flux from the Troposphere up into the Strat

Last year? Last year it was record week until it picked up strength mid to late December 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
22 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Ensembles are a bit disappointing. Massive uncertainty after day 6 but inwouod like to see more cold options. 

8CAC2FC0-B5DF-4525-B25F-3C09A90A01D1.png

Give it time - The period of interest isn’t in range yet

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

To be honest the whole output is dissaponting at the moment. I invested in outside lights this year for the run up to Christmas based on the Mets predictions of a dry settled spell from early December.. now it's looking like a transient area of high pressure before the wind and rain returns for Christmas. Currently looking like a bulk standard December on the way...help from the strat needed again this year?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Weathizard said:

Vortex setting up just where we want it on the ECM... not! Iberian heights also prominent 

B9D4B1AE-61B8-41E6-BF22-F0575559BB76.png

The last few ecm op runs have taken the main chunk of the pv to the Canadian side. Not good for us. Especially when the Siberian high is acting like a hermit. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, booferking said:

Gefs have took a clear step away from blocking the majority are zonally from start to finish low after low I'm afraid..

Completely different from 6 hours previously then when we were advised of the complete opposite! So much inconsistency I don’t know what to think. 

Best to take a step back and look at the bigger picture methinks. Personally I’m keeping an eye on all the strat warming talk as that would be a game changer. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

A case of spot the difference with regards to day number one and day 10 on the Ecm overnight run. Atlantic influence still very evident out to day 10, at least, with north western areas more prone yet again to any wind and rain. Still, as the more knowledgeable in here have already stressed the timeframe of interest with regards to cold weather prospects is from mid-dec onwards. Let's just pray they're bang on the money with this theory...

nov 28 chart.JPG

dec 7 chart.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Based on what?

15-20th December < That’s the timeframe for the pattern switch.

Overnight model runs, EC46, BBC forecast, Met forecast, ENS....not much really

• Like 2