Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
1 hour ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

Whilst the most of us wait for cold, at least the weather doesn't look boring, with frequent bouts of wind and rain crossing the country for the next week or so. Luvvly Jubbly.

Let's agree to disagree!

If we can't have cold and snow then sunny and dry is the next best option.  Wet and windy is horrible!!

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I disagree, myself and several others have been saying for a few days that the models would soon switch to increasingly colder/more blocked solutions and that's exactly what appears to be happening.

Sure, no real consistency on how the cold/blocking sets up but there doesn't need to be, the general trend towards blocking is what we've been waiting for and today, the first real signs of it showing up.

I personally would urge caution when looking at such charts in the unreliable time frame. We have just gone through a period of very frustrating model watching with people sharing 'Wintry' synoptic in FL, but as we now, this was not the outcome, far from it. So I think it is just and reasonable to have such level of scepticism when viewing charts far into the future.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
20 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I disagree, myself and several others have been saying for a few days that the models would soon switch to increasingly colder/more blocked solutions and that's exactly what appears to be happening.

Sure, no real consistency on how the cold/blocking sets up but there doesn't need to be, the general trend towards blocking is what we've been waiting for and today, the first real signs of it showing up.

I guess that, at the end of the day, whether or not you and I agree, or disagree, won't matter: the weather will do what the weather will do...Resistance is futile!:santa-emoji:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Some good news though, the parallel is a stonker.

gfsnh-0-240_cox0.png

The low coming out of Newfoundland looks to be stopping the high going further north on this run so close to the real cold air

gfsnh-1-264.thumb.png.ae48762597286a88a2518e086c8b7912.pnggfsnh-1-300.thumb.png.1655f4c13683006ed0b29a2a284cf90a.png

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I guess that, at the end of the day, whether or not you and I agree, or disagree, won't matter: the weather will do what the weather will do...Resistance in futile!

I always got the impression Tamara and Glacier point were in control

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The low coming out of Newfoundland looks to be stopping the high going further north on this run so close to the real cold air

gfsnh-1-264.thumb.png.ae48762597286a88a2518e086c8b7912.pnggfsnh-1-300.thumb.png.1655f4c13683006ed0b29a2a284cf90a.png

The problem is by 300 the low to the S of Greenland is moving East too fast and may mean the cold air to the East cant make it to our shores - a shame because at one stage that run looked like a Jan 1987 run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GEM decent at T240, really significant change on the models for this 12z set, as many of us were waiting for, it is just that now the models can see past the previous pattern change that led to the Atlantic dominated weather we are about to experience...if that makes sense!

image.thumb.jpg.aef87d8cb5df1ed0cd8443036e8d21f2.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I guess that, at the end of the day, whether or not you and I agree, or disagree, won't matter: the weather will do what the weather will do...Resistance in futile!:santa-emoji:

The difference is i suppose - you are measured and wont kid yourself so the pram game wont start when it becomes apparent it aint going to happen, where as with me in years gone by and a lot of others still.................

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

A few things I expect in the coming days;

1. NO consistency between runs in FI. Likely to see varying cold solutions/mild solutions (very high Shannon Entropy)

2. No solid ensemble support, but likely a downwards trend emerging at the end of the runs by Fri/Sat

3. Cold solutions not really coming out of FI for a while

I still think the models are being too progressive with the blocking/cold. I think 15th-20th is when the switch will happen, the signal is there, they're just perhaps a little fast with it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

The difference is i suppose - you are measured and wont kid yourself so the pram game wont start when it becomes apparent it aint going to happen, where as with me in years gone by and a lot of others still.................

My teddy has been known to take a flying leap too, feb!

Image result for superted

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Meanwhile, GFSP brings probably a foot of snow to wherever the Atlantic/Cold boundary ends up

Feet.thumb.png.ddd51b02b15b7bbb5a957527989ed735.png

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I still can't really read the models but from observing the model thread I can read the certainty of a cold spell or the hopelessness of the situation (when you know who starts talking that we just need a little shortwave there, I can tell the situation is pretty dire or when another person abandons the model thread cold is coming...)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Meanwhile, GFSP brings probably a foot of snow to wherever the Atlantic/Cold boundary ends up

Feet.thumb.png.ddd51b02b15b7bbb5a957527989ed735.png

on the anniversary of last years snow! still remember the excitement on here a week before and right up to the event! slider near enough perfectly placed for my location, 50 miles further north, then here would have been sweet spot for over a foot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
17 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Some good news though, the parallel is a stonker.

gfsnh-0-240_cox0.png

Feb... if the easterly come off on or around T+192 and beyond 

On the 12z would it be colder than this easterly we've just had.

• Like 2