Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Walsall Wood Snow said:

You have said recently though that you're expecting January to be the month of this coming Winter. If you still think that's the case hopefully what it's like in early December shouldn't matter too much?

Indeed 

Just an observation

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Another theory i have Aaron is that lately we seem to have high SSTs in the North Pacific - the PDO region if you like, promoting high pressure in W USA so the trough drops so low in E USA, then fires up the Jet to prevent us getting similar over here.

This is a concern for the winter as we had a similar profile in 2013 which fired up the jet stream and gave us that atrocious winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Don said:

This is a concern for the winter as we had a similar profile in 2013 which fired up the jet stream and gave us that atrocious winter!

A point so good it needed to be made  4 times!!!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

A point so good it needed to be made  4 times!!!

Not sure what happened there!!  Apologies!

You’re correct it’s a good point though 

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I honestly don't understand how we are all getting so fractious about the lack of snow-prospects...in November! It's hardly as if snowfall, in December, impacts on future events, is it?

Indeed, some of our most memorable winters were been-and-gone long before the end of January: 1981-2 and 2010-11 stand out as perfect examples of this. On the other hand, quite a few early pre-Christmas falls have been followed by indifferent winters: 1965, 1970, 1988? Then again, Decembers of 1962 and 1978 had nothing out of the ordinary...Before the Big Day.

Don't worry about it. Do what I do: watch Nordic noir, and get plenty of lamppost-watching practise...?:cold:

• Like 8

Posted
5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

One weather organization has already predicted a similar winter to 2013-2014, new ice age on hold i think.

Glad I live 400 feet above sea level then.  Which weather organisation is this?

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Looks good if you happen to live in the far N of Norway...

Though I'm liking the look of HP ridging up towards the UK...if we can't have snowy, I'd rather have it not rainy and damp right now.

Wash out your mouth CreweCold for personally speaking I find the whole notion of a pressure rise from the south distasteful and downright nauseating, especially at this time of year. If we can't have snowy, I'd rather a turbulent Atlantic and an unstable atmosphere, far more preferable than being stuck under a boring Euro Slug high bringing total nothingness... :whistling:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Newberryone said:

Wash out your mouth CreweCold for personally speaking I find the whole notion of a pressure rise from the south distasteful and downright nauseating, especially at this time of year. If we can't have snowy, I'd rather a turbulent Atlantic and an unstable atmosphere, far more preferable than being stuck under a boring Euro Slug high bringing total nothingness... :whistling:

Agree with quoted post fully! bring on the euro high, zonality wind and rain sucks

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, Newberryone said:

Yeah I also think this, I’d rather some stormy weather than just cold foggy calm stuff every day

Posted

gfseu-0-36.png?18

Gfs 18z suddenly comes with a little storm in only 36h, hopefully it will shake the cards a bit in our favor 

Edited by ArHu3
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Landmass will undoubtedly play a part, as discussed. However, I'd be shocked if what we are witnessing recently is wholly a landmass issue.

I think it's down to two things, Crewe: the depth of cold, at source, and the lack of any open sea-track, thereafter...It can't be a coincidence that some of the UK's very coldest uppers originate from Siberia, in late winter, when open water is at its minimum extent...?

Posted
2 minutes ago, shaky said:

Was that not there already on the 12z run

gfs-0-42.png?12

I was just trying to grab the corresponding 12z but it's a bit hard on mobile 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
9 minutes ago, Nick F said:

The above tweet backs the idea of a coherent MJO through phases that support a return of blocking, usually P8-1 translates to height rises to our NE initially as we head through early to mid December, though perhaps not until mid December given the lag, before blocking perhaps retrogrades. Lets hope there's deeper cold tap into this time. At least the upcoming mobile, mild and unsettled spell may not have legs, with more and more hints from the operationals and ensembles that something maybe afoot in line with what I've just mentioned.

Forgive the naivety of this question but how does that compare to 2009 where a very zonal spell in mid November acted as a trigger to much colder conditions about 10 days later?

Edited by JeffC
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks very good at 225 , if we could somehow rid ourselves of that low north of Iceland then the emerging azores high could link with the arctic high and bingo!!

Probably won't happen but ..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Is this now the earliest run we've seen the potential for the Arctic high, pub run T222:

image.thumb.jpg.1ffe117a46a18af464f5ab611b8eab4c.jpg

this looks like being the next step, the one after to where still uncertain.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Looks very good at 225 , if we could somehow rid ourselves of that low north of Iceland then the emerging azores high could link with the arctic high and bingo!!

Probably won't happen but ..

gfsnh-0-252_blw3.png

Posted
3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

People say it's about location...but not sure I agree 100%. America has a large coastline facing out towards the Pacific Ocean yet they can still get frigid uppers pushing a long way south. It's not just about ocean vs landmass it's about where troughing is repeatedly dropping and where ridging is setting up. Over the past decade we're seeing the trough dropping repeatedly a long way S over there. There is no reason why we couldn't see the same thing happening here...but we just don't for whatever reason.

The only perfectly aligned trough dropping over the UK in recent memory was December 2010...and that brought us some of the conditions we would expect with such a set up...

North Atlantic Drift has a huge amount to play in that as our weather is western driven usually. Hence our usual weather in winter has regular RPM patterns that are diluted by warmer seas. So location has obviously a lot to do with it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Going the RIGHT way in FI on this run...jet buckling, and WAA heading straight through the UK. Could pump up a Scandinavian heights deeper into FI

gfsnh-0-276.png?18

• Like 6