Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
8 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Just a personal view but this is the more likely way to cold rather than looking east in my view. Not saying it will happen but the chances of deep cold, are more likely early in the season from a northerly outbreak initially.

Not sure about deep cold from a northerly John .... the most likely way we get sub -10c uppers to the majority of the uk is via a left over cold pool, trapped beneath a building scandi ridge and being advected west  ........ can’t see a northerly delivering deep cold in the first half of December.  Tbh, I wouldn’t like to have a stab at how any re amplification sets up re nw European surface conditions 

im pretty sure a train is coming .........just have no idea what platform it’s leaving from and how many carriages it will have by the time it gets here ! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Not sure about deep cold from a northerly John .... the most likely way we get sub -10c uppers to the majority of the uk is via a left over cold pool, trapped beneath a building scandi ridge and being advected west  ........ can’t see a northerly delivering deep cold in the first half of December.  Tbh, I wouldn’t like to have a stab at how any re amplification sets up re nw European surface conditions 

im pretty sure a train is coming .........just have no idea what platform it’s leaving from and how many carriages it will have by the time it gets here ! 

I would prefer a Northern rail timing with a Richard Branson First Class carriage quality!  -  in other words it takes ages to get here but at least its clean and comfortable when it does, we dont want an express timing but without carrying the actual goods like the one in your previous image thats just arrived.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I really, really wish we had someone on here with access to MOGREPS, it’d be great to see what thats suggesting given the Met Offcie updates really haven’t backed down from the Atlantic being temporary.

I mean we can see that just looking at the models/ensembles we have access to but still! 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I really, really wish we had someone on here with access to MOGREPS, it’d be great to see what thats suggesting given the Met Offcie updates really haven’t backed down from the Atlantic being temporary.

I mean we can see that just looking at the models/ensembles we have access to but still! 

Its probably the GLOSEA5 that they're going on, mid December is out of range for the MOGREPS.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

06z swingometers

image.thumb.png.a22edd9882581bd2d09c39330cb59cc8.pngimage.thumb.png.a5cb9d5e3134a9855f627f023ed0c339.png 

A mild set for the start of December on the 06z but a fair contrast to the 00z so a lot to be resolved? The 00z had a lot of anticyclonic runs for the start of December only for the signal to be dropped this time. For December 6th plenty of runs on the cold side but nothing spectacular yet. Globally all the anomalous cold is being taken by Eurasia and Greenland. The odd cold foray for the UK on the back of passing lows. Some deep low pressure systems in the ens.

ANOM2m_f168_equir.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here are the two GFS predictions for T+384:

Netweather GFS ImageNetweather GFS Image

As you can clearly see, the para has the Azores-Euro ridge in a somewhat 'less favourable' orientation, as far as the UK is concerned...?

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Got to disagree with you b, my memory may be faulty but I am sure we have had -10 850 mb values from northerlies.

Had not noticed the post from TWS when I posted!

this link to see how that incredible spell of cold developed

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/reanalysis.php?uur=0000&var=1&nmaps=24&map=1&model=avn&jaar=2010&maand=11&dag=19

Edited by johnholmes
adding link to charts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Got to disagree with you b, my memory may be faulty but I am sure we have had -10 850 mb values from northerlies.

Had not noticed the post from TWS when I posted!

And when it does happen...GFS Archive Image  Bob's your auntie. To be PC!:cold:

• Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I remember it well, snow on several separate days for Manchester Airport, great fun trying to get it right and keep the airport open!

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I remember it well, snow on several separate days for Manchester Airport, great fun trying to get it right and keep the airport open!

And i bet you succeeded, yet on Sunday Feb 1st 2009 after half an inch of snow - the runway closed - my how times have changed in this country - and not for the better either.

Posted

It has to be said that up to 14 days out the weather does not look, to me, to suggest any oset of deep cold. Beyond that is, as the saying goes, 'above my pay grade'!

Why do I say this=because of the upper air predictions showing nothing out to about 14 days that would allow any prolonged cold to set in.

links below

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
7 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

It has to be said that up to 14 days out the weather does not look, to me, to suggest any oset of deep cold. Beyond that is, as the saying goes, 'above my pay grade'!

Why do I say this=because of the upper air predictions showing nothing out to about 14 days that would allow any prolonged cold to set in.

links below

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

I would tend to agree - Very unlikely to see deep cold in the next 15 days, stormy perhaps but drier towards day 15 as high pressure builds. 

Days 15-25 are where my interest currently rests

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

We've made a change to the way images can be embedded into posts, only uploaded images will show now - more info here:

If you have any questions about this, please ask in the thread linked above, not in here.

Edited by Paul
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
56 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I was born in Dec 81.

Parents wont shut up about how cold it was, Nappies freezing, Drifts down the road, Kids having to walk up hill in 10ft snow both to and from school. Etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

The 12s pretty uninspiring if I'm honest, this probably the best chart from the lot of them, GFS strat at T384, seemingly picking up on what yesterday's FV3 showed i.e. a potentially more significant warming down the line:

image.thumb.jpg.86c62ae03571ca910873a87f2d3844e6.jpg

Otherwise GEM was awful, UKMO was still reasonably amplified at end of its short run, and GFS flirted with building some blocks before deciding it couldn't be ar*ed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

And when it does happen...GFS Archive Image  Bob's your auntie. To be PC!

Hate to be a pedant but that was no lower than -8c over Scotland ....... I was talking below -10 c and that v unusual from a proper northerly in December .......

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Hate to be a pedant but that was no lower than -8c over Scotland ....... I was talking below -10 c and that v unusual from a proper northerly in December .......

LOL Blue.

GFS turning on the zonal turbo tonight, ukmo looks more amplified out to the east so i'll not be losing any sleep over GFS..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Hi guys although models are not showing much wintery outputs at the moment I think it's mid winter onward when the fun and games will start looking at the seasonal models on gavs weather vids. I posted a cuppal of these recently so I will share this 1 from gavs weather vids and it's last seasonal models update before the winter kicks in and I must say it's quite exciting from jan onward. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

While waiting what ECMWF brings I was looking where the block meets Atlantic energy next Monday/Tuesday. It will be right over my home region in Slovakia. GFS has around 12C spread on its ensemble suite with just 3 day to go. Uncertainty at its best  

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
35 minutes ago, jules216 said:

While waiting what ECMWF brings I was looking where the block meets Atlantic energy next Monday/Tuesday. It will be right over my home region in Slovakia. GFS has around 12C spread on its ensemble suite with just 3 day to go. Uncertainty at its best  

image.png

I know!  For Warsaw on the 1st of December the spread of 850hpa temps on the ensembles is from -15 to +6!

• Like 1