Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I can cast iron guarantee who i know would be posting about the Icon and GFS 18z runs but he's on a plane half way across the Atlantic - big Westward correction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

I think there's a storm coming in, but maybe slower than earlier runs, GFS 18z at T108:

image.thumb.jpg.78f51ce21f47883306130ad55269ef92.jpg

Yes,  but the NH picture looks anything but zonal...

We just have to sit this low out, and maybe one more.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I think there's a storm coming in, but maybe slower than earlier runs, GFS 18z at T108:

image.thumb.jpg.78f51ce21f47883306130ad55269ef92.jpg

Yes,  but the NH picture looks anything but zonal...

We just have to sit this low out, and maybe one more.

Going to be the usual uncertainty with this low as its origin is in the tropics in the Atlantic and how it deepens and its final position will be down to the jet stream and the mixing with that tropical air and the colder air. 

Either way, the potential for Wednesday to be a disruptive day is certainly there and the next named storm could be making the headlines soon, more runs are needed to firm the details up. 

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I can cast iron guarantee who i know would be posting about the Icon and GFS 18z runs but he's on a plane half way across the Atlantic - big Westward correction.

True, but it's an inevitable storm, only slightly changing the outcome. In fact, the heights don't rise as well into Greenland after as a result. Not every change is a positive one.

Posted
1 minute ago, Rocheydub said:

True, but it's an inevitable storm, only slightly changing the outcome. In fact, the heights don't rise as well into Greenland after as a result. Not every change is a positive one.

Ridge nearer to Greenland at 156 than it was on the 12z and ridge to the East nearer.

• Like 3

Posted

In any case though - i'm not really interested in what happens in the first part of the run, im actually far more interested in the GEFS  and EPS ensemble means/clusters at 300+

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

OK, pub run T192:

image.thumb.jpg.2eab1c9c4d2edf0cf65ae9a3c7cc4d17.jpg

Is that ridge way to our east going to head towards and connect with a polar high?  I think so, would fit with other output this evening.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

OK, pub run T192:

image.thumb.jpg.2eab1c9c4d2edf0cf65ae9a3c7cc4d17.jpg

Is that ridge way to our east going to head towards and connect with a polar high?  I think so, would fit with other output this evening.

2 wave squeeze and subsequent cross polar flow could happen on this run, watch the Atlantic and Pacific sectors.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, thetipster said:

GFS 3D POLAR VOTEX + ENSEMBLES

POLAR VTEX.gif

gif.gif

What is the potential temperature please? or what is its implications?, im used to looking at those 3D strat charts with GPH.

Posted
15 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

2 wave squeeze and subsequent cross polar flow could happen on this run, watch the Atlantic and Pacific sectors.

Yep, looks possible, some tidying up will be needed over the polar region, but quite possible from here. GFS T240:

image.thumb.jpg.cb1f8bf55cca4d85f39b16b7f0f50ee9.jpg

Edit, T348, the vortex might be dismembered  from closer to home.

image.thumb.jpg.5350676a21b70d1c553cea26498b22c3.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tips
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

What is the potential temperature please? or what is its implications?, im used to looking at those 3D strat charts with GPH.

just showing the uncertainty of the pv

• Thanks 1

Posted

Clusters D14

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018112312_348.

All I get from this is ridging likely pushing northwards in the Atlantic between 6th and 9th December, which suggests a downturn in temperatures for the UK once again, but chances of big cold still on the lower side - for now. 

• Like 6

Posted
46 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Ridge nearer to Greenland at 156 than it was on the 12z and ridge to the East nearer.

Fair point, and I probably should have pointed out, I was remarking from the last run I watched, which was the 00z. As a shift worker, I'm often on a different planet to most on here! 

Fact remains though, and I doubt it's up for debate, we are in for zonal after this cooler spell. We are also not in line for anything like what we all want (on this thread) for the foreseeable future. Yes, FI and PV disruption is very eye catching, but we've all been down this road before. Hopefully it's as productive as last Spring!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Fair point, and I probably should have pointed out, I was remarking from the last run I watched, which was the 00z. As a shift worker, I'm often on a different planet to most on here! 

Fact remains though, and I doubt it's up for debate, we are in for zonal after this cooler spell. We are also not in line for anything like what we all want (on this thread) for the foreseeable future. Yes, FI and PV disruption is very eye catching, but we've all been down this road before. Hopefully it's as productive as last Spring!!!

No, in the next 10 days probably 15, there is zero chance of what we all want on here, hence why i said that i am far more worried about the ens mean, 10-15d anomaly charts and the strat and teleconnections, caveat being that the near time charts don't change significantly enough to scupper the long term ambitions of course.

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Clusters D14

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018112312_348.

All I get from this is ridging likely pushing northwards in the Atlantic between 6th and 9th December, which suggests a downturn in temperatures for the UK once again, but chances of big cold still on the lower side - for now. 

FV3 18z bang on what I would have expected from these clusters 

gfs-0-324.png?18

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, swilliam said:

Flat?

This is the mean at 348.

gens-21-1-348.thumb.png.1e45af5bb516b4e5f7b9adf45369db6f.png

This is flat compared to previous runs.

gensnh-21-1-384_beg1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
31 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Underwhelming ending to the day with a flat GEFS.

Looks brutally cold for my location towards the end of the run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

Interesting GFS Fl with height rises over or just North if the UK and great for the USA which i suspect would be very cold! In short to medium turn with Low pressure to our West for a lot of it! Probably quite unsetted 

Edited by Dave Kightley

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

Yes it's certainly looking like north america is getting a big bite of the cherry but also with sniffing of a Scandi high in the FI, it's far away but appears to be appearing more frequently. Could be a trend, could not. I expect my locale to be going right into the freezer that first week of dec

• Like 3