Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted

GFS wanting to build a strong PV on the 00z run..

gfsnh-0-240.png?0

No thanks GFS.

Hints of a warming in the strat at the same time though

gfsnh-10-252.png?0

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

ECM 00z run also has us under SW’lys from the 27th of this month until the end of the run, with a strong portion of PV settling in over Greenland. 

Straw clutching time, although it’s looking like it will get pushed away, there are still heights hanging around (albeit eastern) Scandinavia. Strong Siberian ++ heights too. 

Not looking great at all in the medium term from a coldie perspective!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Not looking particularly good this morning as others have said - looks like an actual zonal period may set in with the attendant wind rain and mildness.

Met update is still very bullish about blocked conditions returning as we head through Decemeber. You don't get that feeling this morning, but they must know something we don't!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Medium term now strong odds on for a milder very unsettled spell. Very difficult to envisage this now not occuring. East coast US gain, our pain...

Yesterday I pointed out the only realistic conceivable way I could see of avoiding this - getting enough vertical WAA though the UK / just east of the Meridian at around D5. This could allow the block, just, to prevail over the Atlantic trough. Even then there would still have to be a short spell of SWerlies (that is nailed on) but only a few days as opposed to what could be 7 - 10 days+

It was only member 4 on the 12z and it is only really member 7 on the 00z. So less than 5%.

GFSP07EU00_132_1.thumb.png.b449aa56500c9b1e0d9b67d46c677099.png

Leads to...

GFSP07EU00_216_1.thumb.png.905a74f72dcebe4690b405cd61de498d.png

Leads to...

GFSP07EU00_324_1.thumb.png.fc035ca3073c1dd944b142f61c3cc469.png

• Like 2

Posted

Well for sure we are indeed looking at an unsettled phase, i might be clutching at the old straws a little but i feel day by day 10 on the EC the jet is about to start digging into Europe and allowing for a more WNW direction of attack.

Posted

has the cfs ever been correct at that time scale.Please just this once.

Meto still insisting cold blocked weather will return IF the Atlantic breaks out.

Maybe the models are STILL too progressive ,it’s still not in the reliable time frame this low pressure system.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

ECM looking pretty damn zonal too

AC8466B4-0844-4624-AB70-BC590607914C.thumb.png.b0b94cb4123ddeb4d2333d1a8726bde0.png

It is, but i have a feeling this unsettled blip will be just that, a blip.

I suspect as i have just posted, a number of EC ens will be showing height rises over scandy (not a block ), but enough to see some energy digging into Europe.

Then again iv'e just finished a 60 hour week on night shift  so could be going delirious!! Perhaps Blue will be on later to offer some thoughts if this is feasible ..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Interesting thoughts from some very knowledgable posters regarding the fact that even at short range the interaction of the low and the jet stream may not be correctly modelled. I wouldn't be surprised if the currently predicted progression of the low has been overdone. Will be interesting to see how the next few days pan out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It is, but i have a feeling this unsettled blip will be just that, a blip.

I suspect as i have just posted, a number of EC ens will be showing height rises over scandy (not a block ), but enough to see some energy digging into Europe.

Agreed, as per my post above I think that there'll be some interesting twists and turns in the next few days!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

Well I’m still on the hunt for cold and in the GEFS this morning I’ve found some nice looking charts. And the best thing is they’re only at 384hrs out!!!!!!

8B5BE77F-0F2B-439B-874E-9C62DD71201B.png

653FC16D-BC25-4104-ABED-B155E5797926.png

851C5476-8404-4834-B8B4-D23739C1EB31.png

953FC641-1360-4164-BDEA-02CD69705FCC.png

9D0C5D9C-1212-4A44-ACF3-62F43CAAAA69.png

15B2BFD9-D649-45DB-B893-0B6554077DA5.png

And this is only at 348hrs!!!!

What could possibly go wrong?

EC8BC55B-B151-4CD7-BF47-FDCC6CEEE10F.png

Edited by Decemberof2010
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

24 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I’ll leave this here as an antidote for coldies who have just seen the models ...

894EC6F0-2E79-4B4B-AD61-29190C4DF070.jpeg

Silly question, but how do you access those time frames on Meteociel? Cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
20 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

has the cfs ever been correct at that time scale.Please just this once.

Meto still insisting cold blocked weather will return IF the Atlantic breaks out.

Maybe the models are STILL too progressive ,it’s still not in the reliable time frame this low pressure system.

I refer back to my comment of yesterday morning. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to get a situation like 2009, with severe flooding switching to cold with frost and snow within a couple of weeks. 

So long as there's no repeat of the flooding experienced by Cumbria then that would be fine by me. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Even my optimism has been dented this morning as once again we fall on the wrong side of things. South westerlies for a time is bad enough. But the real kicker is seeing the PV oranised and strong again and returning to Greenland and setting up shop. Be intresting to see what the MET have that gives them high confidence of blocking in December. Because at present thanks to our Snow charmed American friends the atlantic is fired up and looking stormy. Maybe a SSW can be the hero. Hard not to feel negative on current output

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Silly question, but how do you access those time frames on Meteociel? Cheers

Select ‘CFS Daily’ from the list of models on the left http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=894&mode=0&carte=0&run=10

• Thanks 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Even my optimism has been dented this morning as once again we fall on the wrong side of things. South westerlies for a time is bad enough. But the real kicker is seeing the PV oranised and strong again and returning to Greenland and setting up shop. Be intresting to see what the MET have that gives them high confidence of blocking in December. Because at present thanks to our Snow charmed American friends the atlantic is fired up and looking stormy. Maybe a SSW can be the hero. Hard not to feel negative on current output

Medium-term charts like this morning's Canadian ensembles gives hope I feel...

gem-ens_z500a_nhem_61.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Assuming now that the solution will play out as agreed across the models whereby the Atlantic piles through .....ukmo at day 5 prompted a second glance but the next feature rushing ne in the base of the trough invigorated the system and any idea of a late dive of disruption fails .......

how mobile and for how long ??.

what has caught my eye over the past few runs (ignoring the building gefs mean theme of mid Atlantic ridge late week 2 - note lots of spread but clear predisposition to amplification) is the polar field evolution. The trop vortex is split ..... the rebuild of the Canadian vortex probably a big factor re the renewed Atlantic mobility as some v low heights are transferred back from Asia across to nw Canada. Week 2 sees the Canadian vortex establishing nnw of Hudson’s around Ellesmere Island and the Asian sector transfer east to  ne  Siberia - this leaves a big space for heights to build around Svalbard and north of scandi in general ...... I would expect the retrogressive theme to become more obvious in the modelling as week two progresses. Atlantic retaining a fair amount of mobility at the same time, does that mean the southern arm hits a developing block and rebuilds a scandi ridge or does it run through in our vicinity keeping us unsettled  ..maybe a slow sinking. I suspect the behaviour of the Azores ridge will dictate what transpires for our part of nw Europe. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO + extended is very different to ECM in the way they handle the low next week

ukm2.2018112900_144_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.c44b3d483436e2177dbcf6074c70f725.pngecm2.2018112900_144_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.c13b1dd7b57a2b274366d9953dd21ab7.png

ukm2.2018113000_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.dcc5133d164fe8594d660c5e8cfdc995.pngecm2.2018113000_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.15953a0b0d1a24a44da64bb5232f36f1.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Although most of the models have some sort of tropical maritime solution in the medium term, looking at the overall Northern Hemisphere profile we are nowhere near so many November's I have observed with a pattern established that can often ruin the first half of winter for cold prospects.

It would be no surprise to me if another potential cold spell comes into view as early as the end of next week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves
7 minutes ago, booferking said:

A few days ago we we are wondering if the block would hold today we are wondering if we will get hit with hurricane force winds

Screenshot_20181123-091732_Chrome.jpg

icon-14-120.png

Perhaps short term pain for long term gain, who knows, but what does look a dead cert now and which is often the case in these type of weather setups is that Ireland looks like bearing the brunt of  this upcoming turbulent Atlantic spell with the potential for large volumes of rain driven on by a moisture laden south westerly airflow. Met office here this morning flagging a wet and windy spell from Tuesday onwards...

• Thanks 1

Posted

Morning all

Without wanting to sugar coat it too much we are looking at 7-10 days of Atlantic-dominated weather from the middle of next week. We shouldn't be surprised or assume it's the end of winter or anything like that, We often get a milder spell at the beginning of December so this is just normal pattern shifting and changing.

As to what happens before, we'll start seeing some tantalising offerings in the very far reaches of GFS FI before long - my money (and very nice money it is too) is on a pressure rise from the south and mid latitude blocking in the vicinity of the British Isles so not brilliant for fans of snow but fans of cold and especially frost and fog might get a decent spell under a classic winter inversion.

The PV profile is very different to some more recent winters and that has to be of interest though my concern as always with those who want everything to happen in Greenland is the risk of the west based negative NAO which killed the 2010-11 winter at New Year.

For now, the Atlantic will do its thing until it stops doing it and then we can see if we can get anything out of the next amplification. 

• Like 3