Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted

not even in the reliable time frame yet people insisting atlantic winning through,and METO talking about huge uncertainty next week ,and what happens when the atlantic air hit the cold air?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

I think some people belive we are in late Febuary. My god Winter hasnt even started but apparently its over all ready lol. Shame to see some people biting at other knowledgeable posters also. No one can predict the weather its simple as that we can only go on the information we have and make an educated guess. And i think Steve Murr and Tamara etc deserve more respect to be honest. We already lost many good posters we dont want to lose anymore. Chill people its November a long way to go yet.

no I don't think that at all - winter has yet to really kick off - this last 24 hours could have been an aperitif before the aperitif lol but some have had a few snowflakes, some none at all - but as we read the models right now - it looks as if the 1st 1/12 plus of winter could well be a little on the mild side as we can really only see with great confidence 7 - 10 days out even though the models go out to 14 or so days the 11/12s of winter are still in the balance + March - all the background signals do suggest a cold one - but as complex as the weather can be no one - even the newspapers lol can predict the "3 months of blizzards and freeze" headlines - no matter what they tell you - so right now "winter isn't over" it's still got at least 11/12s or more which we really don't know about and even the 1st 1/12 isn't quite 100% confirmed yet.

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

It’s not a normal year folks. Since that ssw we’ve had all sorts from dry weather....to the summer heat....to a mild and unzonal autumn. The one thing we haven’t seen is typical zonal weather at all, and that’s not likely to change. A low pressure system in isolation shouldn’t be counted as zonality, we are just in the wrong place at the moment. Things will improve through December, you wait and see!

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 9

Posted

Awaiting the ecm not just to see  if the Atlantic wins out but just how strong the block to the east is    still quite a difference in the models at present  the gfs offers no resistance as the low just barrels through  the icon and ukmo show the high being more resilient  thus delaying and slowing the Atlantic incursion  I still believe models are underplaying this block  we shall see 

• Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

not even in the reliable time frame yet people insisting atlantic winning through,and METO talking about huge uncertainty next week ,and what happens when the atlantic air hit the cold air?

Transient hill snow, according to the METO.

• Thanks 1

When it comes to blocking potential, it seems to be the ECM and UKMO that pick up on the signals first, then the GFS jumps on board.

This time it appears to be somewhat the opposite, and so I lack confidence that we will see any real cold before the second week of December. Still hopeful though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

12z swingometers show a small switch back to mild, when the mild air arrives is still up in the air however.... but I'd say its very likely we will see some mild temperatures in the  next 10-14 days (fleeting or sustained? difficult to say). The build up of cold air over Greenland doesn't help and a west based -NAO looks to be developing. Strong SW'lies for a time look to be a possibility.

image.thumb.png.4bd9dfa47535e4cba2a8b33a81524a0b.png

This is reflected by the swingometer from December 6th which looks to be the most predominantly mild yet.

image.thumb.png.8f5c4387b1f29ff0d488a480d1048adf.png

We may have to be patient.... the switch to milder can be seen for the global temperature anomaly chart in 7 days time, UK now back to slightly above average. Plenty of cold to our east, a blocked weather pattern when looking at the NH as a whole but the cold not falling to where we want it - here... not yet anyway.

ANOM2m_f168_equir.png

Global temperature anomaly +0.51C above average despite the low solar activity.

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC ever so slightly more amplified in the Atlantic at 72 than the other big 2..

Yes, better at 144, GFS goes for washout Tuesday, EC like UKMO, decent enough day

ECM1-144.GIF?21-0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Hello folks!

Been lurking and checking the trends and enjoying the banter here. Thanks to everyone for the analysis - looking a bit like the start of summer but where you just want the cold to get on with it and not waste precious time ‘firing up’ (instead of the hot) - but these things do take time...

Hope the recent excitement hasonly waned temporarily and we’re back to some exciting charts soon... missed out last night LOL but only by a frosty whisker (any snow is great - but it’s best when it’s significant )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Not looking past 120 as there really is no point, however it looks as though the Atlantic may win through in about a weeks time but as others have said for how long?

gfsnh-0-120.thumb.png.2ed0063c289f6fd97d8a6d0972abb5ab.pngUN120-21.thumb.GIF.993a1cb6f6457885c1a24c3f0898c519.GIFECH1-120.GIF.thumb.png.50e26a2279061828919fa78e1d475ebf.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
2 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Not looking past 120 as there really is no point, however it looks as though the Atlantic may win through in about a weeks time but as others have said for how long?

gfsnh-0-120.thumb.png.2ed0063c289f6fd97d8a6d0972abb5ab.pngUN120-21.thumb.GIF.993a1cb6f6457885c1a24c3f0898c519.GIFECH1-120.GIF.thumb.png.50e26a2279061828919fa78e1d475ebf.png

Not sure where you see the signs of the Atlantic winning next week from those charts. The Icelandic/Scandi block looks stubborn and although the jet is not exactly southern I would expect any LP systems to be deflected SE somewhat. I am still bouyant about this HP/blocking scenario.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Not sure where you see the signs of the Atlantic winning next week from those charts. The Icelandic/Scandi block looks stubborn and although the jet is not exactly southern I would expect any LP systems to be deflected SE somewhat. I am still bouyant about this HP/blocking scenario.

EC blows the block away by day 8 its over the Ukraine..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Yep, although it just seems a bit odd to me how quick it pushes the block to one side, basically as if it wasn’t there...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Day 8.... once upon a time that was FI...

• Like 1

Posted

the ec op phases the next feature into the atlantic low at day 6 and deepens it quickly ………. that next feature has some warmth in it, hence the oomph it gives the main feature …… if its has that wrong then the main trough wont deepen so much and wont flatten the renewed blocking in the same way …. this op looks to be a cross between the control and op of the 00z run so amidst the uncertainty, it has some credence

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Hence why I said may, however even though I am as much as a coldie as most I am coming round to the fact we may have to endure our friend from the Atlantic before searching out the next cold shot.

ECM

ECH1-144.GIF.thumb.png.c9f79f771b2eb934a5b41f4e6f595379.pngECH1-168.GIF.thumb.png.10be0cf59e53aaf193648199a67465ec.pngECH1-192.GIF.thumb.png.90205ced5373c9a815469790926de79e.png

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Stuie W said:

Day 8.... once upon a time that was FI...

Yes of course.. its still outside reliable but i really think we ought to be accepting the block isnt going to hold...

As a coldie i am hoping it does.. but the evidence is becoming overwhelming that it will be blown away..

• Like 3