Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted

so clear to  some posters on here that atlantic wins through,but huge uncertainty from the MET  regarding next week and wether mild or cold wins out.Hmm who to believe !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
2 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Quite clear that the Atlantic will win the battle with relatively little difficulty.

I agree ..I'd like to see snowy cold conditions but looking at various models .I don't think it's possible just yet

I'm only speaking how I see it.

I don't mind my face absolutely covered in egg ..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Gfs any better?!!!ukmo hasnt changed from this morning to be fair!!even on the 00z you could tell that low was never gona disrupt!!ecm will hopefully confirm this slider saga this evening!!

Posted
10 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

UW144-21.GIF?21-16

A rather large and rounded Low from the UKM

GFs on the other has is as you where but slightly further south in comparison to the 06z Run @96

I've been trying to understand why this random low has ballooned into such a near perfect circular low, with no real jet stream momentum? I think the experts will know more but it is it the combination of the cold air and warm seas? It is a bloomin' shame that the potential has melted away - for now - let's hope it's a passing phase.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
Just now, sorepaw1 said:

I agree ..I'd like to see snowy cold conditions but looking at various models .I don't think it's possible just yet

I'm only speaking how I see it.

I don't mind my face absolutely covered in egg ..

This is exactly how I feel as well, I despise milder conditions but that is where we're heading to at the moment. Even faux cold conditions like frost and fog looks to be at a minimum as well.  If the GFS and ECMWF shows this, then what hope is left for cold lovers?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS does look to disrupt at T144, but at that point it has reached the UK.  I'm in the massive uncertainty camp still at the moment, and there's plenty of hope left for coldies - winter hasn't even started yet!

gfsnh-0-144.thumb.png.0d9b883b9c49c9df6447c3bdefdcf860.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
9 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Agree Frosty, tis an unfortunate outcome. Really there is little sign of anything wintry, even the EC 46 days and MO outlook show average conditions at best.

The MO outlook doesn't say that at all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Yep more signs we could see an Atlantic Influence although the process could be a bit of a slow one with colder air trying to hang on.

It has felt like it was not meant to be for the UK at the moment, the air was never really forecast to get significantly colder but im sure there will be other opportunties in the next 12 to 14 weeks ahead.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

gfseu-1-162.png?12 gfseu-5-162.png?12
That jet Streak heading North East to South West between Iceland and Greenland is what we need to see over Norway, thats a sure fire way of getting the cold to back west

gfs-0-180.png?12

A rather active low with lots of showers thrown into the mix

Edited by frosty ground
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS is going very unsettled mid term this evening- a conveyor belt of Atlantic lows with attendant heights across Europe..

Paradoxically there is no monster Greenland PV on show , maybe as Nick alluded to this morning, el nino responsible for the sudden coming to life of our nemesis? (The Atlantic)?..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Would be very interesting now in light of today’s models to read the thoughts of SM and Tight Isobar who’ve to date been rather optimistic and bullish in projecting the possibility of a protracted cold spell. Perhaps I’m guilty of oversimplifying this but surely even their views now must entertain the thought of an Atlantic breakthrough, for however long that may last. I must admit I love when amidst all the doom and gloom they manage to put a positive spin on things regarding the potential for cold weather when that time arises.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
32 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

gfsnh-0-144.png?12
The so called west based -NAO

We could scrape a 36 hour northerly with some white stuff as the low cross the UK

Snapshot, its only west based if the LP doesn’t move east through the UK, and looking at that vold air will surge behind on western flank. That still shows encouraging signs abd mo zonal steam train

BFTP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Snapshot, its only west based if the LP doesn’t move east through the UK, and looking at that vold air will surge behind on western flank. That still shows encouraging signs abd mo zonal steam train

BFTP

Can't see many encouraging signs on GFS Fred... looks zonal all the way out to the end?(After day 6/7).

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Can't see many encouraging signs on GFS Fred... looks zonal all the way out to the end?(After day 6/7).

Me neither; it looks like one depression after another, for the foreseeable future? The towel is finely balanced upon the top rope, awaiting the final shove!

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I would love to hear more about this el nino signal kicking off the jet stream and firing up the Atlantic from @Nick F is this easy turned off again if el nino signal stays in place i thought these patterns are hard to shift once in place?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well its been hinted at over several runs but it's beginning to look like a return to mild south westerlies is on the cards in a weeks time. The only saving grace it isn't in the reliable time frame so will go through several changes before firming up on the details.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Me neither; it looks like one depression after another, for the foreseeable future? The towel is finely balanced upon the top rope, awaiting the final shove!

Netweather GFS Image

Would that be thrown in for autumn or winter

Posted
Just now, booferking said:

I would love to hear more about this el nino signal kicking off the jet stream and firing up the Atlantic from @Nick F is this easy turned off again if el nino signal stays in place i thought these patterns are hard to shift once in place?

Yes me too mate, as i said, there is no monster Greenland /Canadian PV driving this uptick in the jet..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, biggreyface said:

Would that be thrown in for autumn or winter

Just for the foreseeable future - which, I admit, doesn't extend for even 15 days...But who knows?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1