Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

GFS 18z at T252 looks exactly like where we started off a week ago . 

856E2685-6999-4BFB-9ED1-67606F27AE96.png

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 1

Posted

Still little point in getting hung up on what happens in the longer term, because there’s still so much uncertainty regarding disruption (or non-disruption) of that low. Models almost always struggle with this setup. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I think as it’s all over the shop atm a break from the models for a few days would be good but not sure I can. I’m thinking by about Friday things will hopefully look a lot clearer, ok it may not be for the better but then again it may all be looking stunning again like it was only a week or so ago. 

Summed up atm imo is blocked but not quite in the right place for us to get the cold, instead we just get cool wet weather which is just awful.

i seem to keep banging on and I really ent got a clue what I’m on about  

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Out to day 10, there are six eps clusters (all under 20%)........if anything is required to tell you how uncertain the evolution will be, that’s it! 

Hi mate 

surely this has gotta come to a conclusion soon ? It’s been dragging on for ages . Feels like weeks .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

As i said earlier(before my post got removed,don't know why as i was discussing the models,maybe i touched a nerve),the divergence in the models start from days 5-6 and will be with the fluidity of blocking locals across the globe right now

will that low stay stationary in the atlantic to draw up WAA into the pole again and maybe create another Scandi high as we have seen in some models or wil it disrupt under the block to our north?

maybe we have to endure another bout of warm southerlies before we have another bite at the cherry

REMEMBER,we are still in November and there is a loooong way to go yet,but it is fastinating model output going on so early in the season.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Hi mate 

surely this has gotta come to a conclusion soon ? It’s been dragging on for ages . Feels like weeks .

I find the 18z fi solution so much more attractive than the mexican  stand off we are currently in ......

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

GFS 18z at T252 looks exactly like where we started off a week ago . 

856E2685-6999-4BFB-9ED1-67606F27AE96.png

The good thing is all these ridges with straight WAA into the pole will have a deleterious effect on the Strat vortex, don't forget the March cols spell needed a couple of these to get the pul of SIberian air to us, this charts has a real touch of the 87's about it.

gfsnh-0-348_kxx5.png

• Like 4

Posted

Yep it ends like this . F0F4B614-7A83-4F23-9049-08ADCD2C2829.thumb.png.61ca2fb9600a26bceabcc9c3f4c26c1e.png

Surley if charts keep being churned out like this , it will only be a matter of time before we hit the jackpot. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wow look what's going on here, long drawn southerlies on the GFS 18z, I know it's in FI but 10C @850mb across Ireland during the first week of December! That would already be above average for the surface temperature let alone higher up @850mb, colder air stuck further to the east 

image.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan Rhodri Roberts
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Good Evening all .. Northern blocking  in situ   .....maybe some  stormy cold weather likely ....above alll zonal weather looks very unlikely 

npsh500.168.png

npsh500-2.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

What better potential, as shown, could one wish for at the start of the meteorological winter?

image.thumb.png.fde39154d56db75cef410a4940e4b685.pngimage.thumb.png.a8e64f01b2e3f8b34bf4ba9f8206c89f.png

Edited by Purga
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

The models take longer to reach a consensus when data is different from the norm, hence the large scatter in predicted outcomes. So I think a period of significant cold looks likely to develop eventually, and even during next week, what was being forecast just a day or two ago as a gradual warm up from the south is now gradually being revised to a continuation of below average temperatures which I think will gradually become colder during next week with the continued easterly starting to pull in colder air again.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Only had 10 minutes to whizz through Tuesday’s charts. Seems more disruption out in the Atlantic than yesterday all in all and energy definitely tracking a bit further south in general. Not all on the same page yet though by the looks of it.

The models are struggling and will continue to do so. Bottom line, amazing potential. Especially considering that today we are still one month (to the day) from the start of the 2018/19 astronomical winter!

1963 didn’t get going for another 5 weeks that winter and 1947 was 4 weeks on from that!  Not making any comparisons, just pointing out great winters don’t have to get started first thing and in most of them there were often near misses and increasingly colder cold spells in the lead up, as the building blocks were dropping into the place.

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 7

Posted

1st out of the blocks this morning is ICON and i'm pleased to say it keeps the UK dry and cold out to 180..

So thats Block 1-0 Atlantic so far..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
19 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

1st out of the blocks this morning is ICON and i'm pleased to say it keeps the UK dry and cold out to 180..

So thats Block 1-0 Atlantic so far..

Yes m8..

Ya cannot knock ye-old icon..

Dog with a bone for cold 'lockdown'!!

And as again some very significant notes..@pacific region..big game player..with eventual fruition!!..

Decent/honest evos..via icon!!

Edit; ..ps- if i see/hear the word 'REDUX'..again i think my heads going 2 explode!!!..

Screenshot_2018-11-21-03-39-56.png

iconnh-0-180.png

icon-0-180.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
7 hours ago, Rocheydub said:

It's not a cliché at all. Ian Fergusson said as much when he used to post here.  His words were (not ver batim) that they used the JMA to support their theories after consulting their model. I assume preferred were MOGREPS and ECM. There was a mention at one point that he personally held it in higher regard to the older GFS...

You missed the joke. I know that it's true, just it's one of those lines that always gets trotted out re: the JMA , mostly when cold is shown. I like it myself as a model. *insert attractive Japanese model here

Posted

Last one for me but just to muddy the waters even further GEM looks different again but is a big improvement on its previous outputs and we see the colder air from the north making inroads into the UK-

gem-0-234.png?00

Day 9 so very much FI..

• Like 4