Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Not too far away that colder air.

The potential  slider could drag us in to the action.Fun to be had as we near winter.

https://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/radar2.php?mode=1

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Bit late today but the 06z ensembles are rather bland. For the start of December something average or mild looks likely to open the month.

image.thumb.png.8aff5d2fdd07e64c04f211fa335739cd.png

The long range signal is also for mild conditions to be more likely. Of course I could be wrong but this is an objective way of looking at things. I was slated for saying 850s don't look very cold and viola here is what we have. The chances of a decent cold spell over the next 10 days look pretty slim now. The swingometer all the way out in December 6th looks mild also.

image.thumb.png.4b9bd89de1af56f0b364d3410e59bcdc.png

Finally here is the global temperature anomalies as a result of the model output, 0.57C above the 1981-2010 average according to GFS temperatures although this model tends to overestimate equatorial temperature anomalies in some areas of Africa. Impressive nontheless.

ANOM2m_mean_equir.png

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Bit late today but the 06z ensembles are rather bland. For the start of December something average or mild looks likely to open the month.

image.thumb.png.8aff5d2fdd07e64c04f211fa335739cd.png

Hi Quick, I understand what you're doing here, but do these graphs not simply show the normal scatter we see from the ensembles? And assuming these are from the GFS then they are never ever going to pick up a proper cold signal at that kind of range?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Hi Quick, I understand what you're doing here, but do these graphs not simply show the normal scatter we see from the ensembles? And assuming these are from the GFS then they are never ever going to pick up a proper cold signal at that kind of range?

Well they picked up the Feb/March 18 cold spell from that range, the Nov 10 and Dec 10 spells, all but one of the numerous spells in 13, and the 09/10 spell at range, the reason most are showing no proper cold spell now is because there is very little chance of it happening within 16 days.

• Like 2

Posted

ICON consistent with its earlier run .... would be nice to see the euro ops stay on the undercut throughout 

notable that what looks to become less of a strong block continues to deflect the jet .... no phasing of the Atlantic with the arctic low heights .... upper ridge entering the fray from the sw late on could simply serve to inflate the ridge again - it remains fascinating ....

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
11 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

You are right in saying we should expect a lot of scatter and if some very cold runs do appear in a mild ensemble set they shouldn't be discounted.

However usually if something is brewing a load of cold ensemble members will appear and then we see the ups and downs that gave the swingometer its well deserved name,

I've not done these swingometers for long. I want to make them a regular thing and archive them for future use and study how the models behave in the run up to cold spells (if we get them!).

So maybe in a years time I'll be able to answer you better  but good questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Well they picked up the Feb/March 18 cold spell from that range, the Nov 10 and Dec 10 spells, all but one of the numerous spells in 13, and the 09/10 spell at range, the reason most are showing no proper cold spell now is because there is very little chance of it happening within 16 days.

I've no time to go back and check, but if you're telling me that the GFS ensembles showed a consensus for deep cold at day 16 on all those occasions then I would be amazed. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I've no time to go back and check, but if you're telling me that the GFS ensembles showed a consensus for deep cold at day 16 on all those occasions then I would be amazed. 

he must have a different set of gfs ensembles because no way did they pick up all the cold spells at that range.Atlantic not going to make inroads it looks like,turning colder again if the icon is correct.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Gfs 12z... hot on the heels of icon..mirrored placements/exactions...the icon quickly becoming the leading note raw !!!!

icon-0-78.png

gfs-0-78.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
12 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Not a consensus at D16, but lets put it this way, at least a few of ensembles will be flatlining at around -8c to -10 within the next 2-3 days if there is to be a proper spell from the north East within 16 days from now, contrary to popular opinion on here, the GEFS are not that bad that there are hardly any ensembles showing a potent cold spell at D10 and the whole suite 'cottons on' and they all collapse on the 850's graph at D8-10.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

GFS looks a lot better also much better Atlantic low shape looks like the block is stronger than the models anticipated,  as always 

Screenshot_20181120-160647.png

Edited by seabreeze86
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Much, much better from the GFS.

Trough.thumb.png.68fce964ea5265c4a0e5f8bd9b1b28a2.png

Major trough disruption, sharper flow across Scandi and lower heights to the S of the UK, fantastic!

Yes a quite phenomenal upgrade really,  let's see were we go from here how much energy will go under the block and how far West can the proper cold air push

• Like 1