Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Im afraid thats not strictly true

If you have one long continuous jet stream then yes its hard to back the cold SW however when you have a jet streak which then moves through the residual flow of the High & low that is left in its wake will advect upper air SW due to the natural flow & wind allignment- its a slower process but if you look at 144 UKMO thats whats happening -

9C986D26-FAFF-4EB6-B3B1-A6B1213292C0.thumb.png.8d76f5c3a7087efedaf60ea2ea040d91.png

The jet is alligned NE SE across scandi not W > E

The cold air then filters SW around the base of the high-

Thanks for the detailed response.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Huge differences on the 06 Z at 168hrs of the location of the low out west compared to the 0Z. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Spah1 said:

Huge differences on the 06 Z at 168hrs of the location of the low out west compared to the 0Z. 

Indeed. This run is much more progressive, not in a good way! Heights are just not strong enough nor positioned correctly to disrupt the low enough.

Stuck in a middle ground as usual on our little island!

33 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

On meteociel - ‘GFS para’

Is that going to completely take over from the GFS? If so that's a shame because only last year I think it was that they added 1hr timeframes to them which is far more detailed and very useful IMO, GFS Para doesn't when I looked at it recently only the original 3hr timeframes, a step backwards? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
3 minutes ago, Jonathan Rhodri Roberts said:

Is that going to completely take over from the GFS? If so that's a shame because only last year I think it was that they added 1hr timeframes to them which is far more detailed and very useful IMO, GFS Para doesn't when I looked at it recently only the original 3hr timeframes, a step backwards? 

Whilst 1hr timescales are useful you're right. Ultimately how successful a model is, is dependent on its verification stats (a judge of how accurate they are when modelling the weather) and currently the GFS Para is verifying better than the main GFS model hence why the Para is going to take over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

6z is one for the bin. Low gets too close, mild SW'erlies return. No thanks.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

All joking aside, wait for the Para/FV3, it is verifying better!

• Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It's not for the bin if it's right, which it could well be.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

ECM ensembles clusters D9

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018112000_216.

Emphasises the problems being caused by the Atlantic low coming up against the block to the NE - ridging could well spill in a number of directions. However, though a cold feed from the NE is just about possible, no clusters obviously scream significant cold this morning, the op cluster being the closest.

D13

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018112000_312.

In all honesty, ridging looks like it will be too far away either to the NW or NE to advect cold to the UK. Also, I detect a pulse of heights into C Europe in all clusters (like the GFS parallel has been showing), which would promote a SW influence. I'm not optimistic about cold chances around this time, therefore.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I don't know but, so long as the PV remains oddly misshapen, just about anything can happen - over a 2-3-week timescale?

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 3

Posted
31 minutes ago, Jonathan Rhodri Roberts said:

That's just because it's the para, the one hour timeframes will still be in the upgraded operational as far as I'm aware.

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

It's not for the bin if it's right, which it could well be.

Oddly enough, I think it's a very good run.

Yes, there are no screaming NE'lies with -20 uppers heading toward us but the one thing the GFS 06Z OP isn't is raging zonality. It's unsettled and often cold condition to the north of the British isles and plenty of rain for all parts (which is badly needed).

Looking at the NH profile, the attempt to build the PV back over Greenland fails and the PV ends up right over the Pole which you don't see every day of the week.

It's a plausible scenario going into December and the possibility of heights rebuilding is clearly there.

Control and Parallel will no doubt look very different.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The ECM weeklies have updated

This week as we know is chilly we know with temps below average for a fair few areas

Monthly-Anomalies-T2m-20181119-w1.png

Week 2 sees a change as the colder air shift east allowing temps to recover for western Europe

Monthly-Anomalies-T2m-20181119-w2.png

Week 3 sees the temps widely above average for western Europe including the UK and the colder air shifting further east

Monthly-Anomalies-T2m-20181119-w3.png

Week 4 see the temps ease back slightly but still remaining widely above average for western Europe

Monthly-Anomalies-T2m-20181119-w4.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, stodge said:

Oddly enough, I think it's a very good run.

Yes, there are no screaming NE'lies with -20 uppers heading toward us but the one thing the GFS 06Z OP isn't is raging zonality. It's unsettled and often cold condition to the north of the British isles and plenty of rain for all parts (which is badly needed).

Looking at the NH profile, the attempt to build the PV back over Greenland fails and the PV ends up right over the Pole which you don't see every day of the week.

It's a plausible scenario going into December and the possibility of heights rebuilding is clearly there.

Control and Parallel will no doubt look very different.

Seems like it's only me and thee, stodge!:santa-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

The lack of posts even after gfs parallel kind of sums things up so far today.Id agree ukmo looks ok even with fairly weak heighths to the northwest.The atlantic could be stirring and forcing things but that's beyond my pay band .

• Like 1

Posted

I’m not a lover of discounting the ens in the. 7/12 day period ..... it rarely produces anything other than disappointment when those ens have been fairly consistent in the mean without any obvious binary outcome being played out, run after run ...

however, this set up is one of those times when the ens could well be incorrect - but it’s doubtful that they are totally incorrect upstream ...... we aren’t getting to the point in the next two days where the behaviour of the Atlantic low will have to come into some cross model agreement between ec op and ukgm ..... resolution by thursdays noon runs I reckon - currently 70/30 in favour of the Atlantic imo but without re inforcements from upstream, that low will fill and not over run the block - there is a balance whereby the low is strong enough to drive WAA against the block but not strong enough to sink the block - that merely strengthens the block in situ .

its interesting ...... meto update will also be of note shortly as it will give us an idea how much the latest 46 is in line with mogreps .... just taking the 46 at face value would mean the wording should change 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

its interesting ...... meto update will also be of note shortly as it will give us an idea how much the latest 46 is in line with mogreps .... just taking the 46 at face value would mean the wording should change 

It hasn't. Still going for colder than average with only infrequent Atlantic incursions. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
8 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Just revisiting this UKMO chart - it's a stones-throw from being sensational

UW144-21.GIF?20-06

Just need to get that Atlantic low to disrupt with perfect timing to undercut the high.

Seen it happen but with the weight of ens guidance opposed to this, I'd only give it a 20% chance right now.

We should all probably go into the Atlantic and stamp on that Low Pressure system in the models. Maybe then, it’ll become flat enough to slide neatly under the block and draw in lots of cold air from the East/North-East. :spiteful:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: See if you can guess
21 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

We should all probably go into the Atlantic and stamp on that Low Pressure system in the models. Maybe then, it’ll become flat enough to slide neatly under the block and draw in lots of cold air from the East/North-East. :spiteful:

Oh my childhood fantasies.....

• Like 2