Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

Back looking at the GFS 18z, more improvements with the elongating low and this new low springing up across the north sea keeping things in a north-easterly. and the sniff of scandi blocking in FI is encouraging 

Edited by Paul
Moving discussion on
  • Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, CanadaAl said:

Not quite disillusioned yet with yesterdays output. Baby steps in the right direction.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Come on guys. Let’s stick to the models please. Cheers!  We’ve got the Private Message / Sticky Notes features that can be used if you have any problems with members (I appreciate some are trying to be helpful, though some of the stuff was uncalled for!)

There’s a possibility we could open up a Technical Model Output thread in the future. It was a thread that was a great addition to the forum. Just we’ve got quite a few model threads running at the moment, but will certainly consider it if people really want it back.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

GFS 00z looks a fair bit better this morning!!

Sheesh i was feeling despondent last night but i think there is grounds for optimism looking at GFS 00z out to 180..

As stated last night expect upgrades as the models tropical bias wanes. Sometimes it's about second guessing the models rather than reading them at face value. My opinion is we start with a battleground snow event followed by north east then northerly winds 

Edited by inghams85
  • Like 4

Posted

Looking at GEFS postage stamps there is everything but the kitchen sink in there, zonal westerlies, uk highs, polar north westerlies and cold north easterlies..a real mixture..

Atlantic westerlies do appear to be favourite but nothing set in stone thats for sure!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Looking at GEFS postage stamps there is everything but the kitchen sink in there, zonal westerlies, uk highs, polar north westerlies and cold north easterlies..a real mixture..

Atlantic westerlies do appear to be favourite but nothing set in stone thats for sure!

Unfortunately NWS  westerlies are the prevailing weather pattern for this part of the world. 

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

I do remember replying to you the other day saying that

ECM day 8 now showing the same as JMA last night -

So - Scandi Iceland scandi for blocking ...

13C36325-097A-4815-A08D-09844562A760.thumb.png.132ffc8db92d529381f9dc09376b98c5.png

I feel like this is where it all started at the beginning of this month. High to the east and trough to the west.

Just a nothing pattern of continual boredom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Yep a good ECM 00z . A continued continental feed for the whole run . Should feel nice and chilly / seasonal for the next 10 days . 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Excellent EC!!

It is rather good. Somehow though I'm expecting to see more despondent comments here this morning. Typically confusing for any unfortunate newbie  That said, hats off to those who said there'd be an improvement in modelled cold chances overnight. Whether that weather comes to fruition though is still to be decided. 

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Excellent EC!!

NH profile agreed, UK cold however is further away. Deep cold way over in Russia! 

I feel like we are trying to squeeze frozen chocolate out a fairy liquid bottle at the moment! It’s hard going!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

NH profile agreed, UK cold however is further away. Deep cold way over in Russia! 

I feel like we are trying to squeeze frozen chocolate out a fairy liquid bottle at the moment! It’s hard going!

Thankfully it is only November...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Very mixed messages all round. The AO forecasts are interesting!

ao.sprd2.gif

Most are recovering back close to neutral, but there are a couple going the other way and off the scale!

• Like 2

Posted

EC looks dry and cold right through to day 10  this morning, bar some unsettled stuff today..

ens will perhaps reveal a bit more, i'd still be expecting quite a lot of variations but hopefully the signal to keep the Atlantic at bay has some support..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

This is of interest to me this morning. Maybe the block is not going to scandi as quick as ecm and gfs go on to show. IF that was to be the case then a northerly/ north easterly in 9/10 days time could be on the cards. Interesting times 

4D3BD700-88E0-410E-8CF3-A01582638618.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

GFS overplaying the role of the Atlantic, with a deep area of low pressure eroding into the high pushing it further east and north.

EC keeps feeding in the Easterly influence, Russia is being put into the deep freeze. 

The  850s on the 0z operational run way above the mean and individual run

Some runs AO suggest a return to neutral. But some  emsemble members are hitting rock bottom. 

The Arctic polar vortex still looks very preturbed, with any arm of the cold potentially  extending southwards. 

It is different this year. No doubt. Be patient. Winters coming. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Pretty good agreement up until around the 27th between the ECM op and ens thereafter we start to see the two differ as the op goes down to around -5 but the mean goes up to around +1

graphe_ens3.thumb.png.dbf56dac30ba14eff0ad03b41e14e2f3.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Forgive me for not feeling the optimism... the det was very much on the cold side of its members by the looks of it. the mean not looking cold for the majority of the uk at D10

1D558BBC-183C-4FB5-8317-0421AC29E7E2.thumb.png.c3b9cc69c6d25dca457c33c41c04fc92.pngF5ECBF84-0271-4E85-8095-09DE0BC8B7B5.thumb.png.c52d4973d004db8690cf2dad44292d70.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow
4 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Latest picture from the village. 

46458568_10156978895478628_7006826242448031744_o.jpg

Any houses for sale,the missus want to retire abroad,somewhere hot,sure you get lovely summers there too,I just won’t mention the winters

• Like 4