Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

One thing I'm noticing this year is a distinct lack of a Canadian and Greenland PV in modelling. Normally the vortex is raging in those regions in particular, and I saw an old chart I had saved from last year and the difference is astounding. One thing that's for sure is the NH atmosphere is behaving strangely this year, ever since that SSW... 

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, ZK099 said:

One thing I'm noticing this year is a distinct lack of a Canadian and Greenland PV in modelling. Normally the vortex is raging in those regions in particular, and I saw an old chart I had saved from last year and the difference is astounding. One thing that's for sure is the NH atmosphere is behaving strangely this year, ever since that SSW... 

Eps mean day 15 ...... apropos of nothing 

5266EF71-4B37-4F9D-855B-B29E2CF3BA40.thumb.jpeg.2fe501ee68be399724dc91e88f862389.jpeg

Posted
12 minutes ago, ZK099 said:

I don't want to sound to pedantic but the PV has actually been quite strong over Greenland and especially Canada this Autumn, hence below average temperatures over Canada during September in particular and that Hudson Bay ice is forming a bit more extensive than normal and there is a strong PV there right at the moment. 

All that said, this is going to change after midweek for that part of the world with above average temperatures(although still will be cold for our standards!) set to dominate, how long that lasts for and what impact if any on our weather remains to be seen. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
26 minutes ago, booferking said:

Updated ICON is an improvement.

Screenshot_20181119-212115_Chrome.jpg

Why? How? What’s improved? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Been busy so just checking the charts, bottom line a moderate swing back to cold from the 12s...

As we wait for the pub run to get going, here's the last 5 CFS runs for December, pressure anomaly - very much suggesting blocked, -AO month...

image.thumb.jpg.d94d55ceb7c94861409cc09f632141e7.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.ae3e561b0cf3833abd574ee409ad1d85.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.e856bffdc2fbad86d59b1ebed08ea5c0.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.2e31d01d8032285d330482e7dc444f46.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.795dcf39d6796f718b4cc76693307eb3.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
12 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Why? How? What’s improved? 

Follow the isobars lines from scandi and the blocking compared to 12z is stronger both charts below

850s also below

Screenshot_20181119-212115_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181119-215311_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181119-215721_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181119-215733_Chrome.jpg

Edited by booferking
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

@nick sussex I know you would like to hear this, today update from NOAA:

The MJO slowed down and weakened over the past few days, partly due to interference with both the base state and a strong equatorial Rossby wave over the West Pacific.  Dynamical model MJO index forecasts depict continued robust MJO activity during the next two weeks. The GEFS forecasts indicate a high amplitude event crossing the Pacific during Week-1 and the Western Hemisphere during Week-2, while the ECMWF has a faster propagating and less amplified event. Statistical guidance also supports robust MJO activity.  As the MJO enhanced phase crosses the Pacific, it will begin constructively interfering with the base state that is transitioning towards El Niño conditions.  The MJO is likely to play a role in tropical-extratropical teleconnections over the next several weeks. A high amplitude Pacific MJO event tends to favor a transition to a negative NAO pattern and colder conditions over the eastern CONUS, which is fairly consistent with long range dynamical model forecasts

I think its better news then worse, no?

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

EC46 - zonal weeks 3 and 4 - worst update of the winter so far

It`s a good job they change more often than the weather then and are about as reliable! (see what I did there) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Now this is a good one

If you had to pick one place away from the mountains to have 2cm of snow by midnight tomorrow, where would you pick? 

If you DIDN'T choose the Isle of Wight... you'd be wrong, according to the last EURO4

Look closely! 

18112100_1912.gif

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Upper ridge anomaly arlound the uk weeks 3 and 4 though this is from the south ....... the dam lines tend to be quite flat by week 4 in our part of the NH .....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS 18z still going for heights to be sucked NW rather than drain SE a la ECM

Much prefer GFS solution tbh even though ECM has a potential Scandi high.

gfsnh-0-144.png?18ECH1-144.GIF

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not suprising Feb...

Things beginning to unravel?

Hope not..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS finally getting hang of the slider! definitely going under here T144:

image.thumb.jpg.8c765dfd8b5d5c17bdd29c4fa888faa6.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.739e60e740b8549d21ab7af43fe5c6b1.jpg

All power to the southern arm of the jet, should be good run this.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Upper ridge anomaly arlound the uk weeks 3 and 4 though this is from the south ....... the dam lines tend to be quite flat by week 4 in our part of the NH .....

That just looks much like a slightly displaced Bartlett further North though, even if you take the anomalies rather than the contours as the features.

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That just looks much like a slightly displaced Bartlett further North though, even if you take the anomalies rather than the contours as the features.

Will wait to see the T2m anomalys (much later) to see what mean flow is expected 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Not suprising Feb...

Things beginning to unravel?

Hope not..

The one positive can take right now is the wavelength number, height and poleward flow lately would mean that even if we go pseudo, quasi or even fully zonal for a short while, it might not be too long before we get more bites of the cherry.

• Like 2

Posted

Nope, it's blown that low into a bowling ball, even after it was disrupting.  T180:

image.thumb.jpg.8c658d3a1a6d1fe48a4636e829090b5f.jpg

Will eat my underpants if that verifies...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1